Pei Wei is the fast casual chain owned by P.F. Chang’s. They have an open kitchen concept where you can watch the flames dance as they prepare your meal. I’ve always loved this chain for their atmosphere and flavors. And they can be a good option for dairy-free diners. But Pei Wei went through a strange phase. I think they had someone managing their allergen chart who was a little confused, because most of their dishes were marked as containing dairy for a year or so – including the basics. Fortunately, it’s now fixed, and we have some quick details below to give you a jumpstart on planning your order.
Tips to Dining Dairy-Free at Pei Wei
As mentioned, most of the menu items at Pei Wei are dairy-free. So I’ll start with a quick list to avoid as of their most recent 2020 update.
Menu Items at Pei Wei that Contain Dairy
If you’re dairy-free, you’ll want to skip the following:
- Shareables: Crab Wontons, Thai Wonton Soup
- Noodle Entrees: Lo Mein (all varieties; Chicken, Shrimp, and Tofu)
- Other Entrees: Spicy General Tso’s Chicken, Spicy Korean BBQ Steak, Pei Wei Original Shrimp
- Desserts: All
Dairy-Free Menu Items at Pei Wei
- Shareables: Dumplings (steamed and fried), Lettuce Wraps, Edamame, Egg Rolls, Spring Rolls, All Dipping Sauces (Our Pick: Lettuce Wraps)
- Salad Bowls: All, including the dressings, which are vinaigrettes
- Rice & Noodle Entrees: All but the Lo Mein (Our Pick: Dan Dan Noodles)
- Other Entrees: All except for the ones mentioned above as containing dairy. (Our Picks: Orange Chicken, Thai Dynamite Tofu (for vegan))
- Grains & Wraps: All, including the cauliflower, white, brown, and fried rice options, mixed greens, lettuce wraps, and noodles.
Vegan Menu Items at Pei Wei
We can’t speak to the specifics in terms of ingredient sources, but the following items are made without dairy, eggs, fish, shellfish, or meat. According to Pei Wei, they typically stir fry vegetables and tofu for vegan requests.
- Shareables: Edamame, All Dipping Sauces
- Salad Bowls: All dressings, which are vinaigrettes
- Entrees: Teriyaki Tofu (contains honey), Thai Dynamite Tofu
- Grains & Wraps: Cauliflower Rice, White Rice, Brown Rice, Mixed Greens, Lettuce Wraps, Noodles.
Other Allergens and Allergen Menus at Pei Wei
Their allergen menu can be found with their Nutrition Info on their website. It addresses the top 8 allergens: dairy, eggs, fish, shellfish, wheat, peanuts, tree nuts, and soy. Wheat, soy, and eggs are prevelant in many of their dishes, but they do offer a gluten-free menu on request.
This Post is for Informational Purposes Only
Menus, ingredients, kitchen procedures, management, and restaurants are subject to change at any time. Always read the menu and discuss your dietary needs with the staff before ordering. Make sure that they can accommodate your situation.
There is always a risk for potential cross-contamination of allergens in any commercial kitchen. If cross-contamination is an issue for you, always speak with the manager to ensure that your meal can be safely prepared. Listings here do not guarantee that a restaurant is safe enough for your individual needs. Only you can make that decision.
Where to Find Pei Wei
They have over 200 locations in the U.S. and just a smattering of locations in other countries, including Kuwait, U.A.E., and South Korea.