Updated 2020! You’ll have to skip the shake half of this rapidly growing fast food restaurant. But the savory menu at Steak ‘n Shake holds quite a few dairy-free surprises, especially if you custom order.
Steak ‘n Shake is a fast-food and diner-style hybrid restaurant that’s open 24 hours a day, seven days per week. They started in the midwest, and now have over 600 locations in the U.S. (primiarly in the mid-west, south, west, and mid-atlantic regions), Europe, and Middle East.
Photo by @tastingsanantonio via Steak ‘n Shake Facebook
No Dairy (Milk-Based) Ingredients at Steak n’ Shake (see disclaimer below)
- Burgers (ordered with NO CHEESE and verify NO BUTTER on bun) – Bacon Lovers Double Steakburger, Garlic Double Steakburger, Grilled Portobello Steakburger, Jalapeno Crunch Double Steakburger, Prime Steakburger, Royale Steakburger, Western BBQ ‘n Bacon Steakburger
- Chicken – Grilled Chicken Sandwich
- Hot Dogs – Steak Franks, Chili Franks (no cheese)
- Breakfast – Classic Egg Breakfast (custom), Crispy Hash Brown Patty, Shredded Hash Browns, Homestyle Breakfast (custom), Kids’ Egg, Bacon or Sausage ‘n Toast (custom)
- Sides – Thin ‘n Crispy Fries, Cajun Fries, Chili Fries (no cheese), Baked Beans, Genuine Chili, Chili 3-Way, Chili Mac, Oyster Crackers, Saltine Crackers, Creamy Coleslaw, Applesauce
Components to Help Customize Your Order
- Proteins – Steakburger Beef Patty, Beef Steak Franks, Sugar Creek Applewood Smoked Bacon, Spicy Chicken Fillet, Grilled Chicken Fillet, Chili Beef, Sausage Patty
- Bread & Buns – Rye Bread, Sourdough Bread, Brioche Bun, Knotted Bun (unbuttered), Steak Franks Buns
- Toppings – Crispy Onions, Sliced Dill Pickles, Portobello Mushrooms, Leaf Lettuce, Iceberg Lettuce, Sliced Tomatoes, Sliced Onions, Diced Onions
- Sauces – Creamy Peppercorn Sauce, Salsa, Garlic Mayonnaise, Garlic Salt, Garlic Spread, Ketchup, Reduced Calorie Mayonnaise, Mustard, Mustard Pickle Relish, Ken’s Barbecue Sauce, Frisco Sauce, Chipotle Sauce, Truffle Aioli Sauce, Tartar Sauce, Pico de Gallo, Chili Mac Sauce, Strawberry Jam, Grape Jam
- Dressings – Light Italian, Thousand Island
- Seasonings & Cooking Aids – Cajun, Fry ‘n Steakburger, Savory, Liquid Margarine (for Grilling), Frying Oil, Cooking Spray
- Additional Breakfast Items – Bagel, Farm Fresh Eggs (not cholesterol-free or scrambled), Caramelized Onions,
Other Allergen Notes
- The Chicken Fingers, Chicken Bites, Wheat Bread, and Steakburger Bun all contain milk.
- The Spicy Chicken Sandwich appears to be dairy-free, but they’ve listed it as contains milk. We’re inquiring, but you can also ask in store.
- You can substitute the Knotted Bun or Brioche Bun for the “Regular Bun” and order no cheese for most of the Steakburgers.
- Their croutons contain milk, so the Garden Fresh Salad has to be stripped down to be dairy free.
- Their Flour Tortilla states that it contains milk, but this looks like it might be an error.
- The Liquid Margarine (for Grilling), Frying Oil, Cooking Spray all contain soy.
More Details from Steak n’ Shake
Allergen Disclaimer from Steak n’ Shake: Our restaurants prepare and serve products that contain Peanuts, Tree Nuts, Wheat, Soy, Milk, Egg, and Fish. To ensure our guest’s safety we cannot guarantee any of our products are free of these allergens.
Restaurant Website: www.steaknshake.com
Allergen Information: www.steaknshake.com/allergens
*The above information was supplied by the corresponding restaurant via their website, customer service, or other published nutritional information. Ingredients and menu offerings are constantly changing in the food service industry, and can be subject to interpretation. For this reason, Go Dairy Free does not guarantee nor take responsibility for the accuracy of this information. If severe allergies or intolerances are a concern, contact the restaurant directly before purchasing or consuming one of their products. Cross-contamination of potential food allergens should always be considered a possibility in a fast food restaurant.
Last Updated: January 12, 2020