Who says St. Patrick’s Day indulgences have to be loaded with fat and sugar? This breakfast-worthy vegan shamrock shake is not only diet-friendly, it’s also loaded with nutrients that give it a beautiful minty green hue naturally! I enjoy this minty shake throughout the year, but like to share the recipe for this special “green” occasion.
Some of you may be a bit stand-offish with some of the healthy ingredients, but I can assure you that they disappear, melding with the other flavors rather than overpowering. But keep in mind, the process of making this shamrock shake is just as important as the ingredients. To keep it nice and thick (I like to eat it with a spoon!) and to ensure that all of the ingredients blend in completely, you will want to minimize the amount of liquid added.
- 1 very ripe, frozen, medium to large banana, broken into chunks
- 1 ounce avocado (about ¼ of a small to medium avocado)
- 1-2 romaine lettuce leaves or a handful of baby spinach
- ½ cup unsweetened rice milk, almond milk, or coconut milk beverage, or more as needed (use homemade almond or cashew milk for paleo!)
- ⅛ to ¼ teaspoon peppermint extract
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Sweetener to taste (see note below for options, including sugar-free)
- Add all ingredients to your blender, ensuring that the avocado and lettuce are closest to the blades and the frozen banana is furthest from the blades.
- Blend about 1 minute or until it is nice and smooth. If it gets too thick to blend, add a little more milk alternative to get things moving.
No Sugar Added Option: Instead of the above noted sweetener, I used one 25mg Scoop of Stevia plus 1 Teaspoon of Sweet-X Xylitol Crystals.
This recipe is Vegan, Vegetarian, Dairy free, Egg free, Gluten free, Nut free, Peanut free, Soy free, Wheat free, optionally Sugar free, and Low fat.