Vegan Tikka Masala
Vegan tikka masala leaps over two hurdles: dairy and meat.
Tikka masala is typically a chicken dish, but in this version from Registered Dietician Ashley Koff, tofu is used to make it vegetarian. For the dairy, everyday dairy-free alternatives are used and the cheese is skipped – trust me, it really isn’t needed with all of these spices!
Special Diet Notes & Option: Vegan Tikka Masala
This vegan tikka masala is naturally vegetarian, dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, peanut-free and tree nut-free.
Just keep in mind that much of our soy supply is GMO. Source non-GMO and organic tofu and soy ingredients made with whole soy (not isolated soy proteins). Wildwood Foods offers a great line-up of organic, whole soy products that are also completely unsweetened! They can be hard to find, but are sold in many grocers throughout the U.S. and worth seeking out.
- 5 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon ginger, grated
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 gram jalapeno chile, chopped
- 3 tablespoon cilantro, chopped and divided
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 pound organic sprouted firm or extra-firm tofu
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped in 1-inch long thin slices
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 3-4 tablespoons plain or unsweetened dairy-free yogurt
- 1 cup plain unsweetened soymilk (such as Wildwood Organic) or unsweetened milk alternative of choice
- Chopped cilantro (for garnish)
- In a bowl, mix the lemon juice, ginger, garlic, jalapeno, half of the cilantro, and chili powder. Season to taste with salt, and stir in the tofu until well-coated. Let marinate for 1 hour.
- Heat the oil in a pan over medium heat and stir in the onions. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes, or until translucent.
- Slowly add the turmeric powder, yogurt, milk alternative and remaining cilantro to the pain. Stir and cook for a few minutes until sauce thickens.
- Add the tofu mixture into sauce and cook for 5 minutes on medium heat. Adjust seasoning to taste.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro and serve immediately with dairy-free Indian Naan bread or heated rice.
Copyright Fleming Marrs Inc. ~ www.GoDairyFree.org
If you liked this post, please share it …
Tagged egg-free, gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, vegan, vegetarian