Updated November 2023! Oh how Starbucks has evolved over the years. When I first posted about this mega coffee house chain, it was to share the dairy-free versions of their “new” Vivanno Nourishing blends. Those have since vanished from the menu. And sadly, their wonderful Tazo tea menu has also been replaced by an overly sweet, floral Teavana line-up. However, for dairy free Starbucks coffee drinkers or a quick vegan nosh on the go, the options have actually expanded. Scroll through our guide, or use these jump links to get ahead:
- What’s New at Starbucks
- Dairy-Free Drinks at Starbucks (Hot, Cold, and Seasonal)
- Starbucks Sauces, Syrups, and Toppings Guide
- Dairy-Free Starbucks Food
- Starbucks at Home (grocery products)
Dealing with a milk allergy? Jump to the Allergen Info!
News from Starbucks
November 2, 2023 – Gingerbread Joins the Dairy-Free Holiday Starbucks Menu
Starting today, Starbucks holiday menu is back. It includes the return of the vegan Iced Sugar Cookie Almondmilk Latte, plus some all new dairy-free Gingerbread drinks. Through the holidays, you can also order the Iced Gingerbread Oatmilk Chai at all Starbucks locations and the Oleato Gingerbread Oatmilk Latte where Oleato beverages are sold. The Iced Gingerbread Oatmilk Chai Latte is flavored with their chai concentrate (not vegan; it contains honey) and gingerbread syrup, both of which are dairy-free, and garnished with pumpkin spice. The Oleato Gingerbread Oatmilk Latte is vegan-friendly, and infused with gingerbread syrup and olive oil and adorned with a sprinkle of tangerine ginger sugar.
August 24, 2023 – Starbucks Falls for Dairy-Free Apple Crisp
Truth be told, Starbucks isn’t really living up to their plant-based promise. Many of their dairy-free and vegan menu items have been slipping away, and they still haven’t made the PSL dairy-free. But this season, they are doubling down on their Apple Crisp offerings. Starting today, the Apple Crisp Oatmilk Macchiato is returning, and it’s joined by the new Iced Apple Crisp Oatmilk Shaken Espresso. Both are vegan-friendly, made with blonde espresso, enriched with oatmilk, and layered with flavors of apple, cinnamon, and brown sugar.
February 23, 2023 – Starbucks Dips Into the Olive Oil Market with New Drinks
Starbucks has unveiled a line of coffee beverages that combine their signature arabica coffee with a a spoonful of Partanna cold pressed, extra virgin olive oil. The new drinks are touted as velvety smooth, delicately sweet, and rich in flavor, and they include a few dairy-free options. The Oleato Caffè Latte is a simple blend of espresso, oatmilk, and EVOO, while the Oleato Iced Shaken Espresso steps it up with sweet hazelnut flavor. At Starbucks Reserve locations, the Oleato Iced Cortado will also be available with espresso, oatmilk, EVOO, demerara syrup, and a dash of orange bitters. The Oleato collection is launching first in Italy, but will be in Southern California in spring, and will soon be available throughout the United States, United Kingdom, Middle East, and Japan.
January 3, 2023 – Starbucks U.K. Cuts Dairy-Free Milk Surcharge and Releases Veganuary Menu
It’s official. Starbucks is dropping its surcharge for non-dairy milk alternatives in the U.K. They’re celebrating this newfound dairy-freedom with a sizable Veganuary menu. On the beverage side, they’ve released a limited edition Caramelised Macadamia Oat Latte, which is topped with a sprinkle of caramelised macadamia flavour topping. If you’re not strictly vegan, they’ve also brought back the dairy-free Honey Hazelnut Oat Latte. On the food menu, you can find the vegan No’Beef and Red Onion Focaccia sandwich, Plant-Based Breakfast Wrap, Banana Caramel Muffin, and Raspberry & Almond Mini Loaf. As mentioned, these Veganuary specials are in the U.K., not North America, and are available for a limited time.
How to Order Dairy Free Starbucks Drinks
We have all the details on the dairy free Starbucks beverages, including hot, cold, and pre-packaged. I have also added their new allergen information, which was sent out via an alert in July 2018. It didn’t change much in terms of their policies, but was intended for transparency and awareness.
All Starbucks locations now have coconut milk beverage and soymilk on hand for whipping up dairy-free lattes, mochas, and more. They also serve non-dairy almondmilk and oatmilk available, but at some locations this can change seasonally. The downside: you still have to pay extra for this “upgrade” in most countries. In 2023, Starbucks U.K. eliminated the surcharge, but North America has yet to follow suit.
But you must use caution with the add-ons. Syrup might seem like a dairy-free no-brainer, but a few Starbucks flavors contain milk. Not to mention the whipped cream toppers and powdered blenders. I created this guide to dairy-free syrups & sauces which is helpful at many coffee houses, but Starbucks uses their own in-house sauces and syrups. The following is a detailed list of their dairy-free drinks, add-ons, and how to order dairy-free Starbucks drinks!
Always relay your dietary needs to the staff, and confirm that your order is dairy free as needed. Ingredients are subject to change at any time, and different locations can have different levels of allergen safety. This is just a helpful guide for informational purposes only. Please kindly comment below if you see any menu changes.
Starbucks Dairy-Free Drinks on the Menu
In addition to their coffee (ordered black), plain tea drinks, and lemonades, these beverages can be ordered as is. They’re intended to be dairy-free, and most are vegan (see * notes)!
Coffee & Tea
- Apple Crisp Oatmilk Macchiato (available hot or iced)
- Honey Almondmilk Flat White (available hot or iced)*
- Iced Apple Crisp Oatmilk Shaken Espresso
- Iced Brown Sugar Oatmilk Shaken Espresso
- Iced Toasted Vanilla Oatmilk Shaken Espresso
- Oleato Caffè Latte with Oatmilk
- Oleato Gingerbread Oatmilk Latte
- Oleato Iced Cortado (reserve locations)
- Oleato Iced Shaken Espresso with Oatmilk and Toffeenut
- Oleato Reserve Caffè Latte (reserve locations)
- Peppermint Matcha Latte with Oatmilk (secret menu)
- Starbucks Iced Gingerbread Oatmilk Chai*
- Sugar Cookie Almondmilk Latte
- Dragon Drink (made with coconutmilk)
- Paradise Drink (made with coconutmilk)
- Pink Drink (made with coconutmilk)
- Blended Strawberry Lemonade
- Frozen Pineapple Passionfruit Lemonade Refreshers
- Frozen Strawberry Açaí Lemonade Refreshers
- Frozen Mango Dragonfruit Lemonade Refreshers
- Refreshers (all fruity varieties)
- Steamed Apple Juice
Straight Up! Of course, the plain Brewed Coffee, Cold Brew, Espresso Shot, Caffè Americano (hot or iced), and Teas (hot or iced) are naturally dairy-free. You can customize them with your milk alternative of choice and flavor shots. See our sauces, syrups, and toppings guide below, or read on for menu customizations.
Just Ask! The Honey Almondmilk Cold Brew, Honey Oatmilk Latte (hot or iced), Vanilla Bean Coconutmilk Lattes (hot and iced), and Hazelnut Mocha Coconutmilk Macchiato are no longer on the permanent menu, but can still be made on request.
Special Order these Dairy-Free Starbucks Drinks
The following drinks can easily be made dairy free and vegan (unless otherwise noted*), while still retaining some or all of their specialty flavors. Order them with your dairy-free milk beverage of choice (almond, coconut, soy, or oat) instead of dairy milk, and follow any other noted instructions.
Hot Drinks (ordered with dairy-free milk beverage)
- Blonde Vanilla Latte
- Caffè Latte
- Caffè Misto
- Caffè Mocha (Hold the Whip)
- Chai Tea Latte*
- Chestnut Praline Crème Steamer (Hold the Whip) (seasonal)
- Chestnut Praline Latte (Hold the Whip) (seasonal)
- Cinnamon Dolce Crème Steamer (Hold the Whip & Cinnamon Dolce Topping)
- Cinnamon Dolce Latte (Hold the Whip & Cinnamon Dolce Topping)
- Espresso Macchiato
- Flat White
- Gingerbread Latte (Hold the Whip)
- Hot Chocolate (Hold the Whip)
- London Fog Tea Latte
- Matcha Green Tea Latte
- Peppermint Hot Chocolate (Hold the Whip & Chocolate Curls) (seasonal)
- Peppermint Mocha (Hold the Whip & Chocolate Curls) (seasonal)
- Royal English Breakfast Tea Latte
- Starbucks Reserve Dark Chocolate Mocha
- Starbucks Reserve Latte
- Steamed Milk
- Vanilla Crème Steamer (Hold the Whip) (seasonal)
Heads Up! The Starbucks Reserve Hazelnut Bianco Latte cannot be made dairy free, because it uses a dairy milk that is infused with hazelnut praline flavor and sweetened condensed milk.
Frappuccinos*** (ordered with dairy-free milk beverage)
- Apple Crisp Oatmilk Crème Frappuccino (Hold the Whip) (seasonal)
- Apple Crisp Oatmilk Frappuccino (Hold the Whip) (seasonal)
- Caffè Vanilla Frappuccino (Hold the Whip)
- Caramel Frappuccino (Hold the Whip & Caramel Sauce)**
- Chai Crème Frappuccino (Hold the Whip)*
- Chestnut Praline Frappuccino (Hold the Whip) (available coffee or crème; seasonal)
- Coffee Frappuccino (Hold the Whip)
- Chocolate Cookie Crumble Crème Frappuccino (Hold the Whip & Frappuccino Chips)
- Espresso Frappuccino (Hold the Whip)
- Matcha Green Tea Crème Frappuccino (Hold the Whip)
- Mocha Frappuccino (Hold the Whip)
- Mocha Cookie Crumble Frappuccino (Hold the Whip & Frappuccino Chips)
- Mocha Crème Frappuccino (Hold the Whip)
- Peppermint Mocha Frappuccino (Hold the Whip) (available coffee or crème; seasonal)
- Strawberry Crème Frappuccino (Hold the Whip) (seasonal)
- Sugar Cookie Almondmilk Frappuccino (Hold the Whip) (available coffee or crème; seasonal)
- Vanilla Bean Crème Frappuccino (Hold the Whip)
Other Cold Coffee & Tea Drinks (ordered with dairy-free milk beverage)
- Cold Brew Coffee with Milk
- Cold Brew Coffee with Lemonade (seasonal)
- Iced Black Tea Lemonade (optionally blended) (seasonal)
- Iced Blonde Vanilla Latte
- Iced Caffè Latte
- Iced Caffè Mocha (Hold the Whip)
- Iced Chai Latte Tea*
- Iced Chestnut Praline Latte (Hold the Whip) (seasonal)
- Iced Cinnamon Dolce Latte (Hold the Whip & Cinnamon Dolce Topping)
- Iced Coffee with Milk
- Iced Flat White
- Iced London Fog Tea Latte
- Iced Matcha Green Tea Latte
- Iced Peppermint Mocha (Hold the Whip & Chocolate Curls) (seasonal)
- Iced Royal English Breakfast Tea Latte
- Iced Shaken Espresso
- Iced Starbucks Reserve Dark Chocolate Mocha
- Iced Starbucks Reserve Latte
- Irish Cream Cold Brew (Hold the Cold Foam) (seasonal)
* These menu items are not strictly vegan due to the addition of real honey.
**Caramel Drinks – I’ve listed some of their caramel drinks with a note to hold the caramel sauce. These particular drinks are made with additional syrups, like toffee nut syrup, so they are still unique even without the caramel sauce. You could also ask for a drizzle of caramel syrup instead, since it is dairy-free. Please note that the caramel syrup is not the same as the caramel sauce or the caramel drizzle.
***Several years ago, Starbucks reformulated their frappuccino formula to make it suitable for dairy-free and vegan visitors.
Starbucks Dairy-Free Sauces, Syrups & Toppings
You can craft your own dairy-free beverage with the following. Some are seasonal, so your local shop will not have all of the following at any given time. But they will have many of these!
- Apple Brown Sugar Syrup
- Caramel Brulee Topping (but not the sauce)
- Caramel Sugar Topping
- Caramel Syrup (this is not the same as the caramel sauce or the caramel drizzle)
- Cascara Topping
- Chai Tea Concentrate (not vegan, contains honey)
- Chestnut Praline Syrup
- Chestnut Praline Topping
- Chocolate Cookie Grind Topping
- Chocolate Cookie Mint Sprinkle
- Chocolate Malt Powder
- Cinnamon Dolce Syrup
- Classic Syrup
- Cloud Powder (not vegan, contains egg)
- Cocoa Powder Topping
- Coffee Frappuccino Syrup
- Crème Frappuccino Syrup
- Gingerbread Flavored Syrup
- Irish Cream Syrup
- Hazelnut Syrup
- Holiday Sugar Sparkles With Crispy White Pearls Topping
- Honey Blend
- Macadamia Syrup
- Matcha Tea Blend
- Mocha Sauce
- Peppermint Syrup
- Pumpkin Spice Topping (not the sauce, this is basically spices)
- Red Green Sprinkles
- Refresher Bases (all fruit flavors)
- Salted Brown Butter Cookie Flavored Topping
- Sea Salt Topping
- Smoked Butterscotch Sugar Topping (but not the sauce)
- Spiced Apple Drizzle
- Strawberry Puree Sauce
- Sugar Cookie Flavored Syrup
- Sugar-free Cinnamon Dolce Syrup
- Tangerine Ginger Sugar
- Toasted Cookie Topping
- Toasted Honey Topping
- Toffee Nut Syrup
- Vanilla Bean Powder
- Vanilla Syrup
- Vegan Pumpkin Spice Latte Sauce (UK only)
Heads Up! The Salted Brown Butter Cookie Flavored Topping might be dairy-free. We are waiting on confirmation of the natural flavors.
AVOID: Starbucks Sauces, Syrups & Toppings that CONTAIN DAIRY
- 125 Ped Cream
- Caramel Brulee Sauce
- Caramel Drizzle
- Caramel Sauce
- Cascara Cold Foam*
- Chocolate Sweet Cream
- Cinnamon Dolce Topping
- Cold Foam*
- Dark Caramel Sauce
- Dark Chocolate Curls
- Frappuccino Chips
- Lemon Spiced Cold Foam*
- Macadamia Cream
- Pistachio Sauce
- Pistachio Sweet Cream
- Pumpkin Cream Cold Foam
- Pumpkin Spice Sauce
- Salted Caramel Cream
- Salted Vanilla Sweet Cream
- Smoked Butterscotch Sauce
- Toasted White Chocolate Mocha Sauce
- Vanilla Sweet Cream
- Whipped Cream
- White Chocolate Mint Sauce
- White Chocolate Mocha Sauce
*The cold foam must be ordered specifically with a non-dairy milk beverage to be dairy-free. According to Starbucks, the dairy-free milks don’t perform as well for cold foam.
But Are They Allergy-Friendly?
I’ve heard many rumors about Starbucks changing their policies for handling allergens. As it turns out, they haven’t changed their processes, but they are trying to be more transparent. As before, pitchers should be rinsed and fresh pitchers can be requested, but the presence of milk is still abundant at each shop. Those with a severe milk allergy should use caution when ordering drinks and food, and might want to stick to safe pre-packaged and pre-bottled options. Or go basic with simple coffee or tea. You can also order flavor shots and milk alternatives, but request to stir yourself rather than having your drink shaken or steamed.
Here is their new allergen alert:
Starbucks reviews its practices on an ongoing basis to look for better ways to work and provide transparency to our customers and partners (employees). Starting July 10 , Starbucks removed dairy labels from steaming and blending pitchers. Because our beverages are made using shared equipment (steaming wands, blender pitcher, rinsers) the removal of the sticker is more transparent and realistic of how the pitchers are used. As a beverage standard, our baristas use a rinsed pitcher for each handcrafted beverage. If you have questions or concerns, please ask your barista to remake the drink using a fresh pitcher and please remember that this does not guarantee that the beverage will be allergen-free.
Does Starbucks Offer Vegan Whipped Cream
In 2020, they tested vegan whipped cream in the UK, and it is still on the menu in many locations. In the U.S., they have sparsely begun testing a lentil-based, dairy-free whipped cream – rumor has it at just two locations in Washington state. If it becomes more widespread, we’ll update!
Dairy Free Starbucks Eats
On their website (below), Starbucks now includes allergen information for all of their standard food items. These can change often, but at last check, they listed the following items as not containing milk in the U.S (food items might vary in other countries).
- Bagel, Everything (also vegan)
- Bagel, Plain (also vegan)
- Bagel, Sprouted Grain (also vegan; Canada only)
- Banana Walnut & Pecan Loaf
- Pumpkin & Pepita Loaf
- Blueberry Oat Cake (also vegan – exclusive to their Hawaii stores)
Heads Up: Starbucks was test marketing a vegan dark chocolate fudge brownie. At last check, it isn’t currently available, at least not in most stores. The double chocolate brownie that’s available in most stores does contain milk. vegan brownie listed above. Check to see which one your store carries before ordering!
- Rolled & Steel Cut Oatmeal (also vegan)
- Seasonal Fruit Blend (also vegan)
Heads Up: The only thing on the Impossible Breakfast Sandwich that is dairy-free is the patty. A vegan plant-based breakfast sandwich was test marketed, but it hasn’t been added to their permanent menu. All of their egg patties and several of their breads do contain milk. The Breaded Chicken Breakfast Fillet and Oat Biscuit Roll are made without milk, but that sandwich comes premade with maple butter.
- Avocado Spread (also vegan)
Lunch (select locations)
RIP: Unfortunately, the Chickpea Bites & Avocado Protein Box, Chicken & Fig Spread Sandwich, Egg Salad Sandwich, and Honey BBQ Sriracha Chicken Sandwich appear to be discontinued.
Heads Up! Many components on Starbucks sandwiches, beyond the cheese, contain milk. The naan in the Chicken & Hummus box does contain milk.
Depending on the location, you might find vegan chips, That’s It Bars, This Bar Saves Lives, Kind bars, and Justin’s Dark Chocolate Peanut and Almond Butter Cups. And they have Justin’s Classic Almond Butter and Chocolate Hazelnut Butter single-serve packets for topping their bagels. Starbucks also released 3D Dream Pops made with non-dairy ice cream. But they were initially launched in just five Los Angeles area locations. Hopefully the distribution expands!
For grab-and-go, pre-packaged drinks, Evolution Fresh juices are available. Most of the smoothies from this brand now contain milk, but it looks like Starbucks is no longer carrying the smoothies. Either way, stick to their bottled juices (not protein drinks) and verify the ingredients.
Starbucks has also released some dairy-free coffee beverages and creamers for at-home enjoyment. These products are primarily sold in grocery stores, not Starbucks stores. They include Oatmilk Cold Brew Bottles, Oatmilk Frappuccinos, and Almond & Oatmilk Creamers.
Dairy-Free Starbucks at Home
The Starbucks at Home line now includes a great range of products that you can buy at the store. All of these are sold at grocers, and are not available at Starbucks coffee shops.
- Starbucks Non-Dairy Creamers – These popular creamers have stuck around for several years. Their current flavors include Caramel, Hazelnut, and a seasonal Pumpkin Spice Latte.
- Oatmilk Cold Brew – Their multi-serve cold brew is available in one lightly creamy, dairy-free variety: Dark Chocolate.
- Oatmilk Frappuccinos – Starbucks dairy-free, single serve drinks have come and gone from the market with some regularity. Their current offerings are these creamy oatmilk blends in Caramel Cookie Waffle and Dark Chocolate Brownie.
This Post is for Informational Purposes Only
Menus, ingredients, kitchen procedures, management, food sourcing, and restaurant protocols are subject to change at any time. Always read the menu and discuss your dietary needs with the staff before ordering. Make sure they can accommodate your situation. This post is for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as advice.
There is always a risk for potential cross-contamination of allergens in any commercial kitchen. If cross-contamination is an issue for you, always speak with the manager to ensure that your meal can be safely prepared. Listings here do not guarantee that a restaurant is safe enough for your individual needs. Only you can make that decision.
Each location of a chain restaurant has different management and staff, and some might have different owners. This means differences in processes, ingredients used, menu options, and food sourcing can occur. Always verify the safety of your order for your needs at your current location.
Where to Find Starbucks
They have locations around the globe. To find addresses and hours, visit the website below.
Low Protein free items ?
My son has a strict diet which consists on dairy free and low protein items ? Is helpful but always looking if the are higher in protein !
I am a college student with EOE, and had to go dairy-free last year. I visit Starbucks often, and am always wanting to try new drinks… I always have this site pulled up as it is sooo helpful!
Response from Go Dairy Free
Happy we can help!
Worth the Bux😉
Super informative. I’ve recently crossed over to the lactose free side and was happy to see so many options even if it might cost more. This is a choice haters-so if you don’t want to pay extra, drive away & make your own!
Good but expensive for dairy allergies.
The coffee they serve is good, I enjoy talking with the servers in my town and they also know that I’m lactose intolerant. My only gripe is having to pay over $7 for my drink due to the change if milk.
This is a beautiful beautiful list! I can not say i am vegan but i am dairy sensitive and with the PSL rolling out again i was curious to see if alterations could be made to it regarding the foam and from there stumbled onto this list and it is immaculate. I will be using this as a staple for sure!
I am traveling again and Starbucks is everywhere. Now I know what is safe to eat
I learned a few things!
I don’t retain information well. I actually used your blog to help a guest!
Response from Go Dairy Free
Glad we could help!
very nice and specific
very nice and specific as well if i do say so myself
So helpful!!! Thank you for doing this and if people actually knew how to READ there wouldn’t be any discrepancies! Come on people, they did all the hard work. The least you could do is read carefully.
Hi – this is very helpful but i have a question as several of the drinks you have listed as vegan have honey in them. Does that mean the drink does not actually have honey but rather is honey flavored?
Response from Go Dairy Free
There is an * on the items that contain honey – see the notes!