How to get enough protein is a question I get by so many people. Whether fitness buffs, bodybuilders, or moms concerned about growing kids, protein is an essential need, and milk products can be a quick “shortcut” to loading up. But there really are so many other great protein sources and so many wonderful ways to enjoy them! One of my favorite ways is this sneaky Strawberry Julius!
In search of my own protein balance, I created a smooth rich beverage that was intended for post workout recovery (it has a tasty ratio of 4:1 carbohydrates to protein), but can also be enjoyed as an afternoon treat for tots or anyone in need of an evergy boost. And best of all it uses that wonderful in-season fruit, strawberries!
Keep in mind, my recipe for a Rewarding Strawberry Julius is very flexible. For the most authentic taste, use a pasteurized egg white (though plain egg protein powder works very nicely). For an egg-free experience, use another protein powder (such as rice or soy protein) for a more smoothie like consistency.
Special Diet Notes: Strawberry Julius
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, and vegetarian. Optionally egg-free and vegan.
- 2 cups strawberry halves
- ½ cup water
- 3 tablespoons honey or agave nectar
- ½ teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- Pinch salt (optional)
- 2 cups ice
- 1.5 tablespoons Egg Protein Powder (or enough of your favorite protein powder to equal roughly 16 to 18 grams of protein)
- Combine the strawberries, water, honey, vanilla, ice, and salt (if using) in your blender and blend it to a nice smoothie consistency.
- Add more water or ice as you see fit.
- Add in the protein powder and just give it a few quick pulses to blend it in.