Updated 2021! Bruegger’s is a fast casual bakery-cafe that focuses on bagels. In fact, they produce about 70 million bagels each year. However, they also serve salads, sandwiches, and other baked goods (most of which contain dairy). Bruegger’s has a few hundred restaurants in the U.S. and Canada. The website for both countries is the same, so I believe our list below covers the U.S. and Canadian locations.
For a brief period, Bruegger’s offered Daiya Dairy-free Cream Cheese Style Spread. But unfortunately, due to low sales, it was discontinued. Nevertheless, they still have many dairy-free ways to top your bagel …
No Dairy (Milk-Based) Ingredients (see disclaimer below)
- Bagels (as available) – Apple Cinnamon, Blueberry, Bruegger Bites, Cinnamon Raisin, Cinnamon Sugar, Egg, Everything, Everything Whole Wheat, French Toast (seasonal), Garlic, Honey Grain, Jalapeno, Onion, Plain, Poppy, Pumpernickel, Pumpkin (seasonal), Rosemary Olive Oil, Salt, Sesame, Sesame Whole Wheat, Sourdough, Whole Wheat
- Spreads – Hummus, Avocado, Peanut Butter
- Deli Sandwiches (on DF Bagel or Bread)* – BLT, Garden Veggie, Garden Veggie with Hummus, Tuna Salad, Harvest Chicken Salad
- Salads – Mixed-Greens Base
- Salad Dressings – Balsamic Vinaigrette
- Soups* – Chicken Spaetzle, Vegetable
- Hot Beverages – Oregon Chai Tea (not Bruegger’s variety), Black Coffee, Hot Teas
Components to Help Customize Your Order at Bruegger’s
- Breads & Wraps – Wheat Bread, Ciabatta Roll (see Allergen Notes), All Bagels Listed Above
- Eggs – Egg White Patty, Liquid Egg White, Fresh Cracked Egg
- Meat – Bacon, Ham, Pastrami, Salmon, Sausage, Turkey Sausage, Tuna Salad, Turkey
- Vegetables & Other Toppings – Sliced Almonds, Sesame Seeds, Avocado, Capers, Cucumbers, Green Peppers, Lettuce, Pickles, Pickled Red Onions, Red Onions, Red Peppers, Tomatoes, Dried Cranberries
- Condiments – Chipotle Sauce, Dijon Mustard, Honey Mustard, Honey, Horseradish Mayo, Hummus, Grape Jelly, Strawberry Jelly, Mayo, Peanut Butter, Sriracha Sauce
- Flavored Syrups (for hot beverages) – Almond, Caramel, Chocolate, Hazelnut, Vanilla
Other Allergen Notes
- Naturally their cheesy bagels contain dairy, but avoid the Pretzel Bagel too.
- Bruegger’s has had conflicting information on their Ciabatta Roll for some time now. Their staff has said it is now dairy-free and the ingredients appear dairy-free, but it still states it contains dairy on their updated allergen chart. But we confirmed with Bruegger’s (as of January 2020) that it is dairy-free. Here is what they said: “Great question about the ciabatta roll. We have changed the product on hand several times in recent years and it seems our website team is needing to update the nutritional chart. The current ciabatta we have in bakery only has WHEAT as the lone allergen. There is no dairy.“
- None of the prepared green salads at Bruegger’s are dairy-free. You can special order a couple of them without the cheese, but make sure they hold the croutons, too. They contain quite a bit of dairy.
- Although their chicken and tuna salads are made without dairy, the Egg Salad contains cream cheese.
- The allergen chart or Bruegger’s states that the Whole Egg Patty is made without milk, but the ingredients do include whey. This is why it isn’t on our list.
- The options at Bruegger’s are very limited for gluten-free diners. There are a couple of soups, and possibly a customized salad.
- *Some of the soup and sandwich information on their website is conflicting with their allergen chart and ingredients. Be sure to check in store before ordering to ensure safe options for your needs.
Bruegger’s Vegan Menu Items
All of the bagels listed above are also vegan, except for a handful. The Egg and French Toast contain egg and honey. The Cinnamon Raisin, Everything Whole Wheat, Honey Grain, Sesame Whole Wheat, and Whole Wheat contain honey. All of the spreads listed above for are also vegan-friendly.
More Details from Bruegger’s
Allergen Disclaimer from Bruegger’s: We didn’t note a specific allergen disclaimer, but please be aware that potential allergen cross contamination is possible in restaurant environments. If this is a concern for you, speak with the staff before ordering to see if they can accommodate your needs.
Restaurant Website: www.brueggers.com
Ingredients & Allergen Information: www.brueggers.com/brueggers-bagels-nutrition/
Last Updated: February 13, 2020