Updated 2021! You’ll have to skip the shake half of this diner-style, fast-food restaurant hybrid. But the savory menu at Steak ‘n Shake holds quite a few dairy-free surprises, especially if you custom order.
Steak ‘n Shake had a rough 2020, transitioning from a table-service to self-service model, while fighting to stay open 24 hours a day, seven days per week. They kicked off the year with 620 locations, but ended up permanently closing more than 82 of them. This year has continued to be rocky, when an investment group tried to launch a takeover. But Steak ‘n Shake has remained steadfast. They still have hundreds of restaurants open in the U.S. (primarily in the Midwest, South, West, and Mid-Atlantic regions), Europe, and Middle East.
Photo by @tastingsanantonio via Steak ‘n Shake Facebook
No Dairy (Milk-Based) Ingredients at Steak n’ Shake (see disclaimer below)
- Burgers (ordered with NO CHEESE and verify NO BUTTER on bun) – Bacon Lovers Double Steakburger, Garlic Double Steakburger, Grilled Portobello Steakburger, Jalapeno Crunch Double Steakburger, Prime Steakburger, Royale Steakburger, Western BBQ ‘n Bacon Steakburger, Pork Belly Steakburger
- Chicken – Grilled Chicken Sandwich, Spicy Chicken Sandwich (see Allergen Notes)
- Hot Dogs – Steak Frank, Chili Frank (no cheese)
- Breakfast – Classic Egg Breakfast (custom), Homestyle Breakfast (custom), Kids’ Egg, Bacon or Sausage ‘n Toast (custom), Crispy Hash Brown Patty, Shredded Hash Browns, Bagel, Farm Fresh Eggs (NOT cholesterol-free and NOT scrambled),
- Sides – Thin ‘n Crispy Fries, Cajun Fries, Chili Fries (no cheese), Baked Beans, Genuine Chili, Chili 3-Way, Chili Mac, Oyster Crackers, Saltine Crackers, Creamy Coleslaw, Applesauce
Components to Help Customize Your Order
- Proteins – Steakburger Beef Patty, Beef Steak Franks, Spicy Chicken Fillet, Grilled Chicken Fillet, Grilled Pork Belly Slices, Chili Beef, Sugar Creek Applewood Smoked Bacon, Sausage Patty
- Bread & Buns (order with NO BUTTER) – Rye Bread, Sourdough Bread, Brioche Bun, Knotted Bun, Steak Franks Bun
- Toppings – Caramelized Onions, Crispy Onions, Dill Pickles, Portobello Mushrooms, Leaf Lettuce, Iceberg Lettuce, Sliced Tomatoes, Sliced Onions, Diced Onions
- Sauces – Creamy Peppercorn Sauce, Salsa, Garlic Mayonnaise, Garlic Salt, Garlic Spread, Ketchup, Reduced Calorie Mayonnaise, Mustard, Mustard Pickle Relish, Ken’s Barbecue Sauce, Frisco Sauce, Chipotle Sauce, Truffle Aioli Sauce, Ken’s Tartar Sauce, Ken’s Maple Bourbon Sauce, Frank’s Redhot Sauce, Pico de Gallo, Chili Mac Sauce, Strawberry Jam, Grape Jam
- Dressings – Light Italian, Thousand Island, Coleslaw
- Seasonings & Cooking Aids – Cajun Seasoning, Fry ‘n Steakburger Seasoning, Savory Seasoning, Liquid Margarine (for Grilling), Frying Oil, Cooking Spray
Other Allergen Notes for Steak n’ Shake
- The Chicken Fingers, Chicken Bites, Wheat Bread, Flour Tortilla, and Steakburger Bun all contain milk.
- The Spicy Chicken Filet is listed as milk-free, and all of the components of the Crispy Chicken Sandwich are listed as dairy-free. But they state “contains milk” on the sandwich as a whole. We’ve been told it’s just incorrectly labeled due to potential cross-contamination in a shared fryer, but are confirming again.
- You can substitute the Knotted Bun or Brioche Bun for the “Regular Bun” and order no cheese for most of the Steakburgers.
- Their croutons contain milk, so the Garden Fresh Salad has to be stripped down to be dairy free.
- The Liquid Margarine (for Grilling), Frying Oil, and Cooking Spray all contain soy.
More Details from Steak n’ Shake
Allergen Disclaimer from Steak n’ Shake: Our restaurants prepare and serve products that contain Peanuts, Tree Nuts, Wheat, Soy, Milk, Egg, and Fish. To ensure our guest’s safety we cannot guarantee any of our products are free of these allergens.
Restaurant Website: www.steaknshake.com
Allergen Information: www.steaknshake.com/allergens
*The above information was supplied by the corresponding restaurant via their website, customer service, or other published nutritional information. Ingredients and menu offerings are constantly changing in the food service industry, and can be subject to interpretation. For this reason, Go Dairy Free does not guarantee nor take responsibility for the accuracy of this information. If severe allergies or intolerances are a concern, contact the restaurant directly before purchasing or consuming one of their products. Cross-contamination of potential food allergens should always be considered a possibility in a fast food restaurant.
Last Updated: February 20, 2021