Vegan Granola Pancakes
Many years ago, when I first bet my dear friend, Yvette Hetrick, a foodie and entertainer extraordinaire, she rhapsodized about granola pancakes that she and her husband, Randy, would devour for weekend brunches in San Diego when they were dating. She has a memorable way of describing food and I was sold from her first mention.
After several attempts to reproduce those delectable granola pancakes with no luck, I finally gave up … until recently when a craving struck. My husband had some Bare Naked granola in the pantry—part of his new healthier diet (he is NOT a vegan)–and I had some local strawberries fresh from the farmer’s market in the fridge that were begging to adorn some amazing granola pancakes. And this time, I was successful!
My fairly thick batter is the perfect consistency to support the granola. Be sure to serve the pancakes granola-side up so folks will know these are no ordinary pancakes even before the first bite!
Since families come in all shapes and sizes, this vegan granola pancakes recipe is perfect for celebrating Father’s Day–or any day–your way. As is, it serves one, and can be easily multiplied to serve two, three or more. Plus, you can use different granolas in each cake to suit everyone’s mood and tastes.
This recipe is naturally vegan, vegetarian, egg-free, and dairy-free. You can keep it peanut-free, tree nut-free, and soy-free by choosing your granola, dairy-free margarine, milk alternative, and vegan sour cream or yogurt wisely.
Vegan Granola Pancakes
- Non-stick spray
- ¼ cup unbleached all-purpose flour (Betsy uses white whole wheat)
- 1 teaspoon natural sugar
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ⅛ teaspoon baking soda
- ⅛ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ cup unsweetened or plain soymilk (substitute almond, coconut, rice or flax milk alternative for soy-free)
- 1 teaspoon dairy-free margarine
- 2 tablespoons favorite granola (break up any really large clusters)
- 1 tablespoon vegan sour cream (or your favorite non-dairy yogurt)
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- Fresh fruit (a couple of strawberries, a few blueberries, etc.)
- Spray the bottom of a large cast iron skillet with non-stick cooking spray and heat over medium to medium-high.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, sea salt and soymilk.
- Melt the teaspoon of butter in skillet and swirl to coat.
- Make two pancakes using half of the batter for each, spreading just slightly to perfect shape if desired.
- Cook for a couple of minutes or until there is just a little gooey batter on top, but pancakes are mostly done, as you want the granola to adhere to the top when you flip them, but you don’t want the granola to burn when you cook the top side.
- Sprinkle each pancake with 1 tablespoon of granola, gently press it into the moist batter with a flattened hand, flip, and cook for another 30 seconds to a minute or until done, avoiding scorching the granola.
- Remove pancakes to plate, granola side up.
- Spread one pancake with vegan sour cream, top with second pancake, drizzle with maple syrup, and garnish with fruit.
Tagged egg-free, Father's Day, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, vegetarian