Urban Vegan – In a recent article in the New York Times, Mark Bittman shared "Summer Express: 101 Simple Meals ready in 10 Minutes or Less." This was obviously an attention grabber. Yet, one industrious vegan felt that such a list should be available to special dieters. In what seems to be record time, they put together no less than 101 speedy vegan meal ideas! …
A few of our summertime favorites are:
6. Gazpacho. Combine 1 pound tomatoes cut into chunks, a peeled chunked cucumber, 3 slices stale cubed bread, 1/4 cup olive oil, 2 T sherry vinegar and 2 cloves garlic in a blender. Process til smooth adding water if needed. Season with salt, pepper and a dab of diluted miso paste.
20. Nicoise Salad: Toss drained canned green beans, a microwaved, chopped potato, tomatoes, olives, and romaine lettuce. Arrange on a plate with canned, drained chickpeas, sliced cucumber. Dress with a vinaigrette made with a bit of Dijon mustard.
21. Cold soba with dipping sauce: Cook soba noodles. Rinse in cold water until col. Toss with soy sauce and minced garlic diluted with mirin or dry sake.
23. Taco Salad. Ross together greens, chopped tomato. chopped red onion. sliced avocado, a small drained can of black beans. and kernels from a few ears of corn, Toss with crumbled tortilla chips. Dress with lime, olive oil and chopped cilantro.
52. Pit and chop a cup or more of mixed olives. Combine with olive oil, a little minced garlic, red pepper flakes and chopped basil or parsley. Serve over pasta.
63. Veggie burger: Drain and pour a 14-ounce can of beans into a food processor with an onion, half a cup rolled oats, a tablespoon chili powder or other spice mix,, salt and pepper, and water as needed. Process until mushy, then shape into burgers, adding a little liquid or oats as necessary. Cook in oil about three minutes a side and serve.
76.PB & J redux: Make a PB & J sandwich. Or use almond butter and apple butter. Or cashew butter and chutney.
79. Philly Mushroom Steak: Sauté 3 chopped Portobello mushrooms and an onion in olive oil. Place in a hoagie roll lined with slices of vegan cheddar.
Curious? Head over to Urban Vegan to check out the other 93 ideas!
[Note: 10 mins. doesn't count time to boil water, cook rice, etc.]