Updated 2021! Papa John’s is one of the largest U.S. pizza chains. They haven’t introduced dairy-free cheese alternative in North America yet, so you’ll need to special order “no cheese” for a dairy-free pizza. But we’ve heard rumor that some Papa John’s locations make efforts to be allergy-friendly. For dairy allergies, they can use a new pizza slicer and be on guard for any cheese when preparing the pizza. However, you do need to ask! Angela R. was kind enough to share this photo of her dairy-free Papa John’s order.
No Dairy (Milk-Based) Ingredients (see disclaimer below)
- Starters – Original Breadsticks
- Wings – BBQ, Buffalo, Honey Mustard, Roasted
- Dipping Sauces – BBQ, Buffalo, Garlic, Honey Mustard, Pizza
Components to Customize Your Order (Cheese-Free Pizza!)
- Crusts – Original Hand Tossed Dough, Pan Dough, Pan Oil
- Sauces – Pizza Sauce, Pan Sauce, BBQ Pizza Sauce
- Toppings – Pepperoni, Italian Sausage, Sausage, Beef, Canadian Bacon, Bacon, Grilled Chicken, Salami, Anchovies, Mushrooms*, Pineapple, Onion*, Green Peppers*, Black Olives, Green Olives, Sliced Jalapenos, Banana Peppers, Tomatoes*, Spinach*
- Seasonings Packets – Crushed Red Pepper, Special Seasoning
*May be stored in a facility that also stores other allergens.
Other Allergen Notes
- They do have a gluten-free crust, but it does contain dairy (and eggs).
- Because cheese is used in abundance, find out if they can accommodate a safe preparation zone to help prevent cross-contamination, if needed.
Vegan Menu Items in the UK
Papa John’s UK is on the forefront of catering to vegan diners. They offer dairy-free Sheese cheese alternatives, and have several vegan pizzas right on the menu. They also serve Vegan Sheese & Marmite Scrolls, Cauli Wings, Vegan Sheese Potato Tots, and Ben & Jerry’s Non-Dairy Ice Cream. But use caution and reference their allergen chart below. Some other items, like the Italian Seasoning, contain dairy at the UK Papa John’s restaurants.
More Details from Papa John’s
Allergen Disclaimer from Papa John’s: The allergen information provided is based on Papa John’s standard product formulations and is for U.S. locations only. Product formulations, recipe changes, ingredient substitutions, and/or suppliers may change.
Restaurant Website: www.papajohns.com
Allergen Information (U.S.): www.papajohns.com/allergens/papa-johns-allergen-guide.html
Allergen Information (U.K.): www.papajohns.co.uk/pdfs/nutritional-information.pdf
*The above information was supplied by the corresponding restaurant via their website, customer service, or other published nutritional information. Ingredients and menu offerings are constantly changing in the food service industry, and can be subject to interpretation. For this reason, Go Dairy Free does not guarantee nor take responsibility for the accuracy of this information. If severe allergies or intolerances are a concern, contact the restaurant directly before purchasing or consuming one of their products. Cross-contamination of potential food allergens should always be considered a possibility in a fast food restaurant.
Last Updated: February 19, 2021
Average Reader Review
Rate Your Dairy-Free Experience with this Restaurant
What Others Are Saying ...
Great to hear that papa Johns has gone dairy free to some extent. Now I can have Papa Johns again!