Updated 2020! McDonald’s menu has shifted in recent years due to normal ingredient changes and some dairy supplier contracts. They now use real butter, have several buttermilk-based products, and use dairy just a little more liberally. Some of their classic items are still dairy-free by ingredients, but the risk of potential cross contamination with dairy is a bit higher. The quick list below is for the United States. For allergen information and menus for Canada, the United Kingdom, Ireland, and Australia, see the links further down the page.
No Dairy (Milk-Based) Ingredients (see disclaimer below)
- Burgers – Bic Mac (no cheese), Little Mac (no cheese), Hamburger, McDouble (no cheese), Quarter Pounder (no cheese), Quarter Pounder Deluxe (no cheese), Quarter Pounder Double (no cheese), Quarter Pounder Bacon (no cheese)
- Chicken (see Allergen Note below) – McChicken Sandwich, Chicken McNuggets
- Sides – Side Salad, Apple Slices
- Dipping Sauces – Chipotle BBQ, Honey Mustard, Hot Mustard, Sweet Chili, Sweet ‘N Sour, Tangy Barbeque
- Specialty Drinks – Minute Maid Slushies (blue raspberry, fruit punch, sweet peach)
- Dessert – Baked Apple Pie
Components to Help Customize Your Order
- Proteins – Beef Patty, Canadian Bacon, Egg (not the Folded Egg), McChicken Patty, Quarter Pound Beef Patty, Sausage Patty, Thick Cut Applewood Smoked Bacon
- Breads – Artisan Roll, Big Mac Bun, English Muffin, Flour Tortilla, Quarter Pounder Bun, Regular Bun
- Vegetables – Lettuce, Onion, Pickle Slices, Roma Tomato, Salad Blend, Southwest Vegetable Blend
- Condiments – Big Mac Sauce, Bourbon BBQ Sauce, Chili Lime Tortilla Strips, Hotcake Syrup, Ketchup, Mayonnaise, Mustard, Tartar Sauce
- Dressing – Cilantro Lime Glaze, Newman’s Own French Dressing, Newman’s Own Low Fat Balsamic Vinaigrette
- Miscellaneous – Grill Seasoning
Other Allergen Notes
- The McChicken and Chicken Nuggets are cooked in a shared fryer with their Buttermilk Crispy Chicken, which contains milk. The Grilled Chicken Fillet does contain milk.
- McDonald’s French fries (in the U.S.) do contain a very small amount of milk, which is why they are not on the above list. Their Fries are dairy-free in Canada.
- Their English Muffins, Bagels, and other breakfast breads are buttered. You can order these without butter.
- Several of their egg products are made without dairy, but the Folded Eggs do contain milk.
- Because McDonald’s now uses real butter, you may need to inquire on cross-contamination issues with the grill (and particularly with any buns and bread items), if concerned.
More Details from McDonald’s
Allergen Disclaimer from McDonald’s: As part of our commitment to you, we provide the most current ingredient information available from our food suppliers for the eight most common allergens. However, we also want you to know that despite taking precautions, normal kitchen operations may involve some shared cooking and preparation areas, equipment and utensils, and the possibility exists for your food items to come in contact with other food products, including allergens.
Restaurant Website: www.mcdonalds.com
U.S. Ingredient & Allergen Information: www.mcdonalds.com/us/en-us/about-our-food/nutrition-calculator.html
Canada Ingredient & Allergen Information: www.mcdonalds.com/ca/downloads/ingredients-list-en.pdf
U.K. Ingredient & Allergen Information: www.mcdonalds.com/content/dam/uk/nfl/pdf/nutrition/allergen-booklet-2ndjan20.pdf
Ireland Ingredient & Allergen Information: www.mcdonalds.ie/iehome/food/food_quality/nutrition_choices.html
Australia Ingredient & Allergen Information: mcdonalds.com.au/maccas-food/nutrition
Last Updated: January 5, 2020
Average Reader Review
Rate Your Dairy-Free Experience with this Restaurant
What Others Are Saying ...
My grandson is highly allergic to milk. Most orders are correct but sometimes it’s not and you get home with the food and he can’t eat. It’s very important they get it right because we can end up in the ER
A lot of the items are cooked in the same friers, this isn’t made easy for milk/dairy allergens. When you go there you have to look things up in a book this put people right off
Response from Go Dairy Free
I hope you find this post helpful. All of that information is noted above. I agree, McDonald’s doesn’t make it easy. That’s why we’re here to help!
This is the second time I have had an issue at the Carlisle walnut bottom location. Even ordering and double checking when give to me they still buttered the muffin.
Food Items containing milk
I’m glad to see that McDonald’s cares about people with food allergies. Many kids have them, but I recently became allergic to milk and all dairy products, eggs, and shellfish. I am 68, and I think the chemo I took for cancer messed up my immune system. Thank you McDonald’s for posting this. I remember eating at my first McDonald’s 60+ years ago!
Response from Go Dairy Free
You’re welcome! We are not actually affiliated with McDonald’s. The information above was put together by the Go Dairy Free team via research. I hope you find it very helpful!
Prefer Burger King
I have a dairy allergy and if you want to get any fried foods you would have more luck at Burger King because the dryers are cross contaminated at McDonald’s. The chicken nuggets are not safe and you have to make sure they keep the grill clean when ordering a burger.
Response from Go Dairy Free
Yes, as noted throughout the post above, shared fryers and equipment are used. But as a heads up, Burger King uses shared fryers too. Here is the information -> https://www.godairyfree.org/dining-out/fast-food-restaurants/burger-king
I have a dairy allergy and like McDonald’s, so this helped!
Not much for dairy free KIDS!!
I’m very disappointed with the new dairy free options. Since hash browns contain dairy, it was always nice that the kids could have French fries. Disappointed. Will definitely cut down on our visits, which were always fun for the kids because of the play area.