Vegan Chocolate Peanut Butter Swirl Mousse Pie
This Vegan Chocolate Peanut Butter Swirl Mousse Pie was a runner-up in the So Delicious Dairy Free Recipe Contest (view all recipe entries here)! It was created and submitted by Dione Schwarz, a home cook who just couldn’t stop with a simple mousse pie.
Dione starts with a cocoa graham cracker crust, fills it with a rich peanut butter-chocolate filling (and yes, it sets up!), drizzles the filling with a peanut butter-chocolate agave-sweetened syrup, and tops the whole thing with a generous dose of peanuts and chocolate. As an added bonus, this extravagant mousse pie is no bake, and requires just a little time on the stovetop – perfect for hot summer days when you want to avoid the oven.
Though it might seem tricky to make this mousse pie peanut-free (it can be done with SunButter in place of the peanut butter, another flavor of dairy-free ice cream, and omitting the peanut garnish), the recipe is natural egg-free, dairy-free, and vegan, and can be made gluten-free and soy-free with ease! For gluten-free, simply substitute gluten-free graham crackers (they are good, trust me!) in the crust, or crumble your favorite gluten-free crunchy cookies (we like these). For soy-free, choose your shortening wisely (Spectrum is a great option) and look for dairy-free, soy-free chocolate chips, like Enjoy Life. You can use some more of the chocolate chips in place of the chocolate shavings, if desired.
Vegan Chocolate Peanut Butter Swirl Mousse Pie With Chocolate Peanut Butter Agave Sauce
- 2-1/2 cups crushed vegan graham crackers
- 1 teaspoon organic raw blue agave
- 2 tablespoons organic cocoa powder
- ½ cup non-hydrogenated dairy-free shortening (such as Earth Balance or Spectrum)
- ½ cup roasted peanuts, Chopped
- 1-1/2 ounces dairy-free dark chocolate for decorative shavings, decorative drippings and curls
- In a food processor crush graham crackers until you have crumbs
- Mix together the cracker crumbs, raw blue agave, cocoa powder and shortening.
- Press the mixture into the bottom and 1-inch up the sides of a 10-inch springform pan.
- In a small heavy saucepan over medium high heat, cook the agave until just caramelized with a dark brown appearance. Do not overcook, as the agave can become bitter.
- Remove from heat. Add the peanut butter, milk alternative, and chocolate chips. Mixture will foam up slightly. Stir until chocolate is melted and shiny. Pour into a bowl to cool.
- Soak agar in milk alternative for 15 minutes.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, bring mixture to a boil.
- Remove from heat. Whisk in cocoa powder, chocolate chips, and peanut butter. Fold in yogurt.
- In a large bowl, combine the mixture with the frozen dessert. Run a knife around the cartons of the ice cream to easily get it out of the containers.
- Using an electric mixer blend all ingredients until the filling appears light and whipped, taking on the appearance of chocolate whipped cream.
- Pour filling into the prepared chocolate graham cracker pie crust.
- Cover with plastic wrap and place in the freezer for an hour.
- Once somewhat set, smooth on the topping, and sprinkle with chopped peanuts. Drizzle some melted chocolate (2 tablespoons of vegan chocolate chips in microwave bowl) on top of the nuts for a decorative effect.
- Carefully recover pie with plastic wrap and chill for at least 8 hours or over night in the freezer to completely set.
- Remove from freezer and run a sharp knife around inside of spring form pan to help loosen the pie. Release spring form ring from the bottom of the pan and transfer the pie to a serving plate.
- Grate or curl the dark chocolate over the top for garnish.
- Cut into wedges with a knife that has been dipped into hot water and serve immediately.
For a discount on creamy coconut milk beverage to make this dark chocolate pie or coconut milk ice cream to serve with it, print this So Delicious Dairy Free Coupon
Tagged birthdays, egg-free, gluten-free, soy-free, vegan, vegetarian