This creamy vegan chocolate mousse frosting recipe was created as the topping for these basic vegan chocolate cupcakes. This cupcake combo is a rich delight for any chocolate lover, and perfect for parties. It was modified from the popular cookbook Vegan Cupcakes Take Over The World, and shared with us in honor of Rosh Hashanah.
For those who observe kosher dietary laws, this vegan chocolate mousse frosting is kosher parve. And it’s not only great on cupcakes. You can also pipe or dollop it atop your favorite dairy-free dessert or use it as a rich dip for fresh strawberries or vegan cookies.
Special Diet Notes: Vegan Chocolate Mousse Frosting
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, vegan, plant-based, and vegetarian.
- 1 12-ounce package extra-firm silken aseptic tofu, such as Mori-Nu, drained of excess liquid
- ¼ cup plain soy milk or dairy-free milk beverage of choice
- 2 tablespoons agave syrup or maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 12-ounce package dairy-free semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Crumble the tofu into a blender. Add the soy milk, sweetener and vanilla. Purée until completely smooth.
- In a double boiler, melt the chocolate chips. Use a rubber spatula to mix the chocolate as it melts. Once melted, remove from heat and let cool for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the chocolate to the tofu and blend until combined. Use the spatula to scrape down the sides of the blender every so often.
- Transfer the chocolate mousse topping to an airtight container.
- Chill for 1 hour in the refrigerator before frosting cupcakes.