Updated 2020! Hardee’s is the Southern and Midwestern United States cousin of Carl’s Junior. They are owned by the same company, and sport a similar look and menu, but have some regional differences.
In recent years, they’ve added Red Burrito to many Hardee’s locations. It is a spin-off from Green Burrito, which is found in many Carl’s Junior locations. We’ve added Red Burrito options to the list below.
No Dairy (Milk-Based) Ingredients (see disclaimer below)
Menu Items (no dairy as is or with no cheese, as noted)
- Breakfast Items – Fresco Breakfast Sandwich (no cheese), Hash Rounds
- Burgers – Frisco Thickburger (no cheese), Lettuce Wrap Low Carb Thickburger (no cheese), Lettuce Wrap Low Carb Charbroiled Chicken Sandwich (no cheese)
- Sides – Natural-Cut Fries, Crispy Curls
- Dipping Sauces – Barbeque, Buffalo, Honey Mustard Dipping Cup
- Red Burrito Mains – Beef Grilled Burrito (no cheese), Chicken Grilled Burrito (no cheese), Beef Hard Taco (no cheese), Beef Soft Taco (no cheese), Chicken Soft Taco (no cheese)
- Red Burrito Sides – Chips & Salsa, Mexican Rice, Refried Beans
Components & Ingredients (to help customize dairy-free menu items)
- Bread – Sourdough Bread, Flour Tortilla
- Proteins – Angus Patty, Applewood Smoked Bacon, Beef Patty, Beef Steak Fritter, Big Chicken Filet, Charbroiled Chicken, Country Ham, Eggs, Pork Sausage Patty, Roast Beef, Sliced Ham, Smoked Sausage
- Toppings – Tomato Slices, Lettuce, Dill Pickle Chips, Red Onions, Diced Yellow Onions
- Condiments – Mushroom Sauce, Barbeque Sauce, Fat Free Italian Salad Dressing, Honey, Horseradish, Hot Sauce, Strawberry Jam, Grape Jelly, Ketchup, Lemon Juice, Mayonnaise, Mustard, Picante Sauce, Tartar Sauce, Texas Pete Hot Sauce, Liquid Margarine
Other Allergen Notes
- Hardee’s uses a “Whirl” on their buns that contains milk. I’m not sure if you can hold the Whirl, or if it is a done deal. It isn’t clear from the information provided. Ask in store.
- Several of the burgers can be made dairy-free with a lettuce wrap, no cheese, and other swaps as needed. The Lettuce Wrap Thickburger option noted above is also gluten-free, but the Charbroiled Chicken does contain wheat.
- Most of the Red Burrito ingredients are dairy free, so you just have to hold the cheese and sour cream.
- Red Burrito states that their white corn taco shell contains wheat, but we didn’t see any ingredients that resembled gluten or wheat. Inquire directly if you would like more information on this.
- Hardee’s used to serve fried chicken meals, and the chicken, green beans, coleslaw, and peach cobbler were made without dairy. But these don’t seem to be served at most locations anymore.
More Details from Hardee’s
Allergen Disclaimer from Hardee’s: Variations may occur due to a variety of factors and circumstances including, but not limited to, differences in suppliers, ingredient substitutions, recipe revisions, product assembly and seasonal variances. Product participation may vary by location and test products are not included. We do not have an allergen free cooking environment in our kitchens. All products are prepared in the same kitchen area.
Restaurant Website: www.hardees.com
Allergen Information: www.hardees.com/ingredients and www.hardees.com/menu/nutritional_calculator_landing
Last Updated: January 5, 2020
Average Reader Review
Rate Your Dairy-Free Experience with this Restaurant
What Others Are Saying ...
They put butter on the frisco burger bread! Ask for no butter.