Last Update in September 2021! A couple of years ago, Panera Bread announced the end of its dairy-free milk beverage upcharge. They were the third brand under the JAB Holding Company to give dairy-free coffee drinkers a break. The first two were Stumptown Coffee Roasters and Pret A Manger. The executives at Panera have also vowed to expand their plant-based offerings over time. That’s good news, especially since they already have a pretty big menu of dairy-free options for breakfast and lunch. We’ve outlined them below for your quick reference.
Panera Dairy-Free Menu Guide with Custom Order & Vegan Options
The BIG menu below is for their dairy-free options specifically. If you have vegan needs, jump ahead to our custom made Panera Vegan Menu.
More Allergen Notes: All of the following items are peanut-free by ingredients. All are also tree nut-free by ingredients, except the items with nuts specifically in the title, and the Fuji Apple and Asian Sesame Salads (which can each be ordered without nuts). All of the breads, bagels, smoothies, specialty coffee drinks, and warm bowls listed below are egg-free by ingredients. The Chili and Vegan Soup are too, but their Chicken Noodle contains egg. For egg-free breakfast items and customizing sandwiches and salads without eggs, use the sauce, spread, topping, and dressings listed on the Vegan Menu.
- Artisan Ciabatta
- Black Pepper Focaccia
- Classic Sourdough
- Classic Sourdough Bowl
- Country Rustic Sourdough
- French Baguette
- Tomato Basil Miche
- White Whole Grain
- Whole Grain Lahvash Wrap
- Whole Grain Sourdough
Heads Up! In addition to their cheesy bread, the Classic White Miche and Brioche Roll at Panera do contain dairy. Also, the Flatbread used for their Flatbread Pizzas contains milk.
- Sprouted Grain Bagel Flat
Heads Up! Most of the sweet bagels at Panera do contain milk, including the Cherry Vanilla, Chocolate Chip, Cinnamon Crunch, and Cinnamon Swirl & Raisin.
Baked Goods / Pastries
Heads Up! Panera’s Pumpkin Muffins were dairy-free, but they reformulated their recipe to include a butter blend and natural flavors that contain milk. They no longer have any dairy-fee pastries available, but you can make our Panera Copycat Vegan Wild Blueberry Scones at home – they’re easy!
- Avocado Egg White & Spinach Sandwich on a Bagel Flat (no cheese)
- Bacon & Scrambled Egg Sandwich on Ciabatta (no cheese)
- Scrambled Egg Sandwich on Ciabatta (no cheese)
- Chipotle Chicken Scrambled Egg & Avocado Wrap (no cheese)
- Bacon, Scrambled Egg & Tomato Wrap (no cheese)
- Egg, Over Easy
- Egg, Scrambled
- Egg White
- Fruit Cup
- Hard Boiled Eggs
- Steel Cut Oatmeal with Strawberries & Pecans
Heads Up! The eggs at Panera are cooked in canola oil. But, as always, managers or franchise owners can take liberties at individual locations. If ordering eggs, make sure they are not cooked with dairy butter.
- Napa Almond Chicken Salad
- Roasted Turkey & Avocado BLT
- Tuna Salad
- Turkey (deli and catering versions)
- Toasted Teriyaki Chicken (seasonal)
- Steak Arugula (catering only)
- Bacon Turkey Bravo (no cheese)
- Mediterranean Veggie (no cheese)
- Smokehouse BBQ Chicken Sandwich (no cheese, sub dairy-free bread)
- Toasted Frontega Chicken (no cheese, sub dairy-free sauce)
- Toasted Steak (no cheese)
Sauces & Spreads
- Apple Cider Vinegar BBQ Sauce
- Black Bean and Corn Salsa
- Chipotle Aioli
- Horseradish Sauce
- Lemon Tahini
- Mustard Horseradish
- Salsa Verde
- Signature Sauce
- Spicy Mustard
- Teriyaki Sauce
Heads Up! Though the Chipotle Aioli at Panera is made without dairy, their Chipotle Sauce contains dairy. Both are used on sandwiches.
- Asian Sesame Salad with Chicken
- Tomato Basil Cucumber Salad (side)
- BBQ Chicken Salad (sub dairy-free dressing)
- Caesar Salad (no cheese)
- Caesar Salad with Chicken (no cheese)
- Cobb Salad with Chicken (sub dairy-free dressing)
- Fuji Apple Salad with Chicken (no cheese)
- Greek Salad (no cheese)
- Seasonal Greens with or without Chicken (available for Catering)
- Southwest Chile Lime Salad with Chicken (no cheese, sub dairy-free dressing)
Heads Up! Panera Croutons are made with their Black Pepper Focaccia, and are made without any milk ingredients. Their Frizzled Onions are also made without dairy.
Dairy-Free Salad Dressings: Caesar, Greek, Asian Sesame, White Balsamic Apple.
- Teriyaki Chicken & Broccoli
- Baja Bowl with or without Chicken (no cheese, no Greek yogurt)
- Mediterranean Bowl (no cheese, no Greek yogurt)
- Homestyle Chicken Noodle Soup
- Turkey Chili
- Vegan Ten Vegetable Soup
Heads Up! Aside from the notably cream and cheesy soups, the Vegetarian Autumn Squash Soup and Creamy Tomato Soup do contain milk. Also, the French Onion Soup contains butter in the soup itself, in addition to the cheese on top.
- Green Passion
- Peach & Blueberry with Almond Milk
Specialty Coffee Drinks
- Madagascar Vanilla Almond Cold Brew
- Iced Chai Tea Latte (sub almond milk)
- Chai Tea Latte (sub almond milk)
- Iced Caffe Latte (sub almond milk)
- Caffe Latte (sub almond milk)
- Cinnamon Crunch Latte (no whipped cream, sub almond milk)
Heads Up! The Madagascar Vanilla Syrup for their coffee drinks is dairy-free, but the Caramel and Chocolate syrups are not. The seasonal Cinnamon Bark Syrup and Cinnamon Sugar Topping appear to be made without any milk ingredients.
Vegan Menu for Panera Bread
- Breads – Artisan Ciabatta, Black Pepper Focaccia, Classic Sourdough, Classic Sourdough Bowl, Country Rustic Sourdough, French Baguette
- Bagels – Blueberry, Everything, Plain, Sesame
- Breakfast – Fruit Cup, Steel Cut Oatmeal with Strawberries & Pecans
- Sandwiches – Mediterranean Veggie (no cheese)
- Warm Bowls – Baja (no cheese, no Greek yogurt), Mediterranean (no cheese, no Greek yogurt), Teriyaki (no chicken)
- Sauces & Spreads – Apple Cider Vinegar BBQ, Black Bean and Corn Salsa, Hummus, Lemon Tahini, Salsa Verde, Spicy Mustard, Teriyaki Sauce
- Salad – Asian Sesame (no chicken, no wontons), Greek (no cheese), Fuji Apple (no chicken, no cheese), Seasonal Greens (catering)
- Salad Dressings – Asian Sesame, Greek, White Balsamic Apple
- Other Toppings – Corn Tortilla Strips, Croutons, Frizzled Onions, Pickled Red Onions
- Soup – Vegan Ten Vegetable Soup
- Smoothies – Green Passion, Peach & Blueberry with Almond Milk
- Specialty Coffee Drinks – Madagascar Vanilla Almond Cold Brew, Iced Caffe Latte (sub almond milk), Caffe Latte (sub almond milk), Cinnamon Crunch Latte (no whipped cream, sub almond milk)
Heads Up! The Chai Tea Concentrate, Sprouted Grain Bagels, Whole Grain Breads, and Tomato Basil Miche at Panera are egg-free, but contain honey.
This Post is for Informational Purposes Only
Menus, ingredients, kitchen procedures, management, food sourcing, and restaurant protocols are subject to change at any time. Always read the menu and discuss your dietary needs with the staff before ordering. Make sure they can accommodate your situation. This post is for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as advice.
There is always a risk for potential cross-contamination of allergens in any commercial kitchen. If cross-contamination is an issue for you, always speak with the manager to ensure that your meal can be safely prepared. Listings here do not guarantee that a restaurant is safe enough for your individual needs. Only you can make that decision.
Each location of a chain restaurant has different management and staff, and some might have different owners. This means differences in processes, ingredients used, menu options, and food sourcing can occur. Always verify the safety of your order for your needs at your current location.
Where to Find Panera Bread Company
Panera Bread Company has over 2000 locations, and they are all located in the United States and Canada. See their website below for addresses, hours, and online ordering.
Average Reader Review
Rate Your Dairy-Free Experience with this Restaurant
What Others Are Saying ...
Found a vegan meal.
Came to Panera Bread yesterday for lunch the first time. As a vegan, I wasn’t sure what I would find to eat. After a few questions to the order taker, I had the ten vegetable soup. It came with a big piece of bread, and was very good. I’m here to double check, and I’m still pleased with the meal I had there.
I called ahead to ask dairy free options. The sandwich I ordered not only had cheese on it, but also the bread I was told was dairy free is not. My daughter is lactose intolerant and it was her sandwich. I am most angry that I purposely called and was given dangerous misinformation. Panera’s staff needs to be better versed with information like this.
I have worked at Panera Bread for 3+ years now and a couple months ago when I went dairy free I found our nutritional information binder at the cafe and wrote a list of everything that is dairy free and it matches up with yours well! As to the dressings, it is hard to regulate what allergens they are exposed to. Ideally, to-go dressing cups wouldn’t normally be contaminated with other allergens, but this isn’t always the case. If you are really sensitive to dairy (or anything allergy-wise), I’d advise someone to tell the cashier/online order that there is an allergy, because the people in the kitchen are much more cautious with what they touch/what things are put on the food when they are informed of an allergy.
On another note, I am seriously impressed by the variety of menu items you listed, as our menu varies every couple months, it’s nice to see a lot of variety in what we have!
I can’t find the list of safe salad dressings? You used to have one I thought.
Response from Go Dairy Free
The dressings for the salads listed above are dairy-free. We can’t say what is “safe” for any one person. Unfortunately, they no longer list their salad dressings separately, so we will have to research that.
I was impressed by your thorough article and hoping to use it as a guiding point. However I did double check Panera’s menu and their sandwiches that include scrambled and over easy eggs do in fact have dairy products in them. This is common for most restaurants using liquid eggs but please be more careful in the future with what information you claim.
Response from Go Dairy Free
I’m so sorry if you are confused, but our information is correct and we are VERY careful! And indeed, their eggs are made without dairy! I think you looked just quickly at the allergen chart rather than looking at the ingredients and reading our listing carefully. Our lists are not just based on allergen charts. Whenever possible, we comb through ingredients and get more information from the company to give you a complete picture. Please note that for the breakfast items we state “no cheese” – you must order them without cheese. Their eggs are all dairy-free. Here are the egg ingredients: Scrambled Egg (Liquid Whole Eggs (Whole Eggs, Citric Acid [To Preserve Color]) and Over Easy Egg (Pasteurized Eggs, Soybean Oil And/Or Canola Oil). See no dairy! That said, it’s possible that some franchise owners could use butter on the grill. Always check at the location before ordering, and double check the ingredients before ordering. Also, we do not make “claims.” We are merely sharing information with you that comes direct from the company being covered. Remember, this is just a guide to offer you options and should not replace your own due diligence. But it is a correct and frequently updated guide (see the last updated date stamp)!