Baby's Bliss GripeWater is an all natural herbal supplement used to ease the gas and stomach pain that is often associated with colic, hiccups, and teething. The Apple flavor specifically (not the Original) is being recalled, because it has tested positive for cryptosporidium, a parasite that causes intestinal infections. The following includes facts on this voluntary recall, and the symptoms of the infection:
- It is estimated that about 170,000 potentially affected items were bought between November 2006 and September 2007.
- The most common symptoms of infection by cryptosporidium are: watery diarrhea, dehydration, weight loss, stomach pains and cramps, fever, nausea and vomiting.
- The symptoms generally appear between two and ten days after the parasite has entered the body and may last up to two weeks.
- Most healthy people recover without treatment, but the infection can be life-threatening for babies and children who can become seriously ill from dehydration due to diarrhea.
- If your baby or child has recently drunk Baby's Bliss Gripewater, Apple Flavor and has displayed any of these symptoms, then you should take them to see a doctor at once.
- If your baby or child has recently drunk the product but is not showing any symptoms, monitor them very closely, especially for any signs of diarrhea that could be developing.
The following letter has been issued by Mom Enterprises, the U.S. distributor of Baby's Bliss:
"I want to thank the parents, families, retailers, and friends who have reached out to us regarding the recent voluntary recall of Apple Flavored Baby’s Bliss Gripewater (coded 26952V; expiration date: October 2008).
As a nurse who has cared for and nurtured babies for over 40 years, and as a mother of three children, I can completely relate to and understand your questions and concerns. On behalf of the entire team at Mom Enterprises, I want to assure you that we take this matter very seriously and there is nothing more important to us than the health and safety of our customers. We want to assure all of you that Mom Enterprises, Inc. has solid policies and procedures in place to ensure that our high quality and top standards are being met.
The voluntary recall was initiated immediately after the FDA reported finding Cryptosporidium, a parasite that may cause intestinal infections, in the Apple Flavored Baby’s Bliss Gripewater. The only product affected by this voluntary recall is the Apple Flavored Baby’s Bliss Gripewater. To date, there has only been one illness reported (August 2007).
We are working tirelessly to investigate the source and we continue to follow all policies and procedures to ensure top standards are being met.
If you are currently using the product, please discontinue the use immediately. We are offering a full refund to our customers; please call our toll-free hotline (877-457-4955) to arrange for your refund. You may also call this number with any questions or concerns regarding Apple Gripewater." – Roshan Kaderali, CEO for Mom Enterprises, Inc.
Company Website: http://www.blissbymom.com/