Updated August 2022! Did you know Taco Bell actually vegan certifies some of their ingredients? And most of their menu items can easily be ordered without dairy. That said, in 2020, they scaled their menu and toppings way, way back. Nevertheless, they have enough tacos, burritos, and specialty items to fill you up! Our menu guide includes not only dairy-free, but vegan options, too, along with allergen notes. It is based on the U.S. information – some items might vary in Canada and other countries. However, in most countries, there are similar options available.
No Dairy (Milk-Based) Ingredients (see disclaimer below)
Fresco Style: When you select the “Make it Fresco” option at Taco Bell, they replace all cheese, sour cream, and sauces in your taco or burrito with fresh diced tomatoes. If Fresco isn’t noted, the item already has tomatoes and/or the sauce in it is dairy free.
Vegan Options: We have noted (vegan) next to vegan items (when ordered as noted) at Taco Bell. For items with (vegan option) choose a vegan protein option. The vegan components (i.e. beans, rice, potatoes, tortilla products, house sauces, and cinnamon twists) are certified vegan.
Allergen Notes: Taco Bell does not currently use peanuts, tree nuts, fish, or shellfish in any of their menu items or ingredients. Their proteins seem to be made without top allergens, except several menu items do contain refined soy (soy oil or lecithin). The Chips, Taco Shell, and Tostada Shell at Taco Bell are made without wheat.
- Hash Browns (vegan)
- Breakfast Crunchwrap (no cheese, no sauce or Fresco)
- Toasted Breakfast Burrito (no cheese or Fresco)
- Grande Toasted Breakfast Burrito (no cheese)
- Hashbrown Toasted Breakfast Burrito (no cheese or Fresco)
Dairy-Free Breakfast Protein Options: Bacon, Sausage, Steak, Fiesta Potatoes (vegan)
- Black Bean Chalupa Supreme (no cheese, no sour cream) (vegan)
- Black Bean Chipotle Chalupa (no cheese)
- Black Bean Soft Taco (no cheese or Fresco) (vegan)
- Chalupa Supreme (no cheese, no sour cream) (vegan option)
- Chipotle Chalupa (no cheese)
- Crunchy Taco (no cheese or Fresco) (vegan option)
- Soft Taco (no cheese or Fresco) (vegan option)
- Spicy Potato Soft Taco (no cheese)
Dairy-Free Protein Options: Seasoned Beef, Chicken, Steak, Black Beans (vegan), Refried Beans (vegan), Potatoes (vegan)), Refried Beans (vegan), Potatoes (vegan)
Heads Up! A Soft or Crunchy Taco ordered with the “Make it Fresco” option is the same as a Taco Supreme ordered without cheese or sour cream – but it’s cheaper!
- Bean Burrito (no cheese) (vegan)
- Bean & Rice Burrito (no cheese, no sauce or Fresco) (vegan)
- Beefy Burrito (no cheese, no sour cream or Fresco)
- Burrito Supreme (no cheese, no sour cream)
- Chili Burrito (no cheese or Fresco) (limited availability)
- Chipotle Grilled Chicken Burrito (no cheese, no ranch sauce)
- Crunchwrap Supreme (no cheese, no sour cream)
- Black Bean Crunchwrap Supreme (no cheese, no sour cream) (vegan)
- Fiesta Veggie Burrito (no cheese, no sour cream)
- Veggie Burrito Supreme (no cheese, no sour cream) (vegan)
Dairy-Free Protein Options: Seasoned Beef, Chicken, Steak, Black Beans (vegan), Refried Beans (vegan), Potatoes (vegan), Plant-Based Beef (vegan; limited time, select locations)
- Power Menu Bowl – Chicken or Steak (no cheese, no ranch sauce, no sour cream)
- Power Menu Bowl – Veggie (no cheese, no ranch sauce, no sour cream) (vegan)
Heads Up! Some locations might sub the Chipotle Sauce or another sauce at no extra charge, but with online orders, you do have to remove the sauce and “upgrade” with another sauce.
Sides & Sweets
- Black Beans (vegan)
- Black Beans & Rice (vegan)
- Cinnamon Twists (vegan)
- Nacho Chips (vegan)
- Potato Bites (Cheesy Fiesta Potatoes with no toppings) (vegan)
- Seasoned Fries (from the Nacho Fries but with no cheese sauce) (vegan; seasonal)
Heads Up! If you’re in the U.K., the churros are made without dairy, too!
- Creamy Chipotle Sauce (contains egg) (see Packaged Sauce Note below)
- Diablo Sauce (vegan)
- Fire Sauce (vegan)
- Guacamole (vegan)
- Hot Sauce (vegan)
- Mild Sauce (vegan)
- Red Sauce (vegan)
- Breakfast Salsa (vegan)
- Guacamole (vegan)
Heads Up! The Avocado Ranch Sauce, Creamy Jalapeno Sauce, and Spicy Ranch Sauce at Taco Bell do contain milk. In the U.K., the Lava Sauce also contains milk.
Packaged Sauce Note: There are sauces sold in stores with the Taco Bell name. These sauces are NOT the same formula as the ones used in their restaurants. For example, the Chipotle Sauce you can buy at stores like Walmart contains buttermilk, but the version used in their restaurants does not. The latter is not made with dairy.
Wraps & Shells
- Chalupa Flatbread (vegan)
- Fiesta Tortilla Strips (vegan)
- Flour Tortilla (vegan)
- Gordita Flatbread (vegan)
- Taco Shell (vegan)
- Tostada Shell (vegan)
Heads Up! As you probably guessed, the Doritos Locos Taco Nacho Cheese Shell does indeed contain milk. If you’re in the U.K., they list the Taco Shell as containing several allergens that aren’t in the ingredients due to potential cross-contamination in frying.
- Beach Berry (vegan)
- Blue Raspberry (not the “Island” version) (vegan)
- Ginger Mule (vegan)
- Mango (not the “Whip” version) (vegan)
- Margarita (vegan)
- Mtn Dew Baja Blast (vegan)
- Party Punch (vegan)
Heads Up! The “Island” Freezes and “Whip” Freezes are made with a creamer that contains milk.
This Post is for Informational Purposes Only
Menus, ingredients, kitchen procedures, management, food sourcing, and restaurant protocols are subject to change at any time. Always read the menu and discuss your dietary needs with the staff before ordering. Make sure they can accommodate your situation. This post is for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as advice.
There is always a risk for potential cross-contamination of allergens in any commercial kitchen. If cross-contamination is an issue for you, always speak with the manager to ensure that your meal can be safely prepared. Listings here do not guarantee that a restaurant is safe enough for your individual needs. Only you can make that decision.
Each location of a chain restaurant has different management and staff, and some might have different owners. This means differences in processes, ingredients used, menu options, and food sourcing can occur. Always verify the safety of your order for your needs at your current location.
Where to Find Taco Bell
Taco Bell is a massive Mexican fast food franchise with more than 7000 locations worldwide. It is a U.S. company, but they also have restaurants in Canada, Australia, Europe, Asia, and beyond. See the website below for addresses, hours, and online ordering.
Average Reader Review
Rate Your Dairy-Free Experience with this Restaurant
What Others Are Saying ...
This is super helpful BUT the chipotle sauce is not dairy free. I ordered online and when I picked fresco style it removed the sauce so I looked up the ingredients and it has whey and buttermilk. I was super bummed!
Response from Go Dairy Free
I think you are looking at the ingredients for the Chipotle Sauce sold in stores. It is a different formula. The Chipotle sauce at Taco Bell restaurants is still listed as dairy-free, but it does contain egg, as we have noted. Here are the ingredients -> https://www.tacobell.com/nutrition/ingredients
I believe you saw these ingredients -> https://www.walmart.com/ip/Taco-Bell-Creamy-Chipotle-Sauce-12-fl-oz-Bottle/915153558
It’s very common for packaged versions made for the store to have a completely different formula from the ones actually used in the restaurants.
Thank you for having so many options and clearly listing them!
Super good vegan bowl
Did not realize i could get a vegan bowl. Boy am i glad I did. Soooo good!
Thanks for this breakdown. I had never heard of offering Fresco but what a great option.
A lot of options!
Surprising amount of options that are dairy free.