The fall issue of Allergic Living Magazine hit the shelves this month, and we were honored to see a glowing review of Go Dairy Free: The Guide and Cookbook featured within. Thank you to writer Gwen Smith for her thorough review in the October 2009 book review section. Gwen writes,
"Author Alisa Marie Fleming calls this a “guide and cookbook,” and what particularly impresses is the depth of the former. This is no quick gloss-over: it’s a comprehensive, must-have resource for those avoiding dairy. The author, who’s well-known for her website Godairyfree.org, walks the reader through the dairy allergy basics and offers extensive lists of both hidden dairy sources and ingredients that will inspire.
There are thorough sections on dairy substitutes (homemade margarine, anyone?) and creative recipes, from soups to salads to curries and Make Your Own Pizza (without cheese.) Baking without dairy is usually a challenge, but Fleming rises to the task with the likes of Coconut Fudge Brownies, Orange Chocolate Chunk Cup- cakes, and Pumpkin “Cheesecake”."
Gwen also gave a positive review to one of my new favorites, Enjoy Life's Cookies for Everyone!, so I feel honored that we are in such good company.
Even beyond the reviews, this is an excellent issue to add to your magazine collection. The featured articles include:
- Who’s Watching Allergic Kids at Lunch.
- Dairy Allergy and the School.
- Celiac, Fertility’s Thief: Elisabeth Hasselbeck and others on the ease of getting pregnant once diagnosed, following the G-F diet.
- Fabulous Fall recipes include: Allergy-safe Moroccan Chicken-Vegetable Casserole; Root Vegetable Slaw; Apple Crisp, Sweet Potato Fries.
- Product Reviews: Allergy-safe breakfast; bun maker for intolerant, allergic; fall makeup for sensitive skin.
- The Allergic Diva: Pamela Lee’s outstanding “starter” cruise.
- Ask the Celiac Expert: How to set up a gluten-free kitchen.
- Gluten-free Girl: The Joy of Preserves.
- Cookbook Reviews: Cookies for Everyone; Go Dairy Free; Gluten Free Every Day Cookbook.
- Breathing Space: The Lung Association supplement. Includes: Lobby against pets on planes and H1N1 advice.
- Allergy news: Public misinformed on allergies; anaphylaxis molecule found; cankers and celiac.
Subscriptions to Allergic Living are available to residents of the U.S. and Canada. More information is available on the Allergic Living website.