This gluten-free apple cobbler recipe is a “dessert” entry in the So Delicious Dairy Free 3-Course Recipe Contest, submitted by reader Vanessa Burnum. For the biscuit topping, she uses Almond Plus Protein Almond Milk from So Delicious.
For more details and to enter the recipe contest, see this post: http://www.godairyfree.org/news/so-delicious-dairy-free-3-course-recipe-contest
Special Diet Notes & Options: Gluten-Free Apple Cobbler
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan and vegetarian.
- 1 cup sorghum flour
- ⅓ cup evaporated cane juice (a.k.a. unrefined sugar)
- ½ cup almond meal
- ½ cup tapioca starch
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons xanthan gum
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup So Delicious Dairy Free Vanilla Almond Plus AlmondMilk
- ¼ cup dairy-free margarine, melted
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 cups tart apples (Granny Smith, Braeburn or Jonagold), cored, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon fresh-squeezed lemon juice
- ½ cup evaporated cane juice
- 2 tablespoons gluten-free all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- Combine dry ingredients in a medium bowl.
- Combine almond milk, margarine, and vanilla extract in small bowl.
- Slowly add wet to dry while stirring. Do not over mix. Stir until just incorporated.
- Stir apples and lemon juice together. Add evaporated cane juice, flour, cinnamon, and extracts, and mix together.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Grease an 8x8-inch baking dish.
- Pour apple mixture into prepared dish, and drop biscuit topping on top by the spoonful.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until cobbler is bubbly and topping is golden brown.