Vegan Vodka Sauce
This vegan vodka sauce recipe is a “main course” entry in the So Delicious Dairy Free 3-Course Recipe Contest
, submitted by reader Tara Stack. For the lightly creamy consistency, she uses Coconut Milk Beverage from So Delicious.
Tara says, “This vegan, gluten free, soy free, low calorie alternative is the perfect comfort food.”
For more details and to enter the recipe contest, see this post: http://www.godairyfree.org/news/so-delicious-dairy-free-3-course-recipe-contest
Special Diet Notes & Options: Vegan Vodka Sauce
By ingredients, this vegan vodka sauce recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, peanut-free, soy-free, tree nut-free, vegan, and vegetarian.
Vegan Vodka Sauce
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- ½ cup vodka
- About 3 lbs tomatoes (approximately 8 medium)
- Salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- Italian seasoning, to taste
- 1 cup So Delicious Dairy Free Coconut Milk Beverage
- Heat the oil in a large enameled pot. Toss in the onion. Sauté for about 5 minutes.
- Add the roughly chopped garlic (It will all be pureed later). Sauté for 2 or 3 minutes more, being sure the garlic does not burn.
- Add the vodka and cook off alcohol. The liquid should reduce by more than half.
- Add the tomatoes, salt, pepper, seasoning, to taste. Cover and cook at a simmer for about an hour, checking on it every 20 minutes or so to stir as needed.
- Uncover, remove from the heat, and allow it to cool for about 30 minutes.
- Whisk in the So Delicious Coconut Milk Beverage. Blend with an immersion blender into a puree.
- Serve with pasta of your choice.
If you liked this post, please share it …
Tagged egg-free, food allergy-friendly, gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, vegetarian