Updated 2021! Five Guys is your basic burger joint with a simple menu and peanuts in the shell to nosh on while you wait. Their buns contain dairy, but their staff can expertly wrap your burger in a whole salad worth of lettuce. We’ve had many readers suggest this fast food joint (in both the U.S. and Canada) as a great dairy-free option. Viewer Clara of Six Food Intolerance Living sent the following about Five Guys:
Don’t forget to add Five Guys as a restaurant option! They are very good about disclosing ingredients. And they are very accommodating. I order a hamburger with no bun, no cheese (both contain dairy), tell them of my food intolerances and ask that the preparers put on new gloves. They pack everything separately and even their fries are safe! Oh so good!
We’ve listed all of the dairy-free topping and condiment options for Five Guys below to help you order a custom built lettuce wrap with fries.
No Dairy (Milk-Based) Ingredients (see disclaimer below)
- Proteins – Bacon, Hamburger Patty, Hot Dog, Egg
- Sides – Fries, Cajun Fries
- Toppings – Green Peppers, Grilled Mushrooms, Jalapeño Peppers, Lettuce, Grilled Onions, Onions, Pickles, Tomatoes
- Condiments – A.1. Original Steak Sauce, BBQ Sauce, Hot Sauce, Ketchup, Mayonnaise, Mustard, Relish
- Other Items – Bulk Peanuts, Fry Sauce, Malt Vinegar, Lettuce Wrap
Other Allergen Notes
- Five Guys’ Buns contain milk, eggs, wheat, and soy, but you can order their burgers in a lettuce wrap with your dairy-free toppings and condiments of choice.
- The Fries are reportedly made in their own fryer (in peanut oil), but verify before ordering at your location.
- It looks like all of the shake mix-ins are made without milk, but the shake base itself is dairy.
- The Veggie Sandwich isn’t a veggie burger, but rather veggies on their bun, which contains dairy.
Vegan Menu Items at Five Guys
They don’t yet offer a meat alternative at this chain, but Five Guys fries are vegan-friendly.
More Details from Five Guys
Allergen Disclaimer from Five Guys: Five Guys Enterprises makes every attempt to identify ingredients which may cause allergic reactions for those with food allergies. Every effort is made to instruct our food production staff on the severity of food allergies. However, there is always a risk of contamination. There is a possibility that manufacturers of foods we use could change the formulation at any time, without notice. There is also a risk of cross contamination due to the nature of our ingredients. Customers concerned with food allergies need to be aware of this risk.
Restaurant Website: www.fiveguys.com
Allergen Information: www.fiveguys.com/menu
Last Updated: February 15, 2021
Average Reader Review
Rate Your Dairy-Free Experience with this Restaurant
What Others Are Saying ...
Was good but buns have milk
The buns have milk in them took me hard no 5 guys no more
Response from Go Dairy Free
Yes, they do. Please reference those details in the guide above!
The milk in the bun took me down quickly. I was advised of the milk content but last time in (a few months ago) I was okay with it. Maybe a new vendor?
Response from Go Dairy Free
I can’t say. But to the best of our knowledge, and as noted above, the bun has always contained milk at Five Guys. Perhaps more cross-contamination on the grill.