In Go Dairy Free 2nd Edition, I promised to share the brands and ingredients I used for testing the recipes in that book. And I finally have them altogether in this post. Below is a quick list of the specific products I used for Go Dairy Free ingredients during recipe testing.
I have included links directly to the products to help you easily locate them online or in stores. Some of these links do include Amazon affiliate links (where I often buy them!). The proceeds help to keep this site running, so I appreciate your support! I was not paid by any brands for inclusion on this list. It’s an honest reflection of my own dairy-free kitchen and how I got the best cookbook results.
This post doubles as a massive shopping list for the entire book, but you might prefer my Printable Pantry Shopping List. If you have a copy of Go Dairy Free and need suggestions for another ingredient option, send me an email through our Contact Us page. I provide customer support for my books!
Go Dairy Free is a cookbook by Alisa Fleming, the founder of Go Dairy Free Click the image above for more information and to purchase Go Dairy Free: The Guide and Cookbook.
Go Dairy Free Ingredients: The Brands Used for Testing
If I tested the recipes with more than one brand of a particular ingredient, then I noted each one. I’ve also included Notes about several of the Brands after this Go Dairy Free ingredients list. There is some important information in that section, particularly for those dealing with severe milk allergies.
- Coffee Powder – Anthony’s Organic Instant Coffee
- Dairy-Free Milk Beverage – Pure Nut Mylk Recipe
- (p 177 in Go Dairy Free), Instant Mylk (p 178 in Go Dairy Free), So Delicious Unsweetened Coconut Milk Beverage, or Ripple Unsweetened Pea Milk*
- Dairy-Free Milk Powder, Coconut – Native Forest
- Dairy-Free Milk Powder, Rice (optional) – I used Growing Naturals, which is discontinued. Other brands include Better Than Milk (most popular), Namaste Foods (most allergen safe), and Essona Organics (most natural).
- Flavored Liqueur – Little bottles at the store (most brands are dairy free)
- Juice, Cherry – Trader Joe’s Just Cherry (not Tart Cherry)
- Juice, Orange – Trader Joe’s Not From Concentrate and Florida’s Natural with Calcium
- Juice, Pineapple – Dole and Lakewood Organic (for Fresh Pressed)
- Rum (optional) – Bicardi White
- White Wine – Charles Shaw Pinot Grigio (Trader Joe’s)
*I do not recommend using a milk beverage with added protein in sauces or other recipes heated on the stove top or in the microwave. It can produce undesirable results. But they do work well for many other types of recipes.
Flours & Starches
- All-Purpose Flour – King Arthur Unbleached
- Almond Meal – I ground my own from almonds with a spice grinder.
- Bread Flour (optional) – King Arthur
- Brown Rice Flour* – Bob’s Red Mill and Authentic Foods Superfine
- Chickpea / Garbanzo Bean Flour (optional) – Bob’s Red Mill
- Cornstarch (Non-GMO) – Bob’s Red Mill (can sub Arrowroot Starch)
- Modified Starch (optional) – Dr. Oetker Whip It
- Oat Flour – I ground my own from oats with a spice grinder.
- Potato Starch* – Bob’s Red Mill
- Semolina Flour (optional) – Bob’s Red Mill
- Spelt Flour – Bob’s Red Mill and One Degree Organic Sprouted
- Sweet White Rice Flour* – Bob’s Red Mill
- Tapioca Starch – Bob’s Red Mill
- Wheat Bran – Bob’s Red Mill
- Wheat Gluten – Grain Brain
- White Whole Wheat Flour – Bob’s Red Mill Ivory Wheat and King Arthur
- Whole Wheat Pastry Flour (can sub All-Purpose Flour) – Bob’s Red Mill
*Not needed if you cook/bake with wheat.
Cereals & Grains
- Barley – Bob’s Red Mill Pearl (not needed for gluten-free recipe version)
- Cereal, Crispy Rice – Erewhon Organic
- Cereal, 7- or 8-Grain (optional) –Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-Free 8-Grain Hot Cereal
- Cornmeal – Bob’s Red Mill
- Oats, Quick – Bob’s Red Mill (I use the Certified Gluten Free version, see the Brand Notes below)
- Oats, Rolled – Bob’s Red Mill (I use the Certified Gluten Free version, see the Brand Notes below)
- Polenta, Dry – Bob’s Red Mill
- Popcorn – Trader Joe’s Organic (much cheaper in store) and Bob’s Red Mill White
- Quinoa – Bob’s Red Mill
- Rice, Arborio* – Lundberg Family Farms
- Rice, Brown* – Lundberg Organic Brown Basmati
- Rice, White* – Trader Joe’s Jasmine (from Thailand) and Lundberg Organic Sushi (Short Grain from California)
*See my post on No-Fuss Rice for rice purchasing tips.
Oil & Fats
- Avocado Oil (optional) – Ellyndale Naturals
- Cocoa Butter, Food Grade – Navitas Naturals and Blue Mountain Organics
- Coconut Butter – Nutiva Organic Coconut Manna
- Coconut Oil – Trader Joe’s Organic Virgin Unrefined and Nutiva Organic Virgin Unrefined
- Grapeseed Oil – Trader Joe’s (much cheaper in store)
- Olive Oil – Ellyndale Organic Extra Virgin and Filippo Berio Extra Light (for higher heat)
- Non-Hydrogenated Margarine / Buttery Spread – Bakeable Butter (p 192 in Go Dairy Free), Earth Balance Soy-Free Buttery Spread or Sticks
- Palm Shortening, Sustainable – Spectrum Organic
- Red Palm Oil, Sustainable (optional) – Nutiva Organic
- Rice Bran Oil – Ellyndale Organic
- Sesame Seed Oil – Ellyndale Organic
- Agave Nectar* – Wholesome Organic Blue
- Blackstrap Molasses – Wholesome Molasses
- Brown Sugar – Trader Joe’s Organic (much cheaper in store)
- Cane Sugar – Trader Joe’s Organic
- Coconut Sugar – Bob’s Red Mill Organic
- Corn Syrup or Golden Syrup – Wholesome Organic Light Corn Syrup and Lyle’s Golden Syrup
- Honey – Trader Joe’s Multi-Floral & Clover (much cheaper in store) and Nature Nate’s Raw
- Light Molasses – Grandma’s Original
- Maple Syrup – NOW Foods Organic Grade A Dark Color (formerly Grade B)
- Powdered Confectioners’ Sugar – Trader Joe’s Organic (much cheaper in store)
- Stevia Extract (optional) – NuNaturals Alcohol-Free Liquid
*Not needed if you use honey.
- Cocoa Powder – Trader Joe’s (natural version; much cheaper in store) and Equal Exchange Organic (Dutch processed version)
- Dark Chocolate – Enjoy Life Morsels and Scharffen Berger Bittersweet Baking Bar
- Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips – Enjoy Life Minis (see my Chocolate Chips Guide for more options)
Other Baking Supplies
- Active Dry Yeast – Bob’s Red Mill and Fleischmann’s
- Agar Agar Powder – Frontier Natural
- Baking Powder – Trader Joe’s (much cheaper in store)
- Baking Soda – Trader Joe’s (much cheaper in store)
- Carob Powder – Chatfield’s
- Graham Cracker Crumbs – crushed Erewhon Organic (discontinued) and Kinnikinnick Gluten Free
- Maple Extract (optional) – Frontier Co-op Maple Flavor
- Marshmallows (optional) – Dandies Vegan Mini Marshmallows
- Orange Extract (optional) – Simply Organic
- Peppermint Extract – Simply Organic
- Powdered Egg Replacer* – Ener-G and Bob’s Red Mill
- Sunflower or Soy Lecithin – Now Foods Liquid Sunflower Lecithin
- Vanilla Extract – Simply Organic Pure Vanilla Extract
- Vanilla Flavoring or Paste – Simply Organic Pure Vanilla Flavoring and Rodelle All Natural Vanilla Paste
- Xanthan Gum – Bob’s Red Mill
*Not needed if you use eggs.
Nut & Seed Butters
- Almond Butter – Trader Joe’s Creamy Salted (much cheaper in store)
- Cashew Butter (optional) – Trader Joe’s Creamy Salted (much cheaper in store)
- Peanut Butter – Santa Cruz Organic Creamy and Trader Joe’s Creamy Unsalted, Trader Joe’s Creamy Salted (TJ’s products are much cheaper in store)
- Sunflower Seed Butter* – SunButter Creamy Original and Trader Joe’s Creamy (much cheaper in store)
- Tahini – Trader Joe’s Organic and Kevala Organic
*Not needed if you use nuts or peanuts.
Nuts & Seeds
- Almonds – Trader Joe’s Raw (much cheaper in store)
- Cashews – NOW Foods Raw
- Chia Seeds – Bob’s Red Mill
- Coconut Flakes – Bob’s Red Mill
- Coconut Shreds – Let’s Do Organic Unsweetened
- Flax Seeds – Bob’s Red Mill Organic
- Hemp Seeds – Navitas Organic Raw
- Hazelnuts – Trader Joe’s Raw Oregon Hazelnuts
- Macadamia Nuts (optional) – Trader Joe’s Dry Roasted Unsalted
- Peanut Powder – Crazy Richards Pure PB
- Peanuts – Trader Joe’s Organic Valencia Roasted & Salted
- Pecans – Trader Joe’s Raw Halves and Kirkland
- Pine Nuts – Trader Joe’s Raw Pignolias
- Pistachios – Fiddyment Farms Gourmet Raw Pistachio Kernels
- Pumpkin Seeds – Gerbs Raw Pumpkin Seed Kernels
- Sliced Almonds – Trader Joe’s Raw (much cheaper in store)
- Sunflower Seeds – Bob’s Red Mill Raw
- Sesame Seeds – Bob’s Red Mill Raw (I toast them in a pan when toasted is needed)
- Tiger Nuts – Supreme and Organic Gemini
- Walnuts – Trader Joe’s Walnut Halves & Pieces
- Applesauce – Santa Cruz Organic Unsweetened (I use the small cups as one is usually enough for a recipe)
- Crushed Pineapple – Dole in Juice
- Dried Apples – Trader Joe’s Sweet Apple Rings (much cheaper in store)
- Dried Blueberries or Cherries – Kirkland Signature Dried Blueberries and Trader Joe’s Unsweetened Dark Sweet Cherries
- Dried Cranberries – Trader Joe’s (much cheaper in store; Steve’s PaleoGoods are unsweetened)
- Dried Figs – Trader Joe’s Black Mission and Anna & Sarah Black Mission
- Freeze-Dried Pineapple – Natierra
- Freeze-Dried Strawberries – Trader Joe’s (much cheaper in store)
- Medjool Dates – Trader Joe’s (Terrasoul are also excellent)
- Pineapple Chunks – Dole in Juice
- Raisins – Trader Joe’s Organic Thompson and Sun-Maid Organic
Dried Herbs & Spices
- Allspice – Simply Organic
- Basil – Simply Organic
- Black Pepper – Simply Organic Get Grackin’ Grinder and Simply Organic Ground
- Cardamom – Simply Organic
- Cayenne – Simply Organic
- Chili Powder – Simply Organic
- Chinese Five-Spice Powder – Frontier Co-op
- Chipotle Chili Powder – Simply Organic
- Chives – Frontier Co-op Organic
- Cinnamon – Frontier Co-op Organic
- Cloves – Simply Organic
- Coriander – Simply Organic
- Crushed Red Pepper – McCormick
- Cumin – Simply Organic
- Curry Powder – Simply Organic
- Dill – Simply Organic
- Fennel Seeds – Simply Organic
- Garlic Powder – Simply Organic
- Ginger, Ground – Simply Organic
- Marjoram – The Spice Hunter
- Mustard Powder – Simply Organic
- Nutmeg – Simply Organic
- Nutritional Yeast – Bob’s Red Mill
- Onion Powder – McCormick
- Oregano – Simply Organic
- Paprika – Simply Organic
- Parsley – Simply Organic
- Pumpkin Pie Spice – Homemade (recipe in book)
- Sage, Ground – Simply Organic
- Salt – Trader Joe’s Fine Sea Salt (much cheaper in store) and Celtic Fine Sea Salt
- Smoked Paprika – Simply Organic
- Thyme – Simply Organic
- Turmeric, Ground – Simply Organic
- White Pepper – Simply Organic
- Beef Broth** – 365 Organic
- Chicken Broth – Imagine Foods Organic and Imagine Foods Organic No-Chicken (vegan)
- Mushroom Broth*** – Pacific Foods Organic
- Vegetable Broth – Trader Joe’s Organic Hearty
*I do not use low-sodium broth in recipes. If you use low sodium, you might need to add more salt to the recipe for optimum taste.
** Not needed if you don’t eat meat. Vegan options are provided.
*** Not needed if you use beef broth.
Other Canned, Aseptic, or Jarred Pantry Supplies
- Artichoke Hearts – Trader Joe’s Artichoke Hearts Packed in Water (much cheaper in store)
- Black Beans – Trader Joe’s Organic
- Beans, Pinto (optional) – Eden Organic
- Black Olives – Lindsay Naturals
- Cannellini Beans – Trader Joe’s White Kidney Beans
- Capers – San Antonio
- Chickpeas – Trader Joe’s Organic Garbanzo Beans
- Chipotle Chile In Adobo Sauce – San Marcos and La Morena
- Coconut Cream* – I use the cream skimmed from chilled coconut milk.
- Coconut Milk* – So Delicious Original Culinary (discontinued), Thai Kitchen, and 365 Organic Everyday Value
- Crushed Tomatoes – Muir Glen Organic Fire Roasted
- Diced Tomatoes – Muir Glen Organic No Salt
- Green Chiles – Trader Joe’s Fire Roasted Diced Green Chiles (can)
- Green Olives (optional) – Lindsay Naturals
- Kalamata Olives – Mediterranean Organic Pitted
- Lite Coconut Milk* – So Delicious Lite Culinary and Thai Kitchen
- Mushrooms (optional) – Native Forest Organic
- Pumpkin Puree – Trader Joe’s Organic and Farmer’s Market Organic and Libby’s
- Roasted Red Bell Peppers – Mezzetta
- Salsa – Trader Joe’s Chunky Salsa (mild to medium heat)
- Tomato Paste – Amore and Muir Glen Organic
- Tomato Sauce – Hunt’s
- Salmon, Canned** – Pure Alaska Think Pink and Wild Planet Albacore
*Do not substitute coconut milk beverage or another milk beverage in recipes that call for coconut milk or lite coconut milk. See my Coconut Milk Guide for a visual and more tips.
** Not needed if you don’t eat meat. Vegan options are provided.
Other Sauces & Seasonings
- Apple Cider Vinegar – Bragg Organic and Trader Joe’s Organic (much cheaper in store)
- Balsamic Vinegar – Trader Joe’s
- Coconut Aminos – Coconut Secret (for soy-free needs only)
- Dijon Mustard – Grey Poupon and Organicville
- Hot Sauce – Trader Joe’s Jalapeno Pepper (much cheaper in store)
- Ketchup – Organicville and Heinz Organic
- Liquid Smoke – Wright’s
- Mayonnaise – Trader Joe’s Real Mayonnaise and Vegenaise Grapeseed or Soy-Free (for egg-free needs only)
- Miso, White – Cold Mountain Mellow White Miso and Miso Master Chickpea Miso (for soy-free)
- Rice Vinegar – Marukan Unseasoned
- Salsa – Trader Joe’s Chunky
- Sherry – Trader Joe’s Pastora
- Soy Sauce / Tamari – San-J Gluten Free
- White Vinegar – a generic – any old brand will do!
- White Wine Vinegar – Pompeian
- Worcestershire Sauce – Lea & Perrins and Annie’s Organic (for vegan)
- Canadian Bacon – Applegate Naturals Uncured and Yves (for vegan)
- Bacon – Applegate Naturals and Lightlife (for vegan)
- Deli Turkey (optional)* – Applegate Naturals
- Pepperoni – Applegate Uncured and Yves (for vegan)
- Protein Powder – Growing Naturals Original Pea Protein
- Sausage, Mild or Hot Italian – We typically get butcher-made in store, but Al Fresco Natural Fresh Chicken Sausages are a good option and Field Roast Italian (for vegan)
- Soybeans, Dry – Bob’s Red Mill (discontinued – I’ve heard that Laura Non-GMO and Be Still Farms Organic are good)
- Tofu, Silken Soft – Mori-nu
- Tofu, Silken Firm – Mori-nu Organic
- Tofu, Silken Extra-Firm – Mori-nu
- Tofu, Firm – Nasoya Organic
- Tofu, Extra-Firm – Trader Joe’s Organic Sprouted and Nasoya Organic
* Not needed if you don’t eat meat. Vegan options are provided.
**Not needed if you aren’t vegan.
Pasta, Bread & Wraps
- Bread Crumbs – I ground them from bread.
- Corn Tortillas – Trader Joe’s
- English Muffins – Trader Joe’s Whole Wheat British Muffins, Rudi’s Organic Whole Grain, and Katz Gluten Free
- Gnocchi* (optional) – World Market
- Hamburger Buns – Speedy Wheat Buns Recipe and Skinny Gluten-Free Buns Recipe
- Nori Sheets – One Organic
- Pasta, Alphabet or Ring – Goya Alphabet, Pagasa Alphabet, and Sam Mills Pasta d’oro Elbows (for gluten-free; Tinkyada Little Dreams look fun too!)
- Pasta, Lasagna – Barilla Whole Grain and Tinkyada (for gluten-free)
- Pasta, Macaroni – Barilla and Sam Mills Pasta d’oro Elbows (for gluten-free)
- Pasta, Rotini or Fusilli – Barilla and Sam Mills Pasta d’oro (for gluten-free)
- Pasta, Spaghetti or Linguine – Barilla and Sam Mills Pasta d’oro (for gluten-free)
- Rice Noodles – Sunvoi Rice Sticks
- Udon or Soba Noodles – Hakubaku Organic and King Soba Organic Gluten Free (for gluten-free)
- Wonton Wrappers (optional) – Nasoya Organic
- Probiotic Powder – Klaire Labs Ther-Biotic Complete
A Few Notes About the Brands
Important: Always make sure the products you pick are safe for your needs! Check the ingredients and if a severe food allergy or celiac disease is a concern, always contact the manufacturer to ensure that their processes are safe for your needs, regardless of what the label does or doesn’t say.
Bob’s Red Mill
I typically use their certified gluten free products, because they are made in their gluten-free facility, which is also dairy free. They do process products with milk in their other facility, where the wheat products are produced. However, the wheat products mentioned are certified Kosher pareve. As with any product, contact the manufacturer to discuss their processes to ensure they are safe for your needs.
Enjoy Life Foods
All of their products are dairy free, and most are made in their dedicated dairy-free facility. Their chocolate isn’t, but it is made on a dedicated dairy-free line, which is a big bonus in the milk-filled chocolate world!
I actually bought a bunch of spices from a little shop when traveling, but I don’t remember there name! I then got a whole set of Simply Organic spices with spice rack gifted to me by the company. Since then, I’ve been buying their brand to replenish that pretty rack. Their product is fantastic, and I was told by their team that they follow rigorous allergen protocols. But of course, make sure the spice brand you choose is safe for your needs. As a side note, Frontier Co-op and Simply Organic are brands of the same company.
This is a store brand; Trader Joe’s stores are a popular fixture throughout the United States with good prices on natural foods. Their prices in store are MUCH better than on Amazon (these are resellers). I’ve only linked up to Amazon for Trader Joe’s products that aren’t listed on the Trader Joe’s website. It’s for informational help. I do encourage buying good quality generics when you find safe options. They can be very budget-friendly! Although more of a distant cousin to Aldi, you can probably find a lot of comparable items in Aldi stores.
I’ve got this one saved! Great resource that I will use the more I dive into the book! Was pulling it out this weekend to play!!
I hope you enjoy it Lorie!
This is such a wonderful resource to go along with your book! Thanks so much for taking the time to put this amazing list together!
Thank you Jessica!
My daughter-in-law is allergic to dairy things AND nuts. Can you recommend dairy free products (refrigerated or frozen things) she can have. I check vegan recipes for her , although she isn’t vegan or a vegetarian, but so many things use nuts.
Hi Sue, there are tons of nut-free, dairy-free foods! For starters, our entire website and both of my books are completely dairy-free. So you can start there and then enjoy the nut-free options with her. Both books, Go Dairy Free and Eat Dairy Free (available via all major booksellers) have full allergen charts for the recipes to find nut-free options at a glance. To go with that, I have a dairy-free, nut-free pantry stocking list -> https://www.godairyfree.org/news/dairy-free-pantry-list-printables (4th one down). As for products, this dairy-free / nut-free snack list has a ton of great brands -> https://www.godairyfree.org/news/dairy-free-pantry-list-printables. I don’t have a product section specifically for nut-free, but we have the nut-free tag on our site, which includes all nut-free posts (again, everything is dairy-free) including recipes and product options -> https://www.godairyfree.org/tag/nut-free. So nice of you to think of her!
This is absolutely wonderful, Alisa! Congratulations to you on your second edition and I can’t wait to give your recipes a try. I love your list of ingredients, too 🙂
Thank you Whitney!
Hi Joan, there is a whole section in the book on how to substitute butter. For the recipes, it is under “Oils & Fats” above. “Non-Hydrogenated Margarine / Buttery Spread – Bakeable Butter (p 192 in Go Dairy Free), Earth Balance Soy-Free Buttery Spread or Sticks” – so I tested with that brand and the recipe.
OMG I LOVE THIS! I have been dairy free for years now but always looking for new tasty products.
Happy to help! These are the ones that have worked for me!