Updated in 2020! Over the years, we’ve received many Red Robin raves from our dairy-free readers. They were one of the first restaurant chains to implement a full allergen menu and allergen protocols, followed by an interactive allergen menu. When we’ve visited, a manager even took our order, to ensure proper processes were followed. And for dairy-free diners, there really are quite a few options. We first posted this dairy-free menu guide over a decade ago, but now, we have even more details and choices to share …
Dairy-Free Menu Guide for Red Robin (with Vegan Options)
Most of their patties, buns, and sauces are dairy-free, which offers near endless possibilities. As noted below, their steak fries are dairy-free, and even cooked in a dedicated fryer. But Red Robin still thinks the cross contamination risk is too high for them to make the cut on their allergen menu. Read on for the full dairy-free details, as well as vegan labels, where applicable.
- Bacon Cheeseburger (no cheese)
- Banzai Burger (no cheese)
- Guacamole Bacon Burger (no cheese)
- Impossible Gourmet Cheeseburger (no cheese)
- Keep It Simple Beef Burger
- Keep It Simple Veggie Burger
- Monster Cheeseburger (no cheese)
- Red Robin Gourmet Cheeseburger (no cheese)
- The Wedgie Burger
- Veggie Burger (no cheese)
- Veggie Vegan Burger (vegan)
- Master Cheeseburger (no cheese)
- Smoke & Pepper (no cheese)
- The Madlove Burger (no cheese)
- The Southern Charm Burger (no cheese)
- Pig Out Tavern Burger (no cheese)
- Red’s Tavern Burger (no cheese)
- Tuscan Salmon Sandwich
Dairy-Free Bun Options: The Brioche Bun, Ciabatta Bun, Classic Sesame Bun, Tavern Bun, Gluten Free Bun, and Lettuce Wrap (Wedgie Style) are all dairy-free. They are also vegan, except for the Gluten Free Bun, which contains egg.
Dairy-Free Sauces: Bistro Sauce, Campfire Mayo, Chipotle Aioli, Cocktail Sauce (vegan), Guacamole (vegan), House Made Salsa (vegan), Island Heat Sauce (vegan), Marinara Sauce, Premium Mayonnaise, Red’s Secret Tavern Sauce, Roasted Garlic Aioli, Smoke n Pepper Ketchup, Sweet & Spicy Ketchup, Sweet & Thick Teriyaki Sauce, Tartar Sauce, Whiskey River BBQ Sauce (plus the usual plain spreads, like ketchup, mayonnaise, and mustard)
- What about the Turkey and Chicken? The Simply Grilled Chicken Sandwich and Grilled Turkey Burger have historically been dairy-free, but they forgot to put these in their “updated” interactive allergen menu at all. We’re inquiring to confirm. But check in store if interested in these items.
- Note: The jalapeno coins, fried jalapenos, sautéed mushrooms, portobello mushrooms, and onion straws contain dairy. The dill pickle slices are dairy-free, but are listed as not vegan.
- Sear-ious Salmon with Broccoli
More Fun on a Bun
- California Chicken Burger (no cheese)
- Grilled Turkey Burger
- Simply Grilled Chicken Burger
- Teriyaki Chicken Burger (no cheese)
- Avo-Cobb-O Salad (no cheese, no croutons)
- Bottomless House Salad (no cheese, no croutons)
- Simply Grilled Chicken Salad (no cheese, no croutons)
Dairy-Free Salad Dressings: Balsamic, Honey Mustard Poppyseed, Italian, Thousand Island
- Chicken Tortilla Soup (no cheese or sour cream on top)
- Red’s Chili Chili (no cheese on top)
- Side Salad (no cheese, no croutons; vegan)
- Steak Fries (see note below; vegan)*
- Steamed Broccolli (vegan)
Steak Fries Note: Their steak fries do not include wheat, eggs, soy, fish, shellfish, nor milk, and Red Robin does have a dedicated fryer for cooking their steak fries. But the company still says, “it is not recommended to consume the steak fries if you are trying to avoid these allergens due to possible cross contact in our fryer station.”
- Grilled Chicken Dip’ns
- Red’s Cheeseburger made with Beef, Chicken Turkey or Veggie Patty (no cheese)
- Apple Slices (vegan)
- Fresh Carrots (vegan)
- Kid’s Side Salad (vegan)
- Kid’s Steamed Broccoli (vegan)
- Mandarin Oranges in Juice
More Allergen Notes
According to Red Robin, their staff is trained in allergen protocols, and the following is how they handle food allergy order requests.
Your server will alert the kitchen staff of the allergen order. Then our kitchen staff will use the designated purple allergen kit and tools to create your meal. It will then be identified with a purple pick so the server is aware that this is the allergen meal and it was prepared using the Red Robin allergen procedures. The entire kit and all the tools are washed, rinsed and sanitized prior to the next use.
This Post is for Informational Purposes Only
Menus, ingredients, kitchen procedures, management, and restaurants are subject to change at any time. Always read the menu and discuss your dietary needs with the staff before ordering. Make sure that they can accommodate your situation. This post is for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as advice.
There is always a risk for potential cross-contamination of allergens in any commercial kitchen. If cross-contamination is an issue for you, always speak with the manager to ensure that your meal can be safely prepared. Listings here do not guarantee that a restaurant is safe enough for your individual needs. Only you can make that decision.
Where to Find Red Robin
They have over 500 locations in the U.S. See their website below for addresses, hours, an interactive allergen menu, and contact information.