Many years ago, we held a dairy-free ice cream recipe contest using Go Veggie Vegan Cream Cheese Alternative. It brought in a great selection of frozen desserts, but the winner was this dairy-free carrot cake ice cream recipe by Sarah Hatfield. I haven’t made any changes to it – it’s perfect as is – but have since updated this post!
Dairy-Free Carrot Cake Ice Cream infused with “Cream Cheese” Frosting
How good is this recipe? After she won the contest, I asked Sarah to come work with Go Dairy Free! I think that speaks for itself. Here’s how she ended up creating this wonderful treat.
I came up with the carrot cake recipe idea on a vacation with my extended family. We were all sitting around talking and I was explaining the contest details – that I had to incorporate dairy-free cream cheese alternative as an ingredient. My sister suggested I try creating a dairy-free carrot cake ice cream. She said what goes better with cream cheese than carrot cake. As soon as I returned home, I started working on the recipe. It took a few tests to get it perfect, but everyone was happy with the results.
Fortunately, I was already familiar with Go Vegan Dairy-Free Cream Cheese, as we have enjoyed it in a variety of recipes – from savory to sweet. It’s sometimes challenging for us to find products that everyone in our family can enjoy because some of us can eat dairy and some of us can’t. When I find a product that tastes great and everyone enjoys, like this one, it’s a win-win.
Our family’s favorite savory dish using the dairy-free cream cheese is a Veggie Pizza with a layer of the cream cheese then topped with veggies. It’s absolutely delicious! For sweet, this dairy-free carrot cake ice cream is obviously a new favorite.
Special Diet Notes: Dairy-Free Carrot Cake Ice Cream
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, grain-free, nut-free, peanut-free, optionally soy-free, vegan, plant-based, and vegetarian. Just be sure to pick the cream cheese and yogurt alternatives that suit your dietary needs.
- 2 cups 100% carrot juice
- 8 ounces plain dairy-free yogurt (see note below)
- 1 (8-ounce) tub dairy-free cream cheese alternative
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- Add the carrot juice, yogurt, cream cheese alternative, sugar, lemon juice, vanilla, and salt to your food processor or blender. Process or blend until the mixture is smooth.
- Refrigerate the mixture for 2 hours.
- Freeze the mixture in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's directions.
- Eat as soft serve, or pack the mixture into a freezer-safe container and freeze until firm.
- Remove from freezer and let soften a few minutes before serving.