Updated 2020! Five Guys is your basic burger joint with a simple menu and peanuts in the shell to nosh on while you wait. Their buns contain dairy, but their staff can expertly wrap your burger in a whole salad worth of lettuce. We’ve had many readers suggest this fast food joint (in both the U.S. and Canada) as a great dairy-free option. Viewer Clara of Six Food Intolerance Living sent the following:
Don’t forget to add Five Guys as a restaurant option! They are very good about disclosing ingredients. And they are very accommodating. I order a hamburger with no bun, no cheese (both contain dairy), tell them of my food intolerances and ask that the preparers put on new gloves. They pack everything separately and even their fries are safe! Oh so good!
We’ve listed all of their dairy-free topping and condiment options below to help you order a custom built lettuce wrap with fries.
Photo by Urban D on Yelp.
No Dairy (Milk-Based) Ingredients (see disclaimer below)
- Proteins – Bacon, Hamburger Patty, Hot Dog, Egg
- Sides – Fries, Cajun Fries
- Toppings – Green Peppers, Grilled Mushrooms, Jalapeño Peppers, Lettuce, Grilled Onions, Onions, Pickles, Tomatoes
- Condiments – A.1. Original Steak Sauce, BBQ Sauce, Hot Sauce, Ketchup, Mayonnaise, Mustard, Relish
- Other Items – Bulk Peanuts, Fry Sauce, Malt Vinegar, Lettuce Wrap
Other Allergen Notes
- Five Guys’ Buns contain milk, eggs, wheat, and soy, but you can order their burgers in a lettuce wrap with your dairy-free toppings and condiments of choice.
- The Fries are reportedly made in their own fryer (in peanut oil), but verify before ordering at your location.
- It looks like all of the shake mix-ins are made without milk, but the shake base itself is dairy.
Vegan Menu Items at Five Guys
They don’t yet offer a meat alternative at this chain, but Five Guys fries are vegan-friendly.
More Details from Five Guys
Allergen Disclaimer from Five Guys: Five Guys Enterprises makes every attempt to identify ingredients which may cause allergic reactions for those with food allergies. Every effort is made to instruct our food production staff on the severity of food allergies. However, there is always a risk of contamination. There is a possibility that manufacturers of foods we use could change the formulation at any time, without notice. There is also a risk of cross contamination due to the nature of our ingredients. Customers concerned with food allergies need to be aware of this risk.
Restaurant Website: www.fiveguys.com
Allergen Information: www.fiveguys.com/-/media/Public-Site/Files/Nutrition-Allergen-March-2018-US.ashx
Last Updated: January 11, 2020