Letting your child out of your care to attend summer day camp can be stressful, especially if they’re one of the millions of Americans living with celiac disease or food allergies. In an effort to make summer camp snacking safer this season, Enjoy Life Foods, a leading producer of high-quality gluten-free, allergy-friendly fare, shares a few tips (and recipes!) on how to keep kids happy, full, and allergy-free!
How can you keep your child safe at camp?
- Begin by alerting the camp staff and nurse of the allergy, including specific dangerous foods, ways to avoid contamination, and how to respond in case of a reaction. This list should also include symptoms of a reaction for staff to watch for. It may also help to have the camp contact other parents in your child’s group to alert them and discuss the matter with their child.
- Send hand sanitizer or wipes with your child and make sure they clean their hands before eating, and remember, no sharing food or utensils!
- Send a package of high-energy, safe snacks to be kept at camp in case your child forgets their lunch, needs a quick snack, or doesn’t want to feel left out when the other campers are having a sweet treat. Try Enjoy Life snack bars, cookies, trail mix, or one of the following easy recipes …
Crunchy Power Bars
Recipe from the Enjoy Life team.
- 1 Cup Sunflower Seed Butter (like SunButter)
- 3/4 – 1 Cup Brown Rice Syrup
- 1/2 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1/8 Teaspoon Salt
- 10 Ounces Crispy Cereal (like Enjoy Life Crunchy Flax or Crunchy Rice Cereal)
- 1/4 Cup Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips (Enjoy Life Mini Chocolate Chips and Chocolate Chunks are made in a free-from facility)
- Optional: 1/4 Cup Dried Fruit (chopped), 1/4 Cup Seeds or Nuts, 1/4 Cup Shredded or Flaked Coconut
Stir together first four ingredients in a small saucepan over medium-low heat until melted.
Place cereal, chocolate chips [and optional ingredients, if using]into a large bowl.
Add warmed ingredients to bowl and mix well.
Press into greased 8″x8″ pan.
Let cool before slicing.
Makes 1 dozen bars
This recipe is from Enjoy Life’s Cookie’s for Everyone! Cookbook. These are yummy, portable brownies in a hurry.
- 1/2 Cup Unsweetened Applesauce
- 1/3 Cup Water
- 1/3 Cup Vegetable Oil
- 1 Tablespoon Vanilla Extract
- 3/4 Cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 1 Cup Superfine Sugar
- 1-1/3 Cups White Rice Flour
- 1/4 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1-1/2 Cups Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips (Enjoy Life Mini Chocolate Chips and Chocolate Chunks are made in a free-from facility)
Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C or gas mark 4).
With a mixer, beat the applesauce, water, oil vanilla, cocoa, and sugar until smooth. Add the flour, salt, and baking powder and mix until well combined.Stir in the chocolate chips.
Spoon batter into greased mini muffin tins. Do not over-fill.
Bake for about 25 minutes, or until brownie is firm around the corners and leaves an indentation when poked in the middle. Let cool completely, then remove from the tin with a small knife or spatula.
Frost or dust with powdered sugar if desired.
Makes 2 dozen bites
For more informaiton on food allergy-friendly camps, see the Go Dairy Free article on Summer Camp for Food Allergic & Gluten-Free Kids.
“Food allergies are a serious matter and can be scary to those that are unfamiliar with them, but allergic reactions are much easier to avoid than many people realize,” says Joel Warady, Chief Marketing Officer of Enjoy Life Foods. “A little education can go a long way in keeping your child safe, whether it’s at summer camp or in the classroom.”
About Enjoy Life Foods
Since 2001, Enjoy Life Foods has remained committed to providing consumers with gluten-free and allergy-friendly foods of the highest quality. Standing strongly behind their promise of “Taste, Trust, Love,” Enjoy Life manufactures a wide variety of cereals, cookies, granolas, snack bars, bagels, trail mixes, chocolate chips, and chocolate bars for the millions of Americans living with food allergies, lactose intolerance, and celiac disease. In addition to being free of the eight most common allergens (peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, milk, soy, wheat, fish, and shellfish), Enjoy Life guarantees that all products are made in a dedicated nut and gluten-free facility. Visit them online at www.enjoylifefoods.com, on Facebook at “Enjoy Life Foods,” or on Twitter at @ELFCeo.