The cold weather is giving way to warmer temperatures, the sun is finally shining and strawberries are just beginning to pop up in every local grocery store. The displays are stacked high and the prices are low … it finally feels like spring is here. And what better way to celebrate than with an easy yet impressive, vegan strawberry tart.
This vegan strawberry tart recipe was originally shared with us by Kim at C’est La Vegan several years ago. It got lost in our news section, and I wanted to ensure it found its proper, permanent home in our recipes, so we’re reviving it here, today!
For myself, strawberries are more than just a food. I have very fond memories of picking strawberries at a local farm with my mom and sister when I was quite little. After hours of hard work, mom would fill several flats with those ripe berries, I would be proud of my brimming pail (I am a bit of a perfectionist with fruit, so the selection process didn’t leave as many winners), and my older sister (every time) would return with one single berry in her bucket. The entire time she would just sit and eat – a u-pick farm’s dream I am sure. They should have weighed my sister coming in and leaving to charge for her consumption!24
Special Diet Notes: Vegan Strawberry Tart
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, peanut-free, optionally soy-free (choose soy-free margarine and shortening!), vegan / plant-based, and vegetarian.
For a nut-free, vegan strawberry tart, simply omit the pistachios! It will still be delicious without.
Prefer eggs? Note that the egg replacer used in this vegan strawberry tart is replacing 2 large eggs.
- ⅔ cup sugar
- ⅓ cup dairy-free margarine (Kim uses Earth Balance)
- ⅓ cup non-hydrogenated shortening (or additional margarine)
- ¼ cup warm water
- 1 tablespoon Ener-G egg replacer
- 1¾ cup whole grain spelt flour (or white spelt, or unbleached all-purpose flour)
- 3-4 cups fresh strawberries, hulled and slices
- about 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- about 2 tablespoons shelled and chopped lemon roasted (or plain) pistachios
- Preheat your oven to 350ºF.
- In a mixing bowl, cream together the sugar, margarine and shortening.
- Whisk together the water and egg replacer in a small bowl until the powder is completely dissolved. Add this to creamed mixture and thoroughly combine, scraping the sides of the bowl.
- Add the flour and mix until a soft dough forms.
- Lightly grease a 9-inch tart pan and press dough into the bottom and up the sides of the pan. You may need to wet your hands if the dough is too sticky. Arrange the sliced strawberries on top of the dough and bake for about 30 minutes, or until the edges start to turn golden. (If you use spelt flour, the baking time may be a bit longer).
- Turn the broiler on. Sprinkle about 2 tablespoons of brown sugar over the top of the tart and broil until the sugar is mostly melted. Make sure to watch it so the strawberries don’t burn. Cool, and sprinkle the chopped pistachios on top. Remove from pan to slice. This will keep in the refrigerator for a couple days.