In July, the Urban Vegan impressed us all with her post “Summer Express: 101 Simple Vegan Meals Ready in 10 Minutes or Less.” But, summer has passed, making way for cooler temperatures and an abundant fall harvest. In the foodie world, a change in seasons represents a change in cravings, so the Urban Vegan has outdone herself once again, coming up with “Autumn Express: 101 Simple Vegan Meals Ready in 10 Minutes or Less.” Just a few of her ideas that we hope to trial out soon include:
6) Sauté some garlic, onion mixed mushrooms–including shitake, cremini, portabello, and maitake– in olive oil. Add a bit of veggie broth and some flour to thicken, Serve over thick polenta or polenta wedges.
17) Inauthentic-but-Fast Dal: In a saucepan, mix 1 cup clean lentils, sliced ginger, minced garlic, glop of Earth Balance, and curry or garam masala to taste. Add water to cover by 1 inch. Simmer until lentils are soft–about 15 minutes. Adjust seasonings; serve over rice or with rotis or pita bread.
34) Harvest Salad: Mix winter squash cubes, dried cranberries, toasted nuts, chopped, peeled apples and romaine or green leaf lettuce. Toss with your favorite dressing, Serve with hearty rolls.
49) Veggie Crisp: [Think fruit crisp, but with veggies.] Coat a 9 x 9 pan with cooking spray. Toss 2 cups of your favorite vegetables with 2 T of your favorite seasonings. Add salt and pepper and place in pan. Top with 1/2 cup rolled oats, 1/2 cup whole wheat flour, 1/2 cup chopped nuts, and then dot evenly with 1/2 cup Earth Balance. Bake at 400 for about 30 minutes or until golden brown.
63) Quick lunchbox sandwich: Sliced avocado, smear of hummus and stack of spouts, on whole grain bread
72) Dinner waffles: Make your favorite plain waffle recipe, but skip any called-for sugar and add about 1-2 T appropriate herbs. [eg, Herbes de Provence for Provencal]. Line waffle with vegan cheese, tomato and any other desired veggies and enjoy
76) Moroccan Wrap: Drain a can of chickpeas. Mash with 1 T olive oil, 2 T raisins, 1 T cumin, 1/2 tsp cinnamon and 1/4 tsp salt. Line a large spinach tortilla with chickpea mixture and top with shredded carrots. Roll, cut and enjoy.
Unfotunately, the Urban Vegan blog is no longer public, but you can still enjoy the ideas above!