Daiya Foods just issued the following update about their popular vegan "cheese" shreds:
"Working closely with our Rabbi, Daiya products can now boast OU kosher parve status.
Daiya staff and our OU Rabbinic Coordinator have confirmed that all raw materials and equipment used in the production and R&D of Daiya products remain in line with the high standards set by OU certification.
The OU Kosher symbol has been added to the next packaging print and you can expect to see it on the shelves later this summer."
Daiya Cheddar-Style and Mozarella-Style Shreds are made entirely from plant-based ingredients and are touted on their website as:
- Cholesterol free
- Trans Fat free
- Dairy free [note: this term includes casein, lactose, and whey, which are all derivatives of dairy]
- Free of all animal products (Vegan)
- Free of common allergens including: Soy, Casein, Lactose, Gluten, Egg, Wheat, Barley, Whey, Rice, and Nuts
- Free of Artificial Ingredients
- Free of Preservatives
- Free of Hormones & Antibiotics
Many dairy-free individuals count on the OU parve certification to indicate "safe" foods, but it is still important to always check with the manufacturer regarding potential cross-contamination issues where severe allergies are a concern. Even the OU Kosher website warns that although they require strict policies and cleaning processes to obtain certification, cross-contamination potential should be considered and discussed with the company.
For taste-testing reviews of Daiya's cheese alternative see the following articles: