This vegan shepherd pie is a “main course” recipe entry in the So Delicious Dairy Free 3-Course Recipe Contest, submitted by reader Monica Park. To make the mashed potatoes and creamy base, she uses Coconut Milk Beverage from So Delicious.
For more details and to enter the recipe contest, see this post: http://www.godairyfree.org/news/so-delicious-dairy-free-3-course-recipe-contest
Special Diet Notes & Options: Vegan Shepherd Pie
By ingredients, and depending on the type of vegan sausage used, this vegan shepherd pie recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, peanut-free, soy-free, tree nut-free, vegan, and vegetarian. Some brands of vegan sausage may be made with gluten, soy, and or tree nuts, so choose wisely for your dietary needs.
- 8 potatoes
- ½ cup nutritional yeast
- 1 cup So Delicious Dairy Free Unsweetened Coconut Milk Beverage
- 2 onions
- 2 carrots
- 2 Portobello mushrooms
- 1 eggplant
- 4 vegan sausages
- Salt, to season
- Boil the potatoes and remove skins.
- In a stand mixer, mash the potatoes with ¼ teaspoon salt, ½ cup nutritional yeast, and ½ cup coconut milk beverage.
- Prepare the onions, carrots, mushrooms, eggplant, and vegan sausages by chopping them in pieces.
- Drizzle oil on a frying pan and cook the vegetables and sausages. Season to taste with salt.
- Preheat the oven at 350ºF.
- Add the prepared vegetables and sausages to an oven-safe square glass pan. Drizzle with ½ cup coconut milk beverage.
- As a topping, drop big dollops of mashed potatoes.
- Bake in the oven for about an hour.