Last Updates September 2020! We’ve created this ever-growing guide to restaurants, bakeries, cafes, and ice cream shops in Maui that are friendly to dairy-free diners. It’s a collection based on research and reader recommendations (send yours!), that’s divided into local restaurants (first) and chains (second).
Note: You can ignore the date on this post going forward. We’ll update the information below whenever we’re alerted to a new restaurant recommendation, change, or closure.
Local Maui Restaurants Recommended for Dairy-Free Eats
We’ve listed these recommendations alphabetically by city, and then by the restaurant or shop name.
⭐️ = Restaurant is either dairy-free, has a dairy-free menu, has dairy-free labels on their menu(s), or lists top allergens with menu items. (At the time of our last review.)
- Maui Kombucha ⭐️ – It’s a small cafe with a big menu that’s packed with healthy eats and drinks. They have kombucha on tap, blend dairy-free superfood smoothies, offer juices and wellness shots, and serve a vegan menu with raw food options. Their eats include pizzas, nachos, bowls, and some other dishes.
- Zippy’s – This is Hawaii’s major fast food chain. They have an allergen chart, which includes many traditional plate options that are dairy-free. They also have some dairy-free burgers, local stews, sandwiches, and breakfast items.
- Choice Health Bar ⭐️ – This is a fantastic option for fresh, plant-based cuisine. Their dairy-free, all-vegan menu (with the exception of bee pollen and honey) is filled with smoothies, juices, acai bowls, raw desserts, and a healthy selection of savory eats. They have two Lahaina locations, one near Lahaina town and one in Whaler’s Village.
- Maui’s Best Banana Bread + Coffee – When you think of Hawaii, you might not be thinking banana bread, but this cute shop is a must stop. They have a banana bread bar, with vegan options, and coffee drinks you can order with coconut, almond, soy, or oat milk. They also offer smoothies and have a petite breakfast and lunch menu with a couple dairy-free choices.
- Ono Gelato ⭐️ – This quaint ice cream store typically offers a handful of daily non-dairy flavors. They often include creamy chocolate, coconut, and various sorbetto fruit flavors. They also sell other sweets and treats, with a few dairy-free surprises.
- The Plantation House Restaurant – This upscale restaurant provides a picturesque dining experience with sweeping views and elegant island fare. Their menu isn’t dairy heavy, and has several naturally dairy-free dishes. We’ve also been told by readers that they also do an excellent job catering to dairy-free and vegan guests, on request. Gluten-free options are clearly labeled.
- Choice Health Bar ⭐️ – This local plant-based chain has a lovely cafe in the paia town center. Their dairy-free, all-vegan menu (with the exception of bee pollen and honey) is filled with smoothies, juices, acai bowls, raw desserts, and a healthy selection of fresh savory eats.
- Flatbread Company – This gourmet flatbread pizza chain supports local and organic farming, and is special diet friendly. They offer dairy-free cheese, have vegan pizza on the menu, and can make many of their pizzas dairy free. They also offer a gluten-free vegan pizza crust, and we’ve been told that their regular house dough and most of their toppings are dairy-free. They also have build-your-own salad options.
- Mana Foods – Do some special diet shopping and pick up some wonderful premade foods at this local grocery store, deli, and bakery. They carry a wide range of dairy-free, gluten-free, vegan, paleo, and keto brands. But they also have several dairy-free Thai, sushi, and Hawaiian dishes in their deli, and they make fresh sandwiches daily with their house bread. Their bakery makes various loaves, with dairy-free, gluten-free, and vegan choices, along with some vegan scones, cakes, and other treats.
Most Popular Chains in Maui for Dairy-Free Diners
There are many more chains in this state, but these are the ones we recommend most for dairy-free options.
This Guide is Continuously Updated with Recommendations
We welcome you to recommend other dairy-free friendly restaurants. Leave a comment or contact us and tell us why you like a certain restaurant. Restaurant owners and employees are also invited to reach out and let us know how you welcome dairy-free customers.
Please kindly let us know in the comments if any of these restaurants close. We want to keep this list current for you, but aren’t always notified when a restaurant closes. Let us know and we will quickly update!
This Guide is for Informational Purposes Only
Menus, ingredients, kitchen procedures, management, and restaurants are subject to change at any time. Always read the menu and discuss your dietary needs with the staff before ordering. Make sure that they can accommodate your situation.
There is always a risk for potential cross-contamination of allergens in any commercial kitchen. If cross-contamination is an issue for you, always speak with the manager to ensure that your meal can be safely prepared. Listings here do not guarantee that a restaurant is safe enough for your individual needs. Only you can make that decision.