Updated 2020! Taco Bell is a massive Mexican fast food franchise with more than 7000 locations worldwide. It is a U.S. company, but they also have restaurants in Canada, Australia, Europe, Asia, and beyond. They only have one main allergen database, that we could find. It is possible that menu items and allergens may differ across the countries. Many years ago, Taco Bell introduced “Fresco Style,” which means no cheese, sour cream, or sauce – a great option for dairy-free diners and anyone watching their calories!
Almost any menu item at Taco Bell can be made dairy-free with substitutions. Our list below includes items that are dairy-free as is, dairy-free with one substitution, and the core ingredients to help you build your own!
No Dairy (Milk-Based) Ingredients (see disclaimer below)
- Breakfast – Hashbrown, Potato Bites, Breakfast Soft Tacos (no cheese), Grilled Breakfast Burritos (no cheese)
- Burritos & Tacos – Fresco Bean Burrito, Fresco Chicken Burrito Supreme, Fresco Steak Burrito Supreme, Fresco Beef Crunchy Taco, Fresco Beef Soft Taco, Fresco Shredded Chicken Soft Taco, Fresco Steak Soft Taco, Rolled Chicken Tacos (no cheese sauce)
- Specialty – Mexican Pizza (no cheese), Spicy Tostada (no cheese)
- Sides – Beans & Rice, Chips & Guacamole, Chips & Pico de Gallo, Seasoned Rice, Seasoned Fries (no cheese sauce)
- Sweets – Cinnamon Twists
- Freezes (regional) – Baja Birthday, Mtn Dew Baja Blast, Strawberry Skittles, Mtn Dew, Beach Berry, Berry Sangria, Lemonade, Margarita, Orange Cream Pop, Pepsi, Pina Colada, Red Cherry
Components to Help Customize Your Order
- Wraps & Shells – Chalupa Shell, Double Chalupa, Flour Tortilla, Gordita Flatbread, Mexican Pizza Shell, Red Strips, Taco Salad Shell, Taco Shell, Tostada Shell
- Proteins – Bacon, Black Beans, Eggs, Fire Grilled Chicken, Refried Beans, Sausage Crumbles, Sausage Patty, Seasoned Beef, Shredded Chicken, Marinated Grilled Steak
- Vegetable Toppings – Cilantro, Iceburg Lettuce, Jalapenos, Onions, Romaine Lettuce, Tomatoes
- Sauces – Diablo Border Sauce, Fire Border Sauce, Hot Border Sauce, Mild Border Sauce, Breakfast Salsa, Creamy Chipotle Sauce, Green Chile Sauce (regional), Green Tomatillo Sauce (regional), Pico de Gallo, Mexican Pizza Sauce, Guacamole, Red Sauce
Other Allergen Notes
- Peanuts, tree nuts, fish, and shellfish are not used in Taco Bell’s regular menu items, but they may be produced in common manufacturing facilities with these ingredients.
- Their proteins (meats and beans) seem to be made without top allergens, except that the Seasoned Beef contains soy lecithin and the Refried Beans are made with soybean oil.
- Their Chips, Taco Shell, and Tostada Shell are made without wheat.
Vegan Menu Items
To make menu items vegan, you do need to customize them, but some are quite simple. For example, you can order a Bean Burrito “Fresco Style.” Taco Bell also provides this list of certified vegan sides and menu ingredients.
- Beans & Rice – Black Beans, Refried Beans, Seasoned Rice
- Wraps & Shells – Flour Tortilla, Gordita Flatbread, Red Strips, Taco Shell, Tostada Shell
- Vegetable Toppings – Cilantro, Iceburg Lettuce, Romaine Lettuce, Jalapenos, Onions, Tomatoes
- Sauces – Diablo Sauce, Hot Sauce, Mild Sauce, Green Chile Sauce (regional), Green Tomatillo Sauce (regional), Pico de Gallo, Mexican Pizza Sauce, Guacamole, Red Sauce, Salsa del Sol, Fire Roasted Salsa
More Details from Taco Bell
Allergen Disclaimer from Taco Bell: Like most restaurants, we prepare and serve products containing egg, milk, soy, wheat or other allergens. The Food Allergy & Sensitivity information on this site is based on standard product formulations and is current as of the last update. While a particular ingredient may not contain these allergens, our products may be prepared on the same equipment and in the same kitchen area as those that do. We cannot guarantee that cross contact with allergens will not occur.
Restaurant Website: www.tacobell.com
Allergen Information: www.tacobell.com/food/nutrition/allergen-info
Last Updated: January 5, 2020
Average Reader Review
Rate Your Dairy-Free Experience with this Restaurant
What Others Are Saying ...
A lot of options!
Surprising amount of options that are dairy free.