Updated 2020! Subway is a build-your-own sandwich and salad shop with over 45,000 locations in more than 100 countries. And they have many dairy-free options available. The lists below are from the U.S. allergen chart, but we’ve also included links to the allergen charts for Canada, the U.K., and Ireland toward the end of this post.
Their sandwiches automatically come with cheese, but you can opt for no cheese. Below is a list of the dairy-free breads, wraps, and toppings to help customize your order on the fly.
No Dairy (Milk-Based) Ingredients (see disclaimer below)
- Soups – Beef Chili, Black Bean, Spicy Chicken Tortilla
- Desserts – Apple Slices, Gluten Free Brownie
Components to Customize a Sandwich, Wrap, or Salad
- Breads – Italian, 9-Grain Wheat, 9-Grain Honey Oat, Gluten Free, Hearty Italian, Roasted Garlic, Sourdough
- Wraps – Habanero, Spinach, Tomato Basil, Wheat
- Meat, Seafood & Eggs – Bacon Strips, Roasted Chicken Patty, Plain Chicken Strips, Teriyaki Glazed Chicken Strips, Cold Cut Combo Meats, Egg White Patty, Black Forest Ham, Italian BMT Meats, Pepperoni, Roast Beef, Rotisserie-Style Chicken, Spicy Italian Meats, Steak, Tuna, Turkey Breast, BBQ Pulled Pork, BBQ Rib Patty, Chicken Salad, Buffalo Chicken Chicken Strips, Corned Beef, Egg Salad, Falafel, Orchard Chicken Salad, Pastrami, Breakfast Sausage, Seafood Sensation, Vegan Patty (Malibu)
- Condiments & Dressings – Guacamole, Light Mayonnaise, Regular Mayonnaise, Deli Brown Mustard, Yellow Mustard, Oil, Subway Herb Garlic Oil, Subway Vinaigrette, Sweet Onion Sauce, Vinegar, Barbeque Sauce, Buffalo Sauce, Creamy Italian, Creamy Srircha, Fire Roasted Tomato Sauce, Giardiniera, Golden Italian, Fat Free Honey Mustard Sauce, Hot Pepper Relish, Ketchup, Signature Horseradish Sauce, Sweet Chili Sauce
- Fresh Vegetable Toppings – Banana Peppers, Cucumbers, Green Peppers, Jalapenos, Lettuce, Olives, Onions, Pickles, Spinach, Tomatoes, Avocado, Carrots, Green Chiles, House-Made Dill Pickles, Mushrooms, Sweet Peppers
Other Allergen Notes
- Many of the above options are regional, which means they won’t all be available at every location. The lists start with the options available at every Subway, and then continue on with the regional options.
- The gluten-free products are manufactured in a gluten-free facility, but are only available at select locations.
- Cross-contamination is common in these types of fast food environment. But on request, many Subway employees have been trained to change their gloves, use a clean knife, and place a fresh wrapper between your sandwich and the work station to help minimize allergen cross contamination.
- Their allergen chart below covers the top 8 allergens in the U.S. plus sesame, sulfites, and nitrates.
More Details from Subway
Allergen Disclaimer from Subway: Individual food items may come in contact with one another during food preparation and is not reflected on this [allergen]chart.
Restaurant Website: www.subway.com
Allergen Information for the United States: www.subway.com/Nutrition/Files/US_Allergen_chart.pdf
Product Ingredient Information for the United States: www.subway.com/~/media/usa/documents/nutrition/usprodingredients.pdf
Allergen Information for Canada: www.subway.com/~/media/canada/documents/nutrition/allergenchartcan.pdf
Allergen Information for the United Kingdom: subapps1.subway.com/nutrition/allergens/allergens_EN_GB.PDF
Allergen Information for Ireland: www.subway.com/en-IE/MenuNutrition/Nutrition
Last Updated: January 5, 2020
Average Reader Review
Rate Your Dairy-Free Experience with this Restaurant
What Others Are Saying ...
Great article, you can avoid milk at Subway easily!
Thanks for this article, it is very accurate and there’s nothing worse than getting very sick from a small ingredient with milk. If you don’t get your subs toasted, you can always take out the cheese afterwards too because it won’t be melted in. The condiments and dressings part of this post are really good, it’s the sauces that always gets me.