Last week our favorite “farmers” market (a grocery store, but focused on produce, bulk foods, fresh items, etc.) had boneless, skinless chicken breasts on for $1.67 per lb. Since we are using more lean protein, we stocked up. Okay, that is an understatement. We packed our tiny little freezer right to the ice maker! So, when my Taste & Create partner was announced, I ♥ Food 4 Thought, I went straight to the categories on her site and selected chicken. One dish immediately caught my eye, the Balsamic Chicken and Mushrooms.
Let me tell you, it is delicious! In fact, I have already made it a few times. The first time I followed the recipe exactly, and then I added in some of her suggestions and a few of my own tweeks, to create this recipe for Balsamic Chicken with Sautéed Vegetables. The entire dish is very low in fat, sugar-free, gluten-free, egg-free, nut-free, soy-free, and of course, dairy-free.
Special Diet Notes: Balsamic Chicken with Sauteed Vegetables
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, soy-free, nut-free, and peanut-free.
- 1 lb chicken breasts
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1-1/2 teaspoons crushed garlic or 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 8 ounces mushrooms, halved or quartered (depending on size)
- 1 small onion, cut into wedges
- 2 medium zucchini, sliced
- Spread the chicken out in a dish. Combine the vinegar, mustard, garlic, thyme, salt, and pepper in a small bowl. Pour 3 Tablespoons of this mixture over the chicken, flipping it to coat, and cover. Cover the leftover marinade. Place the chicken and leftover marinade in the fridge for at least 4 hours if you have the time.
- When ready to cook, heat the teaspoon of oil in a large skillet over medium heat, moving it around to cover (can use cooking spray instead). Add the chicken along with all of its marinade (not the reserved marinade) and cook until it is cooked through (no pink left in the middle) – I cover it to retain moisture – flipping only once. Remove the chicken and divide it among your serving plates.
- Add the onions to your skillet, and continue to cook for 2-3 minutes, or until they begin to soften. Add the zucchini and reserved marinade, and cook for 2 more minutes, followed by the mushrooms, cooking until all the vegetables reach your desired doneness. Serve the vegetables alongside the chicken. If desired, this dish goes nicely with a grain, such as brown rice or quinoa.