Updated 2020! Carl’s Jr. has a heavy concentration of restaurants in the Western and Southwestern U.S. Their fast food menu has several dairy-free options, and many that can be “special ordered” without the cheese and/or with a bun swap.
Select Carl’s Jr locations have a Green Burrito inside. We used to have a separate Green Burrito post, but since that fast-mex chain is always linked with a Carl’s Jr, I’m just adding it here.
No Dairy (Milk-Based) Ingredients (see disclaimer below)
- Breakfast – Steak & Egg Burrito (no cheese), Bacon & Egg Burrito (no cheese), The Breakfast Burger (no cheese), Beyond Sausage Burrito (no cheese), Hashrounds
- Burgers – Big Hamburger, Kids Hamburger, Famous Star (no cheese), Beyond Famous Star (no cheese), Super Star (no cheese), The Big Carl (no cheese), see ThickBurger options in Allergen Notes
- Chicken Sandwiches – Charbroiled BBQ Chicken Sandwich, Charbroiled Chicken Club Sandwich (no cheese), Charbroiled Santa Fe Chicken Sandwich (no cheese)
- Sides – Natural-Cut Fries, CrissCut Fries
- Dressings – Low Fat Balsamic Vinaigrette
- Dipping Sauces – Sweet & Bold BBQ, Honey Mustard
- Green Burrito Entrees – Chicken Street Tacos, Steak Street Tacos (these might be unavailable at this time), Steak Crunchy Tacos (no cheese), Grilled Steak Burrito (no cheese), Grilled Beef Burrito (no cheese), Beans & Rice Burrito (no cheese), Beef Crunchy Tacos (no cheese)
- Green Burrito Sides – Guacamole, Chips
Components to Help Customize Your Order
- Condiments – Special Sauce, Classic Sauce, Santa Fe Sauce, Mayonnaise, Ketchup, Mustard, Guacamole, Salsa, Lettuce, Tomatoes, Grilled Onions, Yellow Onion, Red Onion, Bread & Butter Pickles, Dill Pickle Chips
- Bread & Buns – Sesame Seed Bun, Plain Bun, Honey Wheat Bun, Flour Tortilla, Lettuce Wrap
- Proteins – Beyond Meat Patty, Beyond Sausage, Beef Patty, Angus Beef Patty, Charbroiled Chicken, Breaded Chicken Breast Fillet (see Allergen Notes), Pork Sausage Patty, Bacon, Steak, Ham, Eggs
- Green Burrito Ingredients – Flour Tortillas, White Corn Taco Shell, Fried Tortilla Shell, Chipotle Beans, Lime Cilantro Rice, Grilled Steak, Ground Beef, Beef Taco Filling, Chile Pequin Hot Sauce, Hot Sauce, Fresh Salsa, Avocado Sauce
Other Allergen Notes
- Carl’s Jr. does not note a shared fryer, but it is very possible that some of the fried items above (like the French fries) are made in a shared fryer with dairy-containing menu items (like their onion rings). Be sure to check at your location if concerned.
- The Premium Bun contains dairy, which is why the various ThickBurgers (including the 6 Dollar Burger) aren’t dairy-free (beyond the cheese). You can swap in a sesame seed bun or lettuce wrap and hold the cheese for those burgers. For the lettuce wrap (and gluten-sensitive option), order the “Low Carb” option.
- In their ingredient guide, the Breaded Chicken Breast Fillet is listed as being free from milk ingredients, but it was hard to verify if this is still the case (the guide hasn’t been updated since 2016). Verify in store before ordering. Their Breaded Chicken Tenders do contain milk as a primary ingredient.
- According to their 2016 ingredient guide, Carl’s Jr. croutons contain milk. Their salads appear to be dairy-free when ordered without cheese or croutons, and with a dairy-free dressing.
More Details from Carl’s Jr.
Allergen Disclaimer from Carl’s Jr.: We do not have an allergen free cooking environment in our kitchens. All products are prepared in the same kitchen area.
Restaurant Website: www.carlsjr.com
Allergen Information: www.carlsjr.com/menu
Last Updated: January 4, 2020
Average Reader Review
Rate Your Dairy-Free Experience with this Restaurant
What Others Are Saying ...
I ate the beyond breakfast burrito with no cheese. They made sure it had no cheese and verified with me to make sure it was correct.