Sweet Sundays: This recipe comes from our favorite online magazine (that’s free no less!) the Vegan Culinary Experience. It was created by one of their long-time contributors, Sharon Valencik, author of Sweet Utopia: Simply Stunning Vegan Desserts. Sharon added a unique twist to her class vegan mousse recipe for a dessert that is simply divine.
For more on Sharon, visit her at www.sweetutopia.com.
A few other fun and interesting notes about this recipe:
- Serve it with a vanilla biscotti and coffee for an over-the-top treat.
- The base of this recipe is silken tofu. Silken tofu becomes creamy when it’s whipped, but then re‐solidifies when chilled. Because whipping introduces air into the tofu, when it firms, it has a light and fluffy texture.
- A mousse does not necessarily have to be a dessert, though (like the recipe below) it frequently is. The word actually refers to the light and airy texture of the dish.
Now onto that simple, yet insanely rich dairy-free AND egg-free mousse recipe …
- 5 Ounces Bittersweet Chocolate, melted
- 1-1/2 Cups Silken Tofu, drained and at room temperature
- ⅔ Cup Granulated Sugar
- ⅓ Cup Merlot
- 1-1/2 Teaspoons Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1‐2 Tablespoons Chocolate Shavings and Berries, for garnish
- Melt the chocolate.
- Process all of the ingredients in a food processor or blender until creamy.
- Spoon into 4 ramekins or fancy glasses.
- Cover and refrigerate several hours or overnight before serving.
- Just before serving, sprinkle the chocolate shavings and berries over each serving of mousse.