Updated 2018! McDonald’s menu has shifted in recent years due to normal ingredient changes and some dairy supplier contracts. They now use real butter, have several buttermilk-based products, and use dairy just a little more liberally. Some of their classic items are still dairy-free by ingredients, but the risk of potential cross contamination with dairy is a bit higher. The quick list below is for the United States. For allergen information and menus for Canada, the United Kingdom, Ireland, and Australia, see the links further down the page.
No Dairy (Milk-Based) Ingredients (see disclaimer below)
- Burgers – Hamburger
- Chicken (see Allergen Note below) – McChicken, Chicken McNuggets
- Pork – McRib (available select times)
- Sauces – Bacon Onion Sauce, Sweet Mustard Sauce, Herb Vinaigrette Sauce, Tartar Sauce, Honey Mustard Sauce, Sweet ‘N Sour Sauce, Signature Sauce, Pico de Gallo, Guacamole, Sweet Onion BBQ Sauce, Onion Reduction Sauce, Big Mac Sauce, Cilantro Lime Glaze, Tartar Sauce, Mayonnaise Dressing, Ketchup, Mustard, Herb Vinaigrette Sauce, McRib Sauce
- Individual Sandwich & Salad Items: 100% Beef Patty, McChicken Patty (see Allergen Note below), McRib Pork Patty, Homestyle Roll, Sesame Seed Bun, Artisan Roll, Big Mac Bun, Regular Bun, Thick Cut Applewood Smoked Bacon, Southwest Vegetable Blend, Chili Lime Tortillas Strips, Salad Blend, Grill Seasoning
- Salads – Side Salad
- Salad Dressings – Newman’s Own Low Fat Balsamic Vinaigrette (we were unable to confirm other options)
- Breakfast Items – English Muffin, Sausage Patty, Egg Whites, Scrambled Eggs (not folded eggs), Breakfast Steak Pattie, Bagel, Flour Tortilla
- Desserts – Baked Apple Pie, Apple Slices
Other Allergen Notes: The McChicken and Chicken Nuggets are cooked in a shared fryer with their Buttermilk Crispy Chicken, which contains milk. The Grilled Chicken Fillet does contain milk. McDonald’s French fries (in the U.S.) do contain a very small amount of milk, which is why they are not on the above list. Also, their English Muffins, Bagels, and other breakfast breads are buttered. You can order these without butter. Several of their egg products are made without dairy, but the Folded Eggs do contain milk. Because McDonald’s now uses real butter, you may need to inquire on cross-contamination issues with the grill (and particularly with any buns and bread items), if concerned.
More Details from McDonald’s
Allergen Disclaimer from McDonald’s: As part of our commitment to you, we provide the most current ingredient information available from our food suppliers for the eight most common allergens. However, we also want you to know that despite taking precautions, normal kitchen operations may involve some shared cooking and preparation areas, equipment and utensils, and the possibility exists for your food items to come in contact with other food products, including allergens.
Restaurant Website: www.mcdonalds.com
U.S. Ingredient & Allergen Information: www.mcdonalds.com/us/en-us/about-our-food/nutrition-calculator.html
Canada Ingredient & Allergen Information: www.mcdonalds.com/ca/downloads/ingredients-list-en.pdf and www.mcdonalds.com/ca/en-ca/about-our-food/allergens.html
U.K. Ingredient & Allergen Information: www.mcdonalds.com/content/dam/uk/pdf/nutrition/allergen-booklet-20180627.pdf
Ireland Ingredient & Allergen Information: www.mcdonalds.ie/iehome/food/food_quality/nutrition_choices.html
Australia Ingredient & Allergen Information: mcdonalds.com.au/maccas-food/nutrition
Last Updated: July 31, 2018