I was leery when I first heard of hemp-based ice cream, but it received rave reviews, even from dairy-consuming columnists. On first trial, we decided to get two pints, and I let my husband pick. He chose Mint-Chip (yes!) and Chocolate Fudge. After silently whining about his chocolatey choice for a few minutes, I realized I could dress up the chocolate ice cream… Right away I was set on a peanut butter ice cream topping.
But unlike ordinary drizzles this peanut butter ice cream topping (adapted from the homemade “chocolate” recipes in my book, Go Dairy Free: The Guide and Cookbook) is like a Magic Shell! As soon as it hits the cool ice cream, it begins to set up into a firm but breakable, buttery coating.
As it turned out, the ice cream tasted pretty awesome, and didn’t really need a topping. It has a semi-deep fudgsicle flavor with a pleasant chocolate fudge ribbon throughout. But as you can imagine, the homemade magic shell propelled the dessert to an indulgent sundae level. And who doesn’t love the classic peanut butter chocolate combo?!
It takes just minutes to whip up and will take any ice cream up a notch!
Special Diet Notes: Peanut Butter Ice Cream Topping
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, soy-free, vegan, plant-based, and vegetarian.
If nuts aren’t a problem, it is also tasty with almond or cashew butter. If coconut is a problem for you, melted cocoa butter is amazing as a 1:1 substitute. Look for it with the raw food items in natural food stores, or purchase online.
- 2 teaspoons creamy peanut butter (sub sunflower seed butter or soy butter for nut-free)
- ½ tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar or powdered coconut sugar (grind in a spice grinder for 30 seconds)
- Few drops of vanilla extract (optional)
- Tiny pinch of salt (omit if using salted nut or seed butter)
- In a small dish, melt together the peanut butter (or alternative) and the coconut oil (I just place them in the microwave for 10 to 15 seconds). With a fork, whisk in the sugar, vanilla, and salt, if using.
- Scoop ice cream, drizzle peanut butter ice cream topping on. Watch the magic happen.