I was in a baking mood and Tony was in a cookie eating mood, so I whipped out my copy of Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar for a little inspiration. Isa’s Fudgy Oatmeal Cookies caught my eye, so I decided to give them a try – with a few modifications. It resulted in what I call chocolate explosion oatmeal cookies. These are simply bursting with flavor. Needless to say, these cookies were a big hit with Tony, and I liked them too!
Vegan Chocolate Explosion Oatmeal Cookies straight from Your Pantry
This is a completely butter-less recipe. I use extra-light olive oil, which melds perfectly, and helps to make these cookies friendly for even more allergy needs.
I omitted the fruit from the original recipe, and added more chocolate. I made a few other adjustments to the recipe including an ingredient swap or two, but stayed true to the concept. As a result, these are the most chocolaty oatmeal cookies I have ever tasted. They’re almost like an oatmeal-spiked brownie.
Mary has enjoyed this recipe a few times, adding some of her own twists.
They’re delicious!! Although I changed the recipe slightly. I added a little cayenne pepper (be careful not to add too much!!) and on my second batch I threw in a little golden syrup (not amazing for you, I know, but perfect in this) and they turned out lovely! I also substituted chopped mixed nuts (almond, peanut, walnut) for the chocolate chips, which really worked.
Special Diet Notes: Chocolate Explosion Oatmeal Cookies
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, plant-based, and vegetarian.
- 2 cups quick oats (not instant)
- 1⅔ cups whole wheat pastry flour
- ⅔ cup cocoa powder
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1½ cups sugar*
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed
- ⅔ cup unsweetened dairy-free milk beverage
- ⅔ cup olive oil (extra-light or regular)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup dairy-free chocolate chips (I used the mini-chips from Enjoy Life Foods)
- Preheat your oven to 350ºF and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the oats, flour, cocoa, salt, baking soda, and baking powder.
- Put the sugar, flax, milk beverage, oil, and vanilla in a large mixing bowl. Stir or mix with a hand mixer until smooth.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet, and stir until combined. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Drop the batter by the heaping spoonful onto your prepared baking sheets. Shape and flatten the cookies slightly, they only spread a wee bit.
- Cook for 10 minutes, or until the tops are no longer shiny.