Updated September 2022! We didn’t bother covering Kellogg’s Pop-Tarts® for years, because the dairy-free options were pretty obvious. All frosted varieties contained milk, while most unfrosted ones didn’t. But over time, their formula has evolved to include many more dairy-free Pop-Tarts flavors, including some of their newest treats! So we’ve created this quick reference guide, followed by information on other toaster pastry brands.
Dairy-Free Kellogg’s Pop-Tarts Guide
The following flavors of Kellogg’s Pop-Tarts are dairy-free, egg-free, and nut-free by ingredients, according to the company. But always check the packaging! Ingredients are subject to change at any time. We’ll do our best to keep this post updated with product changes and new flavors. If you have trouble finding any of these flavors in stores, check the Pop-Tart Amazon Store.
Allergen Notes: All Kellogg’s Pop-Tarts contain wheat and soy. The following varieties are made without any milk ingredients, according to the company. Some varieties are certified kosher dairy due to production, but not due to the ingredients. See our Understanding Kosher Symbols guide for an explanation. Always contact the company to discuss their processes and ingredient sourcing if potential cross-contamination is a concern for you. There is some degree of risk for allergen cross-contamination in all food products, regardless of what the label does or doesn’t say.
- Frosted Apple Fritter
- Frosted Blueberry
- Frosted Boston Crème Donut (new recipe; see Heads Up below)
- Frosted Brown Sugar Cinnamon
- Frosted Cherry
- Frosted Chocolatey Churro
- Frosted Confetti Cupcake (new recipe; see Heads Up below)
- Frosted Crisp Apple (seasonal)
- Frosted Eggo® Maple Flavor (new recipe; see Heads Up below)
- Frosted Gingerbread (seasonal; confirm packaging when released – was dairy-free in prior year)
- Frosted Grape
- Frosted Hot Fudge Sundae
- Frosted Lemon Crème Pie
- Frosted Lemon Groove Pink Lemonade
- Frosted Raspberry
- Frosted Strawberry
- Frosted Wildlicious Wild Berry
- Red White & Blueberry (limited edition)
- Simply Frosted Harvest Strawberry
- Unfrosted Blueberry
- Unfrosted Brown Sugar Cinnamon
- Unfrosted Strawberry
- Bites – Frosted Blueberry
- Bites – Frosted Brown Sugar Cinnamon
- Bites – Frosted Strawberry
- Bites – Frosted Strawberry Banana
Heads Up! In the summer of 2022, the Frosted Boston Crème Donut, Frosted Eggo® Maple Flavor, and Frosted Confetti Cupcake Pop-Tarts were reformulated to remove the milk allergen. So the new packages are dairy-free by ingredients. But as always, double check the ingredients before purchasing. This product has a long shelf-life, so boxes with the old formulas (that contain milk, which is clearly labeled) could linger in stores for a while.
Discontinued Flavors: The Fruit Loops, Frosted Cinnamon Roll, Tropical Mango, Frosted Peach Cobbler, and Whole Grain Frosted Cinnamon Pop-Tarts are dairy-free by ingredients. They are no longer in production, or are seasonal flavors, but you might still run across old inventory on shelves or online.
Vegan Pop-Tarts Do Exist!
All frosted varieties of Pop-Tarts contain gelatin. The following flavors are made without milk, egg, gelatin, honey, or other known non-vegan ingredients.
- Snickerdoodle Pop-Tarts
- Unfrosted Blueberry Pop-Tarts
- Unfrosted Brown Sugar Cinnamon Pop-Tarts
- Unfrosted Strawberry Pop-Tarts
Heads Up! The Following Pop-Tart Flavors CONTAIN Milk
- Cinnamon Sugar Pretzel
- Frosted Eggo® Maple Flavor (old recipe – some may still be on shelves)
- Frosted Boston Crème Donut (old recipe – some may still be on shelves)
- Frosted Chocolate Chip
- Frosted Chocolate Fudge
- Frosted Confetti Cupcake (old recipe – some may still be on shelves)
- Frosted Cookies & Crème
- Frosted S’Mores
- Salted Caramel Pretzel
- Bites – Frosted Chocolatey Fudge
- Bites – Frosted Confetti Cake
- Bites – Haunted Frosted Chocolatey Fudge (seasonal)
Discontinued Flavors: The Frosted Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough, Frosted Red Velvet Cupcake, and Pumpkin Pie Pop-Tarts do contain milk. They are no longer being produced, or are seasonal flavors, but you might still run across old inventory on shelves or online.
Dairy-Free Guide to Other Toaster Pastry Brands
Outside of Pop-Tarts, the dairy-free toaster pastry selection is slim. We have quick details below on the other brands currently available in stores.
- Bobo’s Toasters – At last check, all flavors of Bobo’s Toaster Pastries were dairy-free, soy-free, vegan, certified gluten-free, and certified kosher pareve. They come in Cinnamon Brown Sugar, Apple Pie, Strawberry, and Raspberry, and are all unfrosted.
- Great Value Toaster Pastries – They might look just like Kellogg’s, but all varieties of Walmart brand toaster pastries do contain milk (whey).
- Kroger Toaster Treats – At last check, all varieties of Kroger Toaster Treats also contain milk (whey).
- Legendary Foods Tasty Pastry – Alas, these low carb toaster pastries are simply loaded with milk, including both casein and whey proteins.
- Nature’s Path Toaster Pastries – Only their Unfrosted Berry Strawberry Toaster Pastries are dairy-free by ingredients. All of Nature’s Path Frosted varieties contain whey protein.
- Pillsbury Toaster Strudels – When reviewed, all Pillsbury Toaster Strudels contained milk. See out Dairy-Free Pillsbury Guide for some of their milk-free products.