At the forefront of plant-based trends, 16 Handles has launched the first dairy-free frozen yogurt soft serve made with oatmilk and probiotics. In 2019, they kicked off the year with three months of new cashew milk flavors (two of which are still available). But this year, it’s all about oats.
16 Handles Swirls Oat Milk into their Dairy-Free Soft Serve Selection
The initial oat milk flavors are Chocolate Devotion and Dreamboat Coconut, but 16 Handles plans to launch more new oat milk flavors in their shops all year long. Each variety will be artisan made with live and active cultures, and will aim to offer a rich, decadent, and sweet experience.
Since the very beginning, New Yorkers have embraced 16 Handles because of our commitment to quality, innovation, and inclusiveness. We want more options so our vegan and dairy-alternative guests can flaunt their flavor both in our shops and by ordering on our delivery platforms. Our Fro-Yo and ice cream fans are going to be surprised at how delicious these flavors are too. – 16 Handles CEO and founder, Solomon Choi.
This popular Fro You chain has two or three dairy-free and vegan flavors on tap daily. The new oat milk flavors have already been added to their rotation, but might change as the year progresses. See our Dairy-Free Menu below for full details.
Dairy-Free & Vegan Soft Serve Flavors at 16 Handles
At last check, all of the following dairy-free and vegan flavors were available on rotation (2 to 3 daily) at 16 Handles shops. To make them easy to spot, all vegan flavors are clearly labeled above the handle. These flavors are also gluten-free, and they also have gluten-free labels above the handles in store.
- Belgian Chocolate Fudge Sorbet
- Berry Medley Sorbet
- Chocolate Devotion (made with oat milk)
- Coco Loco
- Cookie Dough Craving (creamy cashew milk-based)
- Dannon Passion Fruit Orange Guava Sorbet
- Dreamboat Coconut (made with oat milk)
- Green Apple Sorbet
- Key Lime Sorbet
- Kiwi Strawbae Sorbet
- Orange Appeal Sorbet
- Pomegranate Raspberry Sorbet
- Pumpkin Spice & Everything Nice (creamy cashew milk-based)
- Raspberry Lime Mojito Sorbet
- Silk Vanilla Almond Milk
- So Fresh Mango Sorbetto
- Strawberry Lemonade Sorbet
- Strawberry Vanilla Sorbet
- Watermelon Sorbet
- Yo Soy Vanilla (creamy soy milk-based)
Their crafted flavors do change occasionally. And it looks like their Yo Soy Chocolate, Welch’s Superfruit Mighty Concord Grape Sorbet, and cashew-based Chocolate Hazelnut Truffle flavors have been discontinued for now.
Dairy-Free & Vegan Smoothies at 16 Handles
We have been told by 16 Handles that their Sorbet Smoothies are dairy-free, and their Surf’s Up smoothie is listed as Vegan. Depending on the location, you might have the option to make their other smoothies dairy free.
Dairy-Free & Vegan Toppings at 16 Handles
The dairy-free topping options at this popular chain are actually quite extensive, and they include a few sweet sauces. They also began offering new vegan chocolate chips when the cashew milk-based flavors were announced. At last check, all of the following garnishes appeared to be dairy-free and vegan, unless otherwise noted. But be sure to check in store to verify (ingredients can change!).
- Almonds, Roasted
- Apple Jacks (not listed as vegan)
- Birthday Cake Oreos (not listed as vegan)
- Cap’n Crunch (not listed as vegan)
- Carrot Cake Oreos (not listed as vegan)
- Chocolate Creme Oreos (not listed as vegan)
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Pie Oreos (not listed as vegan)
- Cinnamon Toast Crunch (not listed as vegan)
- Cocoa Puffs (not listed as vegan)
- Coconut Flakes
- Cookie Crisp (not listed as vegan)
- Froot Loops (not listed as vegan)
- Fruity Pebbles (not listed as vegan)
- Goji Granola
- Honey (not vegan)
- Maraschino Cherries
- Mint Chocolate Chip Oreos (not listed as vegan)
- Mint Creme Oreos (not listed as vegan)
- Mixed Fruit Jellies
- Oreo Cookies (not listed as vegan)
- Peanut Butter Sauce
- Rainbow Fruit Slices
- Rainbow Sour Tape
- Raspberry Jam Sauce (with seeds)
- Raspberry Sauce
- Red Velvet Oreos (not listed as vegan)
- Sour Patch Kids Raspberry
- Spring Oreos (not listed as vegan)
- Strawberry Sour Tape
- Toasted Almond Crunch
- Trix Cereal (not listed as vegan)
- Vegan Belgian Chocolate Chips
- Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough by DŌ, Cookie Dough Confections
- Vegan Chocolate Strawberry Cookie Dough by DŌ, Cookie Dough Confections
- Vegan Cookies & Cream Bites by Allie’s GF Goodies
- Vegan Cookies & Cream Cookie Dough by DŌ, Cookie Dough Confections
- Vegan Peanut Butter Cookie Dough by DŌ, Cookie Dough Confections
- Vegan Pumpkin Spice Cookie Dough by DŌ, Cookie Dough Confections
- Vegan Belgian Chocolate Chips
- Wet Walnuts
- Winter Oreos (not listed as vegan)
Important Topping Notes
Their “vegan” labeling doesn’t seem to be very reliable online. Since they are sourcing name brand cereals and cookies, I listed the items on our list above that are dairy-free. I can’t verify ingredient sourcing, like sugar, but for the most part, those cereals and cookies also appear to be vegan.
16 Handles doesn’t list the ingredients of their toppings on their website, so there are probably more dairy-free options. At first glance, it looks like the following toppings might be dairy-free: Blue Raspberry Gummi Rings, Candy Corn, Coconut Flakes, Gummi Bears, Jelly Rings, Papa Bear Gummies, Peanuts, Sour Patch Kids, and Sprinkles. But check in store to verify.
Cross-contamination with toppings is a big concern in frozen yogurt shops. Dairy-containing toppings can easily find their way into neighboring dairy-free ones. If concerned, ask the fro yo specialist to get a fresh topping from the back. They are usually happy to help.
Where to Find 16 Handles
For ten years, 16 Handles has been named New York City’s #1 frozen yogurt. They have shops dotted around the big apple. But they also have locations in other parts of New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, and Florida. See their website below for menus, locations, phone numbers, and hours. And if you want one in your area, they are franchising!