Updated March 2022! Don’t let the name fool you. California Pizza Kitchen does far more than make pies. This full-service restaurant has a whole menu of pastas, salads, small plates, other mains, and of course, pizzas. There are dairy-free options in every category, but we were particularly impressed with their extensive entrée salad selection. The information below includes both menu items and custom order options for dairy-free guests.
California Pizza Kitchen Dairy-Free Menu Guide with Vegan Options
California Pizza Kitchen goes above and beyond with allergen charts, vegan and vegetarian guides, and an interactive menu. BUT, some of their information is a little confusing. So we contacted the company to gain some clarification. Be aware of special order requirements in parentheses () next to the menu items, and see the Heads Up notes to help fill in the blanks.
Other Allergen & Dietary Notes: Items labeled with an asterisk * are noted as potential cross-contact with milk from an ingredient manufacturer or prep area. But all menu items are at some degree of risk or cross-contamination with milk and other allergens. Speak with your server if concerned. For vegan options, see the Vegan Menu Guide at the bottom of this post.
Small Plates & Appetizers
- White Corn Guacamole + Chips*
- Lettuce Wraps with Chinese Vegetables, Chicken, or Shrimp*
- Sourdough Baguette and California Olive Oil with Mediterranean Herbs*
Heads Up! The Szechwan Chicken Dumplings and Spicy Buffalo Cauliflower surprisingly contain milk.
- Dakota Smashed Pea + Barley
Heads Up! The Sedona Tortilla Soup at California Pizza Kitchen surprisingly contains milk.
- Super Spinach + Quinoa Lunch Salad
- Thai Crunch Salad*
- California Cobb (no cheese, sub dairy-free dressing)
- Italian Chopped Salad (no cheese, sub dairy-free dressing)
- Petite Wedge Salad (sub dairy-free dressing)
- Roasted Veggie Salad*
- The Mediterranean Lunch Salad (no cheese, sub dairy-free dressing)
- The Original BBQ Chicken Chopped Salad (no cheese, no tortilla strips, sub dairy-free dressing)
- Waldorf Chicken Salad (no cheese, no candied walnuts)
Dairy-Free Salad Dressings: Champagne Vinaigrette, Chili Lime Vinaigrette, Dijon Balsamic Vinaigrette, Fat Free Vinaigrette*, Lemon Herb Vinaigrette, Lime Cilantro / Thai Peanut Dressing, Oil & Vinegar
Heads Up! Aside from the cheesy and ranch options, the Mustard Herb Vinaigrette contains dairy.
Make it a Meal: You can “add protein” to your dairy-free salad at California Pizza Kitchen. The Grilled Chicken Breast, Sautéed Salmon, and Grilled Shrimp are made without dairy ingredients.
- California Club (no cheese)
- California Veggie (no cheese)
- Fresh Tomato (no cheese)
- Hawaiian (no cheese)
- Margherita (no cheese)
- Mushroom Pepperoni Sausage (no cheese)
- Pepperoni (no cheese)
- Plant-Based BBQ Chicken (no cheese)
- Roasted Garlic Chicken (no cheese)
- Thai Chicken (no cheese)
- The Original BBQ Chicken (no cheese)
- The Works (no cheese)
- Wild Mushroom (no cheese)
Heads Up! Cross contact with milk is noted for the pizza crusts. The Gluten-Free Cauliflower Crust is made with Cheese. But, at the time of our review, any Original Hand-Tossed or Thin Crist pizza at CPK can be dairy free if ordered without cheese except for the following:
- Carne Asada (currently has Parmesan in the Cilantro Pesto)
- Roasted Artichoke & Spinach (dairy in the Artichoke & Spinach sauce)
- Shrimp Scampi (dairy in Piccata Cream Sauce)
- Spicy Chipotle Chicken (can be dairy free if ordered without cheese and Lime Crema garnish)
- Tostada (can be dairy free if ordered without cheese and Ranch Dressing garnish)
- California Club with Chicken or Turkey
- Banh Mi Bowl
Heads Up! The Santa Fe Bowl at California Pizza Kitchen appears to contain dairy, even without the ranch dressing.
- Kung Pao Spaghetti*
- Tomato Basil Spaghetti*
Heads Up! Their Bolognese and meat sauces contain dairy.
Other Main Plates
- Fire-Grilled Ribeye (no blue cheese butter)
- Fusilli Pasta with Tomato Sauce or Olive Oil*
- Grilled Chicken Breast
- The Original BBQ Chicken Pizza (no cheese)*
- Hawaiian Pizza (no cheese)*
- Pepperoni Pizza (no cheese)*
- Mushroom Pepperoni Sausage Pizza (no cheese)*
- Baby Broccoli*
- Fresh Fruit
California Pizza Kitchen Vegan Menu Guide
- White Corn Guacamole + Chips
- Lettuce Wraps with Chinese Vegetables
- Sourdough Baguette and California Olive Oil with Mediterranean Herbs
- Dakota Smashed Pea + Barley
- Roasted Veggie Salad (sub vegan dressing)
- The Mediterranean Lunch Salad (no cheese, sub vegan dressing)
- California Veggie Pizza (no cheese)
- Fresh Tomato Pizza (no cheese)
- Margherita Pizza (no cheese)
- Plant-Based BBQ Chicken Pizza (no cheese)
- Wild Mushroom Pizza (no cheese)
- Tomato Basil Spaghetti
- Fusilli Pasta with Tomato Sauce or Olive Oil
- Baby Broccoli
- Fresh Fruit
Heads Up! Inquire on the vegan salad dressing options. We were not able to verify the strictly vegan options.
This Post is for Informational Purposes Only
Menus, ingredients, kitchen procedures, management, food sourcing, and restaurant protocols are subject to change at any time. Always read the menu and discuss your dietary needs with the staff before ordering. Make sure they can accommodate your situation. This post is for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as advice.
There is always a risk for potential cross-contamination of allergens in any commercial kitchen. If cross-contamination is an issue for you, always speak with the manager to ensure that your meal can be safely prepared. Listings here do not guarantee that a restaurant is safe enough for your individual needs. Only you can make that decision.
Each location of a chain restaurant has different management and staff, and some might have different owners. This means differences in processes, ingredients used, menu options, and food sourcing can occur. Always verify the safety of your order for your needs at your current location.
Where to Find California Pizza Kitchen
The chain has over 250 locations in more than 30 states and 11 countries. Their heaviest concentration of restaurants is in, you guessed it, California, and on the East Coast. See their website below for addresses, hours, allergen menus, and online ordering.
Average Reader Review
Rate Your Dairy-Free Experience with this Restaurant
What Others Are Saying ...
I love them!
The wait staff was great with answering questions and helped pick out food for my son. The chef would take the time to personally come out to check on how my son liked the food (even asked if he wanted more) and let us know that they used fresh utensils/pots for the food. Always a good experience at our local CPK.