The queen of easy vegan recipes, Robin Robertson, has another cookbook out (what is she at, like 328 cookbooks?), and I think all of you set-it-and-forget-it mavens are going to love it! Fresh from the Vegan Slow Cooker contains 200 vegan recipes for your crockpot (I mean it, how does she come up with SO many recipes??), including this fabulous tomato queso dip.
Here is a quick rundown of the chapters / recipe types in Robin’s vegan slow cooker arsenal:
- Chapter 1 Slow Cooker Basics
- Chapter 2 Snacks and Appetizers
- Chapter 3 Soups That Satisfy
- Chapter 4 Stews and Chili
- Chapter 5 Beans and Grains
- Chapter 6 Hearty Main Dishes
- Chapter 7 Simply Stuffed
- Chapter 8 Vegetable Love
- Chapter 9 Condiments from the Crock
- Chapter 10 Don’t Forget Dessert
- Chapter 11 Breakfast and Bread
- Chapter 12 Hot Drinks
Some of the recipes that immediately caught my eye in Fresh from the Vegan Slow Cooker included the Savory Mediterranean Cheesecake, Seven-Spice Cashews, Chipotle Corn Chowder, Slow Cooker Pho (vegan pho! I so want to try this), Creole-Style Jambalaya, Artichoke Risotto, Jerk Tempeh with Sweet Potatoes and Onions, Puttanesca Pizza, Just the Stuffing, Maple-Dijon Glazed Root Vegetables, Butternut Butter, and Chocolate–Peanut Butter Cheesecake.
Of course, I dog-earred all of the above mentioned recipes after I had already trialed a recipe from this cookbook. I literally made it as far as the very first recipe when I said, “That looks easy and I have every ingredient on hand!” And off to the kitchen I went …
Robin’s Vegan Tomato Queso Dip served with Tortilla Chips and Alisa’s Zucchini Fries
Though it did have a cheesy flavor vibe, what we liked most about this dip was its rich texture and full-bodied flavor. For a dip that is relatively low in fat, this vegan slow cooker recipe has amazing comfort food appeal.
Special Diet Notes: Vegan Slow Cooker Tomato Queso Dip
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, grain-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan / plant-based, and vegetarian.
- ¼ cup cashews
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained (Robin uses diced green chiles and less chili powder, but I only had plain diced tomatoes)
- ½ cup nutritional yeast (I use Bob's Red Mill)
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ tablespoon chili powder (mild, medium, or hot - your choice!)
- ½ teaspoon salt, or to taste
- ¼ to ½ cup water
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Grind the cashews in your spice grinder until powdered, about 30 seconds.
- Place the tomatoes with juice in your blender or food processor and puree until smooth. Add the ground cashews, nutritional yeast, mustard, onion powder, garlic powder, cumin, chili powder, and salt, and blend until smooth.
- Lightly oil the insert of the slow cooker or spray it with cooking spray, and transfer the queso mixture to the cooker.
- Stir in the water until well incorporated (use less for a thicker dip, you can add more later if it thickens too much).
- Cover and cook on Low, stirring occasionally, for 2 hours, or until the mixture is thick and hot. If the mixture isn’t thick after 2 hours, turn the setting to High, remove the lid, and cook for 20 to 30 minutes longer.
- When ready to serve, spoon about ⅓ cup of the queso into a small bowl, stir in the lemon juice, then stir the mixture back into the slow cooker.
- Taste, add pepper to taste, and adjust the seasonings, if needed.