Updated 2018! Bruegger’s is a fast casual bakery-cafe that focuses on bagels. In fact, they produce about 70 million bagels each year. However, they also serve salads, sandwiches, and other baked goods (most of which contain dairy). They have a few hundred restaurants in the U.S. and Canada. The website for both countries is the same, so I believe our list below covers the U.S. and Canadian locations.
No Dairy (Milk-Based) Ingredients (see disclaimer below)
- Bagels (as available) – Blueberry, Bruegger Bites, Cinnamon Raisin, Cinnamon Sugar, Egg, Everything, Garlic, Onion, Plain, Poppy, Pumpernickel, Pumpkin, Rosemary Olive Oil, Salt, Sesame, Sundried Tomato, 12 Grain, Whole Wheat (Cranberry Orange, Everything Whole Wheat, French Toast, Honey Grain, Jalepeno, and Sesame Whole Wheat are still list as milk-free on their allergen chart, but are no longer listed as available on their website)
- Spreads – Hummus
- Breads & Wraps – Wheat Bread, Ciabatta (changed to dairy-free after the allergen chart release)
- Deli Sandwiches (on Plain Bagel or Wheat Bread)* – BLT, Chicken Breast, Garden Veggie, Garden Veggie with Hummus, Tuna Salad
- Salads – Mixed-Greens Base
- Salad Dressings – Balsamic Vinaigrette, Champagne Vinaigrette, Feta Olive Oil (it sounds like this is just the name – not that it contains feta, but verify before ordering)
- Soups – Chicken Spaetzle*, Garden Vegetable
- Condiments – Chipotle Sauce, Dijon Mustard, Honey Mustard, Honey, Horseradish Mayo, Hummus, Grape Jelly, Strawberry Jelly, Mayo, Peanut Butter, Sriracha Sauce
- Eggs – Egg White Patty, Liquid Egg White, Fresh Cracked Egg
- Meat – Bacon, Chicken Breast, Ham, Pastrami, Salmon, Sausage, Turkey Sausage, Tarragon Chicken Salad, Tuna Salad, Turkey
- Vegetables & Other Toppings – Sliced Almonds, Sesame Seeds, Capers, Cucumbers, Green Peppers, Lettuce, Pickles, Pickled Red Onions, Red Onions, Red Peppers, Tomatoes, Dried Cranberries
- Hot Beverages – Oregon Chai Tea
- Flavored Syrups (for hot beverages) – Almond, Caramel, Chocolate, Hazelnut, Vanilla
Other Allergen Notes: None of the prepared salads are dairy-free. You can special order a couple of them without the cheese, but make sure they hold the croutons, too. They contain quite a bit of dairy. Also, their allergen chart states that the Whole Egg Patty is made without milk, but the ingredients do include whey. This is why it isn’t on our list. The options at Bruegger’s are very limited for gluten-free diners. There are a couple of soups, and possibly a customized salad.
*Some of the soup and sandwich information on their website is conflicting with their allergen chart and ingredients. Be sure to check in store before ordering to ensure safe options for your needs.
More Details from Bruegger’s
Allergen Disclaimer from Bruegger’s: We didn’t note a specific allergen disclaimer, but please be aware that potential allergen cross contamination is possible in restaurant environments. If this is a concern for you, speak with the staff before ordering to see if they can accommodate your needs.
Restaurant Website: www.brueggers.com
Ingredients & Allergen Information: www.brueggers.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/Nutritional-Chart-6.19.17rev.pdf
Last Updated: August 3, 2018