Updated 2020! This dairy free Starbucks post was updated with food and beverage changes and their new allergen notice! Before you listen to the rumors, read this post.
Oh how Starbucks has evolved over the years. When I first posted about this mega coffee house chain, it was to share the dairy-free versions of their “new” Vivanno Nourishing blends. Those have since vanished from the menu. And sadly, their wonderful Tazo tea menu has also been replaced by an overly sweet, floral Teavana line-up. However, for dairy free Starbucks coffee drinkers or a quick vegan nosh on the go, the options have actually expanded. Scroll through our guide, or use these jump links to get ahead:
- What’s New at Starbucks
- Dairy-Free Drinks at Starbucks (Hot, Cold, Bottled, and Seasonal)
- Dairy-Free Starbucks Food
Dealing with a milk allergy? Jump to the Allergen Info!
Starbucks Puts 3 Non-Dairy Cold Foam Beverage on their Menu
June 23, 2020 – Starting today, Starbucks customers can now order two new dairy-free cold brew coffee beverages. Both drinks will be on their summer menu, and available at their stores across the U.S.
The new vegan-friendly drinks are Cold Brew with Cinnamon Almondmilk Foam and Cold Brew with Dark Cocoa Almondmilk Foam. The Cinnamon version (also available in Canada) is made with Starbucks Cold Brew and topped with cinnamon, vanilla, and almondmilk cold foam. The Dark Cocoa version is similar, but the almondmilk cold foam is spiked with their chocolaty dairy-free mocha sauce and cocoa powder. Each contains less than 50 calories for a grande.
In the Midwest, California, and Canada, Starbucks is also expanding their oatmilk options. Customers in these regions will be able to order a non-dairy Cold Brew with Cinnamon Oatmilk Foam. Like the others, it starts with Starbucks Cold Brew, but is topped with cinnamon, vanilla, and oatmilk cold foam.
More Recent News from Starbucks
May 21, 2020 – Iced Guava Passionfruit Joins Chilly Non-Dairy Drinks
The Iced Coconutmilk Drinks that Starbucks launched in March quickly became fan-favorites, so the company has come out with a third flavors: Guava Passionfruit. The new Iced Guava Passionfruit Drinkis a mixture of guava, passionfruit, pineapple and ginger flavors, hand-shaken with coconutmilk and ice for a cool and creamy beverage.
March 3, 2020 – New Line of Iced Coconutmilk Drinks Hit the Permanent Menu
Starbucks plant-based beverage line just keeps expanding! They’ve launched two cool flavors of dairy-free Iced Coconutmilk Drinks that add to their already vibrant selection. The Iced Pineapple Matcha Drink includes premium matcha green tea hand shaken with pineapple and ginger flavors, coconutmilk, and ice. The Iced Golden Ginger Drink features ginger, pineapple and turmeric flavors, coconutmilk, and ice. Both varieties are available across the U.S.
January 7, 2020 – New Drinks for Plant-Based Focus
Starbucks CEO Kevin Johnson has pledged to expand their plant-based menu ins his recently published sustainability commitments for the brand. To kick things off, Starbucks is adding new oat milk and almond milk coffee drinks in their shops.
Select menus now include a non-dairy Oatmilk Honey Latte made with shots of Starbucks Blonde Espresso, a dash of honey, steamed oat milk, and a toasted honey topping. This new beverage can be ordered iced or hot, and will be available at roughly 1,300 locations in some of the chilliest U.S. states: Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri and Wisconsin. Customers at these locations can also order oatmilk in other coffee drinks.
If you aren’t in the midwest, have no fear – Starbucks is adding more non-dairy drinks to their permanent menu throughout the U.S. and Canada. The Almondmilk Honey Flat White includes Starbucks Blonde Espresso, steamed almond milk, and a dash of honey. It’s typically topped with a dot of foam, but make sure you specify almond milk foam. The Coconutmilk Latte features shots of Starbucks Blonde Espresso, steamed coconut milk, and a Cascara sugar topping. Both of these new options can also be ordered hot or iced.
How to Order Dairy Free Starbucks Drinks
We have all the details on the dairy free Starbucks beverages, including hot, cold, and pre-packaged. I have also added their new allergen information, which was sent out via an alert in July 2018. It doesn’t change much in terms of their policies, but was intended for transparency and awareness.
All Starbucks locations now have coconut milk beverage and soymilk on hand for whipping up dairy-free lattes, mochas, and more. Most locations also have non-dairy almond milk available, and as noted above, you can now find oatmilk at most midwest Starbucks stores. The downside: you still have to pay extra for this “upgrade”.
But you must use caution with the add-ons. Syrup might seem like a dairy-free no-brainer, but a few Starbucks flavors contain milk. Not to mention the whipped cream toppers and powdered blenders. I created this guide to dairy-free syrups & sauces which is helpful at many coffee houses, but Starbucks uses their own in-house sauces and syrups. The following is a detailed list of their dairy-free drinks, add-ons, and how to order dairy-free Starbucks drinks!
Always relay your dietary needs to the staff, and confirm that your order is dairy free as needed. Ingredients are subject to change at any time. This is just a helpful guide for informational purposes only. Please kindly comment below if you see any menu changes.
Starbucks Dairy-Free Drinks on the Menu
These beverages can be ordered as is, because they’re intended to be dairy-free and vegan!
- Almondmilk Honey Flat White (available hot or iced)*
- Almondmilk Honey Flat White with Starbucks Blonde Espresso (available hot or iced)*
- Oatmilk Honey Latte (available hot or iced; Midwest and California only)*
- Oatmilk Honey Latte with Starbucks Blonde Espresso (available hot or iced; Midwest and California only)*
- Coconutmilk Latte (available hot or iced)
- Coconutmilk Latte with Starbucks Blonde Espresso (available hot or iced)
- Cold Brew with Cinnamon Almondmilk Foam
- Cold Brew with Cinnamon Oatmilk Foam (Midwest and California only)
- Cold Brew with Dark Cocoa Almondmilk Foam
- Iced Golden Ginger Drink
- Iced Guava Passionfruit Drink
- Iced Pineapple Matcha Drink
- Refreshers (all fruity varieties)
- Refreshers Star Drink (made with coconutmilk)
- Refreshers Dragon Drink (made with coconutmilk)
- Refreshers Pink Drink (made with coconutmilk)
- Refreshers Violet Drink (made with coconutmilk)
- Steamed Apple Juice
* These menu items are not strictly vegan due to the addition of real honey.
The Vanilla Bean Coconutmilk Lattes (hot and iced) and Hazelnut Mocha Coconutmilk Macchiato are no longer on the permanent menu, but can still be made on request.
Special Order these Dairy-Free Starbucks Drinks
The following drinks can easily be made dairy free and vegan (unless otherwise noted), while still retaining some or all of their specialty flavors. Order them with your dairy-free milk beverage of choice (almond, coconut, soy, or oat) instead of dairy milk, and follow any other noted instructions.
- Blonde Caffè Latte
- Blonde Cappuccino
- Blonde Chestnut Praline Latte (Hold the Whip – double check in store)
- Blonde Cocoa Cloud Macchiato (Hold the Caramel Sauce)*
- Blonde Flat White
- Blonde Peppermint Mocha (Hold the Whip – double check in store)
- Blonde Salted Caramel Mocha (Hold the Whip & Caramel Sauce)*
- Blonde Vanilla Latte
- Caffè Latte
- Caffè Misto
- Caffè Mocha (Hold the Whip)
- Chai Latte (Not Vegan, Contains Honey)
- Chestnut Praline Latte (Hold the Whip – double check in store)
- Cinnamon Dolce Crème (Hold the Whip & Cinnamon Dolce Topping)
- Cinnamon Dolce Latte (Hold the Whip & Cinnamon Dolce Topping)
- Cocoa Cloud Macchiato (Hold the Caramel Sauce; Cloud is Not Vegan, Contains Egg)*
- Espresso Macchiato
- Flat White
- Hot Chocolate (Hold the Whip)
- London Fog Tea Latte
- Matcha Green Tea Latte
- Peppermint Hot Chocolate (Hold the Whip)
- Peppermint Mocha (Hold the Whip – double check in store)
- Reserve Latte
- Royal English Breakfast Tea Latte
- Salted Caramel Hot Chocolate (Hold the Whip & Caramel Sauce)*
- Salted Caramel Mocha (Hold the Whip & Caramel Sauce)*
- Skinny Mocha
- Steamed Milk
- Caffè Vanilla Frappuccino (Hold the Whip)
- Caramel Frappuccino (Hold the Whip & Caramel Sauce)*
- Chai Crème Frappuccino (Hold the Whip; Not Vegan, Contains Honey)
- Chestnut Praline Crème Frappuccino (Hold the Whip)
- Chestnut Praline Frappuccino (Hold the Whip)
- Coffee Frappuccino (Hold the Whip)
- Caramel Frappuccino (Hold the Whip & Caramel Drizzle)*
- Chocolate Cookie Crumble Crème Frappuccino (Hold the Whip & Frappuccino Chips)
- Double Chocolaty Chip Crème Frappuccino (Hold the Whip & Frappuccino Chips)
- Java Chip Frappuccino (Hold the Whip & Frappuccino Chips)
- Espresso Frappuccino (Hold the Whip)
- Matcha Green Tea Crème Frappuccino (Hold the Whip)
- Mocha Cookie Crumble Frappuccino (Hold the Whip & Frappuccino Chips)
- Mocha Frappuccino (Hold the Whip)
- Peppermint Mocha Crème Frappuccino (Hold the Whip)
- Peppermint Mocha Frappuccino (Hold the Whip)
- Salted Caramel Mocha Creme Frappuccino (Hold the Whip & Caramel Sauce)*
- Salted Caramel Mocha Frappuccino (Hold the Whip & Caramel Sauce)*
- Strawberry Crème Frappuccino (Hold the Whip)
- Vanilla Bean Crème Frappuccino (Hold the Whip)
Other Cold Coffee & Tea Drinks
- Blonde Doubleshot On Ice
- Cold Brew Coffee with Milk
- Doubleshot on Ice Beverage
- Iced Blonde Caffè Latte
- Iced Blonde Chestnut Praline Latte (Hold the Whip)
- Iced Blonde Cocoa Cloud Macchiato (Hold the Caramel Sauce; Cloud is Not Vegan, Contains Egg)*
- Iced Blonde Peppermint Mocha (Hold the Whip)
- Iced Blonde Salted Caramel Mocha (Hold the Whip & Caramel Sauce)*
- Iced Blonde Vanilla Latte
- Iced Caffè Latte
- Iced Caffè Mocha (Hold the Whip)
- Iced Chai Latte Tea (Not Vegan, Contains Honey)
- Iced Chestnut Praline Latte (Hold the Whip)
- Iced Cinnamon Dolce Latte (Hold the Whip & Cinnamon Dolce Topping)
- Iced Cocoa Cloud Macchiato (Hold the Caramel Sauce; Cloud is Not Vegan, Contains Egg)*
- Iced Coffee with Milk
- Iced Flat White
- Iced Golden Ginger Drink
- Iced London Fog Tea Latte
- Iced Matcha Green Tea Latte
- Iced Peppermint Mocha (Hold the Whip)
- Iced Pineapple Matcha Drink
- Iced Salted Caramel Mocha (Hold the Whip & Caramel Sauce)*
- Nitro Flat White
- Reserve Iced Latte
*Caramel Drinks – I’ve listed some of their caramel drinks with a note to hold the caramel sauce. These particular drinks are made with additional syrups, like toffee nut syrup, so they are still unique even without the caramel sauce. You could also ask for a drizzle of caramel syrup instead, since it is dairy-free.
**Several years ago, Starbucks reformulated their frappuccino formula to make it suitable for dairy-free and vegan visitors.
Starbucks Dairy-Free Sauces, Syrups & Toppings
- Caramel Brulee Topping (but not the sauce)
- Caramel Sugar Topping
- Caramel Syrup
- Cascara Topping
- Chai Tea Concentrate (not vegan, contains honey)
- Chestnut Praline Syrup (double check the “natural flavors” in store)
- Chestnut Praline Topping (double check the “natural flavors” in store)
- Chocolate Cookie Grind Topping
- Cinnamon Dolce Syrup
- Classic Syrup
- Cloud Powder (not vegan, contains egg)
- Cocoa Powder Topping
- Coffee Frappuccino Syrup
- Crème Frappuccino Syrup
- Dark Chocolate Curls
- Irish Cream Syrup (double check the “natural flavors” in store)
- Hazelnut Syrup
- Holiday Sugar Sparkles With Crispy White Pearls Topping
- Matcha Tea Blend
- Mocha Sauce
- Peppermint Syrup (double check the “natural flavors” in store)
- Pumpkin Spice Topping
- Refresher Bases (all fruit flavors)
- Sea Salt Topping
- Skinny Mocha Sauce
- Smoked Butterscotch Sugar Topping (but not the sauce)
- Strawberry Puree Sauce
- Sugar-free Cinnamon Dolce Syrup
- Toffee Nut Syrup
- Vanilla Bean Powder
- Vanilla Syrup
- Vegan Pumpkin Spice Latte Sauce (UK only)
AVOID: Starbucks Sauces, Syrups & Toppings that CONTAIN DAIRY
- 125 Ped Cream
- Caramel Brulee Sauce
- Caramel Drizzle
- Caramel Sauce
- Cascara Cold Foam*
- Cinnamon Dolce Topping
- Cold Foam*
- Dark Caramel Sauce
- Frappuccino Chips
- Lemon Spiced Cold Foam*
- Pumpkin Cream Cold Foam
- Pumpkin Spice Sauce
- Salted Cream
- Salted Vanilla Sweet Cream
- Smoked Butterscotch Sauce
- Toasted White Chocolate Mocha Sauce
- Vanilla Sweet Cream
- Whipped Cream
- White Chocolate Mocha Sauce
*Cold Foam – Several baristas have reported that the nondairy milks they use do not foam well, so they don’t recommend it. If you must try dairy-free cold foam, I’ve heard their soymilk foams the best. But a few baristas have reported they prefer the almondmilk for foam. Check with your local barista. Many of the locations have two cold foam blenders, so some have opted to dedicate one blender to the non-dairy milks. Check to see if your local shop is one of them!
But Are They Allergy-Friendly?
Recently, I’ve heard many rumors about Starbucks changing their policies for handling allergens. As it turns out, they haven’t changed their processes, but they are trying to be more transparent. As before, pitchers should be rinsed and fresh pitchers can be requested, but the presence of milk is still abundant at each shop. Those with a severe milk allergy should use caution when ordering drinks and food, and might want to stick to safe pre-packaged and pre-bottled options. Many people, including myself, go basic with simple coffee or tea.
Here is their new allergen alert:
Starbucks reviews its practices on an ongoing basis to look for better ways to work and provide transparency to our customers and partners (employees). Starting July 10 , Starbucks removed dairy labels from steaming and blending pitchers. Because our beverages are made using shared equipment (steaming wands, blender pitcher, rinsers) the removal of the sticker is more transparent and realistic of how the pitchers are used. As a beverage standard, our baristas use a rinsed pitcher for each handcrafted beverage. If you have questions or concerns, please ask your barista to remake the drink using a fresh pitcher and please remember that this does not guarantee that the beverage will be allergen-free.
For pre-packaged options, Evolution Fresh juices are available. Most of the smoothies from this brand now contains milk, but it looks like Starbucks is no longer carrying the smoothies. Either way, stick to their bottled juices (not protein drinks) and verify the ingredients.
They’ve also started selling bottled Frappuccino Chilled Coffee Drinks with Almondmilk in Vanilla and Mocha (you can order these on Amazon). The DoubleShot Coffee Smoothies with Almond Milk in Dark Chocolate and Vanilla Honey are also dairy-free. The bottled almondmilk options are also sold in grocery stores. Please check the packaging before purchasing to ensure that these products are safe for your needs.
Dairy Free Starbucks Eats
On their website (below), Starbucks now includes allergen information for all of their standard food items. These can change often, but at last check (September 2019) they listed the following items as not containing milk:
- Pumpkin Bread (seasonal)
- 8-Grain Roll (also vegan)
- Plain Bagel (also vegan)
- Sprouted Grain Vegan Bagel (also vegan)
- Cinnamon Raisin Bagel (also vegan)
- Blueberry Bagel (double check in store)
- Everything Vegan Bagel (Canada; their everything bagel in the US still contains dairy)
- Blueberry Oat Cake (also vegan – exclusive at their Hawaii stores)
Heads Up: Everything bagels are typically dairy free, but Starbucks bakes their version with cheese. However, they are reportedly removing the cheese to make it vegan. Some stores might already have the dairy-free and vegan version.
Unsure: The Banana Nut Bread appears dairy-free by ingredients (not vegan, it contains eggs), but online they have a “contains milk” allergen label. It’s possible that it’s in the natural flavor, but it could be an error. Check in store.
RIP: Sadly, the vegan Macadamia Oat Cookie has been pulled from their main menu.
- Classic Oatmeal (also vegan)
- Hearty Blueberry Oatmeal (also vegan)
- Seasonal Fruit Blend
- Strawberry Overnight Grains (also vegan)
- Strawberry & Toasted Almonds Overnight Grains (also vegan)
- Vegan Blueberry Yogurt Parfait (Canada)
RIP: It looks like they discontinued the Seared Steak, Egg & Tomatillo Wrap and the Vegan Superberry Açaí Bowl.
- Avocado Spread (also vegan)
Mercato Menu (select locations)
- Chicken & Fig Spread Sandwich
- Honey BBQ Sriracha Chicken Sandwich
Again, see their menu to confirm and for ingredient information.
Depending on the location, you might find vegan Hippeas packs, Rhythm Super Foods Kale Chips, That’s It Bars, This Bar Saves Lives, Kind bars, and Justin’s Dark Chocolate Peanut and Almond Butter Cups. And they have Justin’s Classic Almond Butter and Chocolate Hazelnut Butter single-serve packets for topping their bagels. Starbucks also released 3D Dream Pops made with non-dairy ice cream (pictured above). But they were initially launched in just five Los Angeles area locations. Hopefully the distribution expands!
Starbucks regularly changes their menu, and we do our best to update this post. But please KINDLY comment if you see any changes or updates that need to be made. As always, verify that the ingredients and production are safe for your needs. Ingredients are subject to change at any time. And there is a lot of milk flying about in Starbucks, which can pose risks for people with a milk allergy.
Where to Find Starbucks
They have locations around the globe. To find addresses and hours, visit the website below.
Make Your Own Coffee Drinks & Baked Goods with Go Dairy Free:
Average Reader Review
Rate Your Dairy-Free Experience with this Restaurant
What Others Are Saying ...
This is very helpful info! Do you know if the Impossible Breakfast Sandwich minus cheese is dairy free?
Response from Go Dairy Free
It isn’t dairy-free. Both the bun and the fried egg patty contain milk. The only thing on it that’s dairy-free is the plant-based impossible patty itself.
Iced salted caramel mocha
Super good but I didn’t know it was made with regular milk 😩
Response from Go Dairy Free
As noted above, “Order them with your dairy-free milk beverage.” You must make sure to specific your dairy-free milk of choice when ordering any of their beverages.
Just what I was looking for
This is great, I have a dairy allergy so I need this. So excited to try some drinks. Thank you so much!!
Other dairy free option??
I so, so appreciate this article! I feel much more confident ordering now. FYI, on the Starbucks app, you can request no cheese on any of the hot sandwiches. However, it is unclear whether or not their egg patties have a milk product mixed in or not. I’ve been avoiding it just in case!
Response from Go Dairy Free
The fried egg patties and puffed scrambled egg patties do contain milk. The cage-free scrambled eggs (used in the wrap) do not.
I went to drive thru for breakfast and asked what was vegan. The guy suggested a protein box without the egg or cheese, which didn’t sound like much. I asked about bagels because I recalled they were vegan. He said none of the bagels were vegan or gluten free (not the same thing). It would be good for staff to know what is vegan and what is not. I ended up getting the sprouted grain bagel with avocado. Afterwards I read this article and realized I could have gotten oatmeal and maybe even a vegan parfait!
This was BEYOND helpful!! Thank you to whoever wrote this.
I have a severe dairy allergy but it’s unfortunate that i have to miss out on certain drinks. But with this I can literally edit almost anything I want to try. Thank you so much!!
Response from Go Dairy Free
You’re welcome 🙂