This family pleasing ultra thick chocolate shake recipe is from the Vegan Chef, Beverly Lynn Bennett. She showcases several of her original recipes in the well-branded book “The Complete Idiot’s Guide to Vegan Living“.
Note: Some brands of rice and nut milks do contain soy lecithin. If you are interested in utilizing a completely soy free milk alternative, try brands such as Pacific Foods Almond Milk.
Special Diet Notes: Ultra Thick Chocolate Shake
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, grain-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, plant-based, vegetarian, and optionally nut-free.
- 4 cups frozen bananas, cut into 2-inch chunks
- 1 cup dairy-free milk beverage
- 3 tablespoon cocoa or carob powder
- 2 tablespoon. maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Remove the frozen banana chunks from the freezer and allow them to thaw for 5 minutes to soften slightly. Place the banana chunks in a blender, along with the remaining ingredients, and process for 2-3 minutes to thoroughly puree and blend flavors. Serve immediately.
Chocolate Shake Variations:
- Add ice cubes if you want a thicker, “frostier” shake
- Use almond or peppermint extract, instead of the vanilla, to vary the flavor
- Add a little nut butter for added flavor and creaminess
- Add in chopped cherries and chocolate chunks for a cherry garcia like shake
- Swirl in a spoonful of caramel for some extra decadence.