This recipe for vanilla heart cookies is a “dessert” entry in the So Delicious Dairy Free 3-Course Recipe Contest, submitted by reader Lily Erlic. For both the cookies and the icing, she uses dairy-free Coconut Milk Beverage from So Delicious.
Lily says, “Have you ever wanted to give your special someone in your life a cookie from your heart. If you make these cookies, you can give them one or more from your heart to theirs. Valentines’ Day would be a great day to gift these heart cookies. They have a firm but soft texture with a slight crisp. The icing pairs well with the cookie and gives it that needed touch of love! They are great with a cup of pink tea. So give your sweetheart a pink vegan treat! You will be full of heart if you do (and so will they)!”
For more details and to enter the recipe contest, see this post: http://www.godairyfree.org/news/so-delicious-dairy-free-3-course-recipe-contest
Special Diet Notes & Options: Vanilla Heart Cookies
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, peanut-free, soy-free, tree nut-free, vegan and vegetarian. It’s all around allergy-friendly!
- ½ cup coconut butter
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 1 cup brown rice flour
- 1 cup white rice flour
- 1 teaspoon real vanilla extract or 1 teaspoon ground raw vanilla
- 1-1/2 cups SO Delicious Dairy Free Unsweetened Coconut Milk Beverage
- 1 cup icing sugar
- ½ teaspoon beet powder
- 1 teaspoon coconut butter
- A pinch pink salt
- 3-1/2 teaspoons SO Delicious Dairy Free Unsweetened Coconut Milk Beverage
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Prepare a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, add coconut butter and coconut sugar. Mix well until blended. Add brown rice flour, white rice flour, vanilla and Coconut Milk Beverage. Stir until a wet dough forms.
- Moisten your hands with warm water. Shape into rounds. Flatten with warm, moist hands. Shape about 2 inches in diameter.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- In a medium-sized bowl, add the icing sugar and beet powder. Whisk until blended. Add the coconut butter, pink salt and Coconut Milk Beverage. Whisk well until light and fluffy.
- Place in Icing in a piping bag with a regular tip. Make hearts on each cookie.