I am not sure why I never thought of the deliciously simple combination of watermelon, strawberry, and lime before, but I must thank Bryant Terry for introducing me to it in his latest cookbook, Vegan Soul Kitchen. It inspired this Strawberry-Watermelon Soul Smoothie!
In all honesty, I found this book a bit intimidating at first. It appeared far more culinary than my simple, whole food tastes. But once I took some time to really read through it, the magic was unleashed. Bryant introduces flavor concepts and pairings that had me down-right intrigued and itching to get into the kitchen. On a hot summer day, I decided to chill out with some inspiration from his Double Watermelon-Strawberry Slushee … and oh what a lovely beverage it was …
Special Diet Notes: Strawberry-Watermelon Soul Smoothie
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free, egg-free, gluten-free, soy-free, nut-free, peanut-free, vegan, plant-based, and vegetarian.
- 2 cups (or about 12 ounces) watermelon balls (no seeds!)
- ¾ to 1 cup frozen strawberries
- 1 to 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar, honey, or sugar (or to taste)
- Ice (optional)
- Place the watermelon and strawberries in the blender. Blend until smooth. You may need to push the watermelon down a bit to get it going, but once it starts to blend the juices will be released to keep it going.
- Blend in the lime juice, sweetener, and ice, if using. If you do choose honey, keep in mind that it doesn’t dissolve as well in cold liquids as agave and sugar. Give it a good blend to prevent any “chunks” of honey from remaining.