This recipe for dairy-free custard cups is a “15 minutes or less” entry in the Fast & Fresh Dairy-Free Time Trials Recipe Contest, submitted by reader Kristen Abbott. For the creamy coconut base, she uses Coconut Milk Beverage from So Delicious.
For that classic consistency, these dairy-free custard cups contain a trio of coconut milk beverage, flour (for thickening) and egg yolks. If you confuse eggs for dairy, you’re not alone. See this post: Are Eggs Dairy?
For more details and to enter the recipe contest, see this post: http://www.godairyfree.org/news/dairy-free-time-trials-recipe-contest
Special Diet Notes & Options: Coconut Dairy-Free Custard Cups
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, and vegetarian.
- ½ cup white sugar
- ¼ cup flour
- 2 cups So Delicious Dairy Free Vanilla Coconut Milk Beverage
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup plus ½ cup shredded sweetened coconut
- In a medium sauce pan, combine sugar and flour until completely mixed.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the so delicious coconut milk and egg yolks.
- Pour this mixture into the sauce pan and whisk completely to combine with the sugar/flour mixture.
- Cook the mixture over high heat, whisking constantly, until thickened and bubbly, about 7 minutes.
- Add vanilla extract and 1 cup of the shredded coconut. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Add remaining ½ cup shredded coconut to frying pan. Over medium-high heat, toast coconut for 4 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds.
- Divide custard between 10 cups or ramekins. Sprinkle each with toasted coconut.
- Serve warm.