Updated 2021! Did you know that Del Taco is short for Delicious Taco? Despite the very specific name, this chain serves more than tacos. They have burritos, bowls, and even burgers on their fast food menu. They have nearly 600 locations in 15 US states. The largest majority of their restaurants are in California, Nevada, Oregon, and Washington, but they are located in most of the western states and have a few outposts in the eastern states.
Del Taco is also one of the most vegan-friendly major fast food chains. a few years ago, they test marketed Beyond Meat Tacos. They’ve since rolled it out nationwide, and have vegan options right on the menu along with many more options that are dairy-free or can be special ordered without dairy.
No Dairy (Milk-Based) Ingredients (see disclaimer below)
- Tacos – Beyond Taco (no cheese), Beyond Avocado Taco, The Crunchy Del Taco (no cheese), The Soft Del Taco (no cheese), Habanero Crispy Chicken (no cheese), Honey Mango Crispy Chicken (no cheese), CrunchTada Tostada (no cheese), Value Taco (no cheese)
- Burritos – Epic Original Beyond Mex Burrito, Epic Fresh Avocado Beyond Burrito, Beyond 8 Layer Burrito (no cheese, no sour cream), 8 Layer Veggie Burrito (no cheese, no sour cream), Del Combo Beef Burrito (no cheese), Del Beef Burrito (no cheese), Macho Combo Burrito (no cheese, no sour cream), Bean & Rice Burrito (no cheese), Epic Honey Mango Crispy Chicken & Bacon (no cheese, no sour cream)
- Chicken – Crispy Chicken & Fries Basket
- Burgers – Kids Hamburger
- Bowls – Avocado Veggie
- Salads – Signature Taco Salad (no cheese, no sour cream)
- Sides – Crinkle Cut French Fries, Chili Fries (no cheese), Cilantro Lime Rice, Black Beans, Pinto Beans, Fried Tortilla Chips, Guacamole, Chips & Guac, Bean Cup (no cheese)
- Kids – Hamburger Kid Loco Meal, Taco Kid Loco Meal (no cheese), Bean Burrito Kid Loco Meal (no cheese)
- Breakfast – Hashbrown Sticks, Eggs, Bacon, Chorizo, Breakfast Toasted Wrap (Egg, Bacon, or Chorizo; no cheese), Huevos Rancheros Epic Burrito (no cheese, no sour cream), Breakfast Burrito (Egg, Bacon, or Chorizo; no cheese), Epic Scrambler Burrito Burrito (Bacon or Chorizo; no cheese), Breakfast Rollers (Egg, Bacon, or Chorizo; no cheese)
- Sauces – Creamy Habanero Sauce, Del Scorcho Sauce, Green Sauce, Guacamole, Honey Mango Sauce, Inferno Sauce, Mild Sauce, Red Sauce, Salsa, Salsa Casera
- Drink Flavorings – Chocolate Syrup, Real Strawberry Topping, Vanilla Syrup
Other Allergen Notes
- Del Taco uses a Grill Seasoning that contains a milk ingredient for many of their proteins, so there is a high risk for cross-contamination on the shared grill.
- Please note that the grilled chicken and carne asada contain milk in their marinades. The chipotle sauce and “secret sauce” used on some of their menu items also contain milk.
- The ground meat and pinto beans at Del Taco are made without dairy ingredients, but they all contain gluten and soy. However, the black beans and new Beyond Meat option are made without dairy-free, gluten, and soy. The cilantro lime rice and crunchy corn taco shells also appear to be made without gluten.
- In the past, you could order their Del Burger, Double Del Burger, and Bacon Double Del Burger without dairy with no cheese. Their Burger Sauce was listed as dairy-free. It still looks dairy-free by ingredients, but according to their allergen chart it now contains milk. We’re following up.
- Sorry, the Churros and Donut Bites are not dairy-free.
- We did spot some errors in Del Taco’s listings (ie the Epic Cali Beyond Burrito was listed as milk-free, but it contains sour cream and cheese, and oddly, carne asada on the menu). The allergen chart was also a bit dated. So the above information is a combination of our research efforts.
Vegan Menu Items at Del Taco
The Beyond Avocado Taco, Avocado Veggie Bowl, Hashbrown Sticks, and Crinkle-Cut Fries are listed as Vegan. Other “Beyond” and “Veggie” menu options must be modified to be vegan (no cheese, no sour cream, and vegan sauces). But according to the company, their Beans (pinto and black), Fresca Lime Rice, Tortillas, Guacamole, Green Sauce, Hot Sauces, Salsas, and Vegetable Toppings are vegan-friendly.
More Details from Del Taco
Allergen Disclaimer from Del Taco: We did not see an allergen disclaimer, but their kitchen obviously handles a lot of top allergens! Use caution when ordering if a severe or sensitive food allergy is your concern.
Restaurant Website: www.deltaco.com
Allergen Information: www.deltaco.com/menu
Last Updated: February 15, 2020
Average Reader Review
Rate Your Dairy-Free Experience with this Restaurant
What Others Are Saying ...
Del Taco has one of the best websites for allergens and ingredients of all fast food places
I said it all above