In my continued quest for some breakfast foods that will keep us going in the morning rather than weighing us down, I came across the idea of using some of that ground turkey I keep on hand to make a really quick version of homemade Breakfast Turkey Sausage Patties!
While, I prefer to stir the spices in the night before, so they have time to infuse the meat, but you can easily whip this dish up on the fly. For the best cost savings, look for lean (93%) ground turkey meat on sale. For a leaner product, keep an eye out for deals on ground white turkey breast, which is the leanest you can find (99%). At home, I do use an egg or egg whites to add moisture. If you need an egg-free version, to keep the patties from becoming to dry, I recommend using the 93% ground turkey or perhaps adding a bit of your favorite premade sauce/condiment.
These are a perfect way to refuel after a workout as they’re a high source of protein, while still low fat! I went ultra-lean on this sausage, but for a juicier end product I have included recipes for “leaner” and “lean” turkey sausage. All are low-carb but lean will have the best texture while maintainig some virtue, and ultra-lean will suit super low-fat dieters.
I originally posted this recipe on my old blog and received the following feedback:
I love these! The spices are perfect. I flash freeze the patties when they’re raw, store them in a bag in the freezer, and bake them for 10 minutes at 400. Thanks so much for sharing the recipe! ~ Jodi
I made this last week and it was perfect. Exactly the flavors I wanted. I have no idea what percent my turkey was, just said ground turkey. I felt it was fairly salty with 3/4 tsp, so I’m using the lower amount next time. ~ John
Special Diet Notes: Homemade Turkey Sausage
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, and soy-free. Optionally egg-free.
- ½ to ¾ teaspoon salt (I like ¾ – but it will still be good with ½)
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1 teaspoon sage
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Generous pinch of crushed red pepper
- 1 lb ground turkey*
- 1 egg or 2 large egg whites**
- Mix your spices into the ground turkey. If you have time, cover and chill for at least an hour (preferably overnight) to allow the flavors to meld. If you are in a hurry, skip this step and move ahead to the next one.
- Mix the egg or egg whites into the ground turkey.
- Spray a skillet with cooking spray (or use 1 teaspoon of oil) and heat it over medium heat.
- Scoop the ground turkey (it will be very moist if you added egg, I use an ice cream scoop) into your skillet and flatten it with the back of a spatula.
- Cover and allow the patties to cook for 3 minutes.
- Flip, cover again, and allow them to cook for another 2 to 3 minutes, or until the turkey is cooked through. Don’t cook them too long, as the meat will dry out, but make sure there is no pink left in the middle.
- Serve and enjoy!
Lean – Use 1 lb of 93% Fat-Free Ground Turkey (best for egg-free)
Leaner – Use 1 lb of 97% Fat-Free Ground Turkey
Ultra-Lean – Use 1 lb of 99% Fat-Free Ground White Turkey Meat
**Notes on egg:
Lean – Use 1 Large Egg (optional)
Leaner – Use 1 Large Egg or 1 to 2 Large Egg Whites
Ultra-Lean – Use 2 Large Egg Whites (about 6T pasteurized egg white)