Minty Matcha Smoothie
Last week I shared my healthy, dairy-free version of the infamous Shamrock Shake. And for St. Patrick’s Day I thought it would be fun to offer up another virtuous Shamrock Shake recipe from my good friend, Hannah. Her matcha smoothie recipe (a.k.a. a green tea smoothie) gets its vibrant hue from matcha powder, which is easier to locate than you might imagine. While shopping with her one day in New York, we wandered into some Asian markets, and every single one carried various brands of this versatile ingredient. Even my local grocer has an option in the Asian section. Of course, you can always order matcha (green tea) powder online, too.
But only Hannah would have the culinary genius to spike a matcha smoothie recipe with pure peppermint extract:
Mint and matcha were meant to be together in my opinion, with the bright, clean flavor of mint accentuating and working well with the bitterness of matcha. By no means is this creamy beverage bitter, though. Maple syrup sweetens things quite nicely, although you could substitute agave if cost is a concern.
Keep in mind, this matcha smoothie is a great pick-me-up from St. Patrick’s Day right on through spring and summer. Green tea is known for its anti-inflammation powers and as an excellent source of antioxidants. Plus, it’s a great natural source of energy-boosting caffeine!
Minty Matcha Smoothie
- 2 cups plain soymilk or coconut milk beverage (or your favorite milk alternative)
- ¼ cup maple syrup or agave nectar
- 2 teaspoons matcha / green tea powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ Teaspoon mint extract
- Place everything into your blender and let it rip.
- Once the mixture is homogeneous, pour half of it into ice cube trays (place the remaining mixture in the refrigerator) and set that on an even surface in your freezer. Allow it to freeze completely, this should take about 3 to 4 hours.
- Once frozen, return the smoothie cubes and reserved liquid to the blender jar, and process once more until smooth. Serve immediately.
Tagged egg-free, gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, St. Patrick's Day, summer, vegan, vegetarian