Updated 2020! Schlotzsky’s is a fast food sandwich shop with hundreds of locations worldwide. However, most of their restaurants are located in the Southern U.S. They used to have an “Allergen Scorecard,” or allergen chart, for quick food allergy help. Unfortunately, they removed it from their website in 2018. We have inquired several times on any changes, but their customer service continues to give us the run around. The only thing we were able to confirm is that all of their breads still contain dairy.
The information below reflects the “allergen scorecard” menu items that was provided by the company. They did provide this in 2020, but it’s dated 2014. They indicated that the menu hasn’t changed much. It still didn’t yield a lot of options for dairy-free diners. But it is possible that some options are missed. We’ve addressed this in the Allergen Notes.
No Dairy (Milk-Based) Ingredients (see disclaimer below)
- Soup – Chicken & Dumpling, Garden Vegetable, Timberline Chile, Saltine Crackers
- Bread – Flour Tortilla
- Salad Dressings – Honey Dijon, Red Wine Vinaigrette, Robusto Italian, Fat Free Raspberry Vinaigrette, Thousand Island, Oil & Vinegar
- Chips – Baked Regular, Barbecue (not the baked variety), Jalapeno, Regular (Plain)
Other Allergen Notes:
- All of the regular breads (wheat-based) at Schlotzsky’s contain dairy.
- For all of their sandwiches, they used to offer Udi’s Gluten Free Buns (for an upcharge), and they might still. We couldn’t get a firm answer. Udi’s Gluten Free Buns do not typically contain dairy. Check the ingredients at the restaurant – you might be able to swap in a Udi’s Bun to make your sandwich order dairy-free, too. The staff does have a gluten-free handling protocol they are supposed to follow to help prevent cross-contact.
- They do not list specific sandwich components (like the meat) on their Allergen Scorecard. We have emailed several times to find out this information, but have never received an answer. You can check in stores to see if a salad or wrap can be customized to be dairy free.
- For the salads, you will also need them to omit the croutons because they contain dairy. In addition to dairy, eggs, soy, and wheat are used in most Schlotzky’s menu items.
More Details from Schlotzsky’s
Allergen Disclaimer from Schlotzsky’s: Some menu items may not be available in all Schlotzsky’s restaurants. Variations may occur at the local restaurant due to preparation at the restaurant, season of the year, use of an alternate supplier, ingredient substitutions, variances in product assembly and/or recipe revisions. Schlotzsky’s, and its franchisees and employees do not assume responsibility for a particular sensitivity or allergy to any food product provided by Schlotzsky’s restaurants. Furthermore, we cannot guarantee the prevention of cross-contact of any ingredient present in our restaurants including but not limited to dairy, wheat, soy, peanuts, tree nuts, seeds, fish and shellfish.
Restaurant Website: www.schlotzskys.com
Allergen Information: Removed from their site.
Last Updated: January 6, 2020