Updated in 2021! Years ago, a reader named Matt emailed to let us know he’d had a great dairy-free experience with Smokey Bones, a bar and grill chain in the Eastern U.S. As you might have guessed, they offer many grilled and BBQ items without dairy. But they also have a great selection of milk-free tacos and build your own burgers.
Dairy-Free Menu Guide to Smokey Bones Bar & Fire Grill
Please note that Smokey Bones does have some errors on their allergen chart (ie labeling the same items with and without milk in different places). And their allergen information is detailed, but chaotic. We’ve weeded through it to create this succinct little dairy-free menu. But as always, double check with the staff!
- Pretzel Bones (no Queso Sauce)
- Burnt Ends
- Smoked Wings (see Flavors below)
- Breaded Chicken Wings (see Flavors below)
- Naked Wings (special order only; see Flavors below)
Flavors: The Brown Sugar Glaze, Memphis Dry Rub, and Sweet Glaze at Smokey Bones are made without dairy. All other seasonings, sauces, and dressings (for dipping) contain milk.
- Carnitas Tacos
- Crispy Chicken Tacos
- Mahi Tacos
- Pork Belly Tacos
- BBQ Street Tacos (no cheese)
- Beef Brisket Tacos (no cheese)
- Steak Tacos (no cheese)
Build Your Own Burger
- Buns: Plain or Toasted Bun, Ciabatta Bun, Lettuce Wrap
- Protein: Butcher’s Blend Burger, Grilled Chicken Breast, Turkey Burger Patty (when available)
- Toppings: Sauteed Onions, Fried Egg, Grilled Jalapeno, House-Smoked Pulled Pork, Peppered Bacon, Roasted Mushrooms
- Sauces: Garlic Herb Mayo, Chipotle Mayo, Bones Sweet & Tangy, Chipotle Ketchup
Heads Up! Smokey Bones lists Dr. Praeger’s Veggie Patty as containing milk. Dr. Praeger’s has told us they don’t make any veggie burgers that contain dairy, so check at the restaurant to see if this is an option. Also the Fried Onion Tanglers, Horseradish, and Spicy Garlic Buffalo Sauce do contain dairy.
- Pulled Pork Sammy
Other Options: Some other sandwiches might be dairy-free with special order, such as on a dairy-free bun (not brioche) or with the appropriate sauces.
BBQ & Grilled Meats
- BBQ Chicken (not the Bourbon BBQ Chicken)
- Fire-Grilled Salmon
- House-Smoked Hand Pulled Pork
- House-Smoked Pulled Chicken
- Jumbo Smoked Wings
- Sliced Smoked Turkey Breast
- Smoked Baby Back Ribs
- Smoked Sausage
- Smoked St Louis Ribs
- Texas Style Beef Brisket
- Sirloin Steak (plain, see Steak Preparation below)
- Tender Medallions (plain, see Steak Preparation below)
- Fire-Grilled Ribeye (plain, see Steak Preparation below)
Heads Up! The Grilled Bourbon BBQ Chicken, Smokehouse Chicken, Fried Chicken Fingers, and Garlic Bread (often served with the meats) contain dairy. The Mahi Mahi entree is listed as containing milk, but can be special ordered dairy-free.
Steak Preparation: They do use butter on their steaks at Smokey Bones, so make sure to order it without. Also, the Red Wine Sauce contains dairy, but the Teriyaki Glaze is listed as dairy-free.
- Homemade Brunswick Stew
Sans Dressing: According to Smokey Bones, all of their Salad Dressings contain milk, including the vinaigrettes.
- Baked Potato (plain)
- BBQ Baked Beans
- Cinnamon Apples
- Creamy Cole Slaw
- Natural Cut Fries
- Sweet Potato Fries
Heads Up! The Steamed Broccoli and Fire Roasted Corn surprisingly contain milk.
This Post is for Informational Purposes Only
Menus, ingredients, kitchen procedures, management, and restaurants are subject to change at any time. Always read the menu and discuss your dietary needs with the staff before ordering. Make sure that they can accommodate your situation. This post is for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as advice.
There is always a risk for potential cross-contamination of allergens in any commercial kitchen. If cross-contamination is an issue for you, always speak with the manager to ensure that your meal can be safely prepared. Listings here do not guarantee that a restaurant is safe enough for your individual needs. Only you can make that decision.
Where to Find Smokey Bones
Smokey Bones has struggled over the years, and 2020 didn’t do them any more favors. But they are still firing up the grill at over 60 locations throughout 16 Eastern states. See the website below for addresses, hours, and online ordering.